Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Look-up please Ticknall burials 1688

I am having difficulty with a word on the original image for the burial of Sarah Ward, buried 1 June 1688 Ticknall....the wife of John Ward ("Clark"??). Is the word Clark? On Family Search it is Image 30 of 35. I can't imagine it's his occupation and I don't think there were too many second given names or double-bunger surnames at this time. Thank you....Lizzie B

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I'm no expert, but I think it's clark, meaning clerk. He may have been the parish clerk.

For anyone else wanting to look at the image, search the England, Derbyshire, Church of England Parish Registers, for Sarah, then click on the image link. The PR for 1688 is not available separately.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful

It could be his occupation. He could be a Clerk. In that era probably working for the Church.

Emeltee

Famous for offering help & advice

The word actually looks like 'Clarke' to me on the Ancestry image.
    On the 16th February 1689 at Ticknall there is a marriage between "John Ward Clarke & Sarah BIRCH of Newton Regis or Kings Newton".
    That doesn't help but does indicate that John remarried after the death of his first Wife and was still in the parish. Does a death for John help? I note there are NO Sarah CLARK(E) burials in Ticknall which would indicate it was occupation rather than name and they were WARDs.

Just to avoid any doubt, from looking at the image of the register at FamilySearch the dates of these events were 1 Jun 1689 and 16 Feb 1689/90.

I think it's highly likely that Clarke is an indication of his occupation, though he's not listed in the Clergy Database as being attached to Ticknall at that time. There's a Francis Ward there in the 1660s. However, the Clergy Database isn't complete, so this isn't proof that he wasn't there.

Sometimes you can find notes with names of the clergy by trawling through the registers, and they would also normally sign each year's Bishop's Transcripts. However, I haven't been able to find these online.

Derbyshire Bishop's Transcripts are now at the Stafford Record Office(originally at Lichfield) and aren't online sadly.

Thanks Pam.

Thank you arthurk.....there is so much that is incomplete and so much that isn't online.

Yes Mitch, damnit.....there's still so much that is not available online. Thank you.

Thank you emeltee, that seems to be the general consensus....Clerk of the church.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast