My Gt Gt grandfather was John Menzies. I believe he was sent as an apprentice to one of the many Scottish Drapers in business in Newark, Nottinghamshire as he is listed in Newark in 1841 as a Draper. His younger brother, Robert, is shown with him and listed as unemployed and I think he had probably only recently arrived in Newark. Another younger brother, Thomas, also came to Newark just after 1841 and both went into business as Tea Dealers and then Grocers. All three gave their father as Andrew Menzies, occupation Farmer, on their marriages. All three named their eldest son Andrew and their second daughter Agnes and two death certificates for their siblings who remained at Woodhouselee also show their parents to be Andrew and Agnes nee Minzie.
The other siblings are at Woodhouselee on the 1841 census, older brother Andrew, sister Agnes, sister Hel(l)en, sister Mary and Thomas (who moved to Newark shortly after the census). I know that they married into the FINDLATER and BROWN families in Dumfriesshire.
I would love to hear from anyone else who can trace their family tree back to this particular group of MENZIES - I believe that Andrew Menzies occupation Farmer was the son of Andrew Menzies and Janet nee Shankland.