Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: James Wright

A brother is Charles Frederick Dennett Wright – could that be the name on the certificate (minus the Charles)

WRIGHT, CHARLES FREDERICK DENNETT mmn STEER
    GRO Reference: 1877 D Quarter in CAMBERWELL Volume 01D Page 864
    Yes, Jomot, I do think the middle name could be Dennet, thank you for a great find
    Alma

That MMN matches up with the ones I found in post #3. I thought I'd (unsuccessfully) checked for a marriage between a Charles Wright and Eliza Steer but I obviously hadn't gone back quite far enough. because just now I've easily found Charles Austen (sic - clearly signed in church register) Wright marrying Eliza Steer, September quarter 1859 Lambeth registration district.
    And, well done, Pam
    Alma

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi
    I think I have not made myself very clear sorry! I'm trying to find James Thomas Wrights parents his father is down as Frederick James Wright on James wedding banns to Emma Pettett. But I cannot find James with his parents on any census or his birth. Once again sorry for the confusion
    Lj

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizziejane View Post
    Hi
    I think I have not made myself very clear sorry! I'm trying to find James Thomas Wrights parents his father is down as Frederick James Wright on James wedding banns to Emma Pettett. But I cannot find James with his parents on any census or his birth. Once again sorry for the confusion
    Lj
    Yes, Lj, we know. However one thing which doesn't add up is that the entry in the parish register for James' marriage does not say that James' father's name is Frederick James. The second name is something which ends in 'net', and I think Jomot1 found that answer in post #9.
    Now it's a case of trying to bring forward the family Jomot1 found in 1881 forward to 1891, and 1901.

My personal opinion is that James thoroughly mangled his father's true name when asked what it was. It's possible that he didn't actually know it so just guessed and said a couple of names he'd heard the family mention. (He wouldn't be the first person to do this.)

ADDED; After carefully considering the evidence presented in this thread (especially in post #9), I am convinced that the father of James Thomas Wright who married Emma Pettit is Charles Austen Wright. Too many things say 'yes' for it to be otherwise. IMO.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi LJ

If you go back to the first reply, you'll see that the 1911 census was signed as James Thomas Lincoln Wright.

His birth has been identified in post #3 as below:
    WRIGHT, JAMES THOMAS LINCOLN mmn STEER GRO Ref: 1871 M Quarter in SAINT SAVIOUR SURREY Volume 01D Page 86

His father was Charles Austen Wright, but for whatever reason, he appears to have named him as Frederick Dennett Wright at marriage, which is actually closer to his brother's name, per post #9.

I haven't tracked the various family members after 1881, but this may reveal more.

This is the father's birth:
    WRIGHT,CHARLES AUSTEN mmn JAQUES
    GRO Reference: 1839 J Quarter in SAINT GEORGE THE MARTYR SOUTHWARK Volume 04 Page 419

The asylum records in Australia don't give an age (or I've missed it) but do confirm him as a printer, so it certainly looks like it could be him, but if it is then how, when & why he went there is still unknown.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Death registration James Thomas Lincoln Wright, aged 65, March quarter 1936, Bermondsey registration district.

I am now going to stand in the corner for several weeks after not only failing to spot how James signed the 1911 census schedule with his full name, but also failing to fully read post #2 where suemalings actually noted that fact.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

haha, don't worry about it Pam - I'm constantly missing stuff. And if a thread has already exceeded about 5 replies, I'm usually completely lost!

I've just looked again at that 1893 marriage and I think James' address might be 68 Larcom Street (Walworth).... unfortunately the 1891 census only goes up to No. 66 :/

I initially read it that Charles was a printer & deceased, but perhaps it was Eliza that had died ??
    I think it is saying Charles is deceased, the comment is in the profession column where as a rule only male occupations are entered, if it referred to Eliza wouldn't it be next to her name in the parents' column? Perhaps Charles had already left for Australia. maybe Eliza didn't know where he was and as he'd been missing some time she assumed he was dead.

That said, none of the children's marriage certificates say Charles was deceased, so I'm unsure now. If only they could be found in 1891 and 1901 perhaps a few questions could be answered.
    Alma

My thoughts exactly, but I can't seem to find any of them again - except that school record - until their marriages, which are all at different churches / areas, and none acting as witness for each other.

I feel there must be a poor law record somewhere, but Ancestry still hasn't transcribed most of them, so its like looking for a needle in a haystack a lot of the time.

As a side-note, Charles Austen Wright was a twin:
    WRIGHT, AUSTEN CHARLES mmn JAQUES GRO Ref:1839 J Quarter in SAINT GEORGE THE MARTYR SOUTHWARK Vol 4/Page 419
    WRIGHT, CHARLES AUSTEN mmn JAQUES GRO Ref:1839 J Quarter in SAINT GEORGE THE MARTYR SOUTHWARK Vol 4/Page 419

The twin died Dec 1840.

WRIGHT, CHARLES AUSTEN mmn JAQUES GRO Ref:1839 J Quarter in SAINT GEORGE THE MARTYR SOUTHWARK Vol 4/Page 419
    I may be mistaken, I've worked on other people's family history over the last couple of days so I could be confusing the Wrights with another family, but I'm sure I've come across a JAQUES as a witness to a marriage.
    Alma

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast