Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Violet White in Canada in 1911

Violet Ada Bertha Hayman was baptised in June 1896 in Hampshire, England. She was registered in her father's name even though he was not married to her mother, Ada Emma White. In 1905 Ada Emma White and her three children, including Violet, were admitted to the Medway Union Workhouse. In 1910 Violet White was sent to Canada as a Barnardo's Home child.
    The 1911 census records a Violet White living Oshawa, Ontario. This is the only entry that I can find that closely matches "my" Violet. BUT she is shown as born Ontario, June(?) 1895, and "daughter" ( I can see no parent White). The image of the entry is difficult to read. Can anyone decipher any other details that might help identify this individual? What is the significance of the date 2/9/09? Her brother, who was also a Home Child, was shown as "adopted" in 1911 but retained his own name.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

No answers. Just some observations, and questions.

The Violet you've found in Oshawa in 1911, says born Ontario. Column 12, which is for year of immigration into Canada is blank.
    Column 14 is for 'racial origin' and that says British, so presumably her parents were British.
    Column 15 is nationality and says Canadian, which would tie in with her being born in Ontario.

Have you tried to find this Violet in the 1901 Canadian census?

The 'home child' record says that Violet M White was going to Peterborough, Ontario.
    Where was her brother said to be going in his record, and is he in that town in 1911?
    If so, it might be worth checking for any Violets, living in Peterborough in 1911.

Presumably you've found an entry in the Medway Union records which says that Violet and her brother were sent to Canada as home children.

The 2/9/09 date is something about employment - presumably in Canada, in which case this couldn't be your Violet as she didn't arrive in Canada until August 2010. For what it's worth, I think the date is actually 20/9/09. (Not that it makes a lot of difference. )

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

She is listed on the census as Domestic, not daughter.

The reference 2-9-09 is not a date, but an occupation code, which stands for Hired Girl, per this publication (page No. 78): https://publications.gc.ca/collectio...6-1911-eng.pdf

Column 22 says she is employed by a private family, and Column 23 seems to say she was employed for 2 weeks in 1910, but it isnt entirely clear on the image, it could be 12.

Column 25 says she works 70 hours/week, and column 27 says her total earnings in 1910 were $60

ADDED: I missed off that it appears to say she is a Baptist (Col 16)

Thanks, Pam and Jomot, for your replies. On reading Pam's response I felt it confirmed Violet of Oshawa was not mine. Jomot's response seems to leave that possibility open. I realise " born Ontario" and no date of arrival in Canada is a difficulty but is it possible that it was the consequence of lax recording? Would a Barnardo's child be paid on a placement?

I first heard about Violet in Canada from the grand daughter of her brother who told me she had married Percy Mack. Percy Milton Mack married Violet White in January 1915 in Marmora, Hastings, ONT. In 1921 she is recorded as Violet Bertha Mack, arrived Canada 1910. She is not recorded with her family in England in 1911.

I believe the family left Medway Workhouse in December 1905. Frederick Charles sailed for Canada in May 1906. In 1911 Frederick was living in Humberstone Village, Welland, ONT. which ties in with what his grand daughter told me.

In February 2018 Violet's daughter, Bertha May Mack/Kleinsteuber/Thompson died, aged 102. Her obituary has been a very useful source of information about the family structure.

Famous for offering help & advice

Thanks for the update.

Google maps I think also supports that it may well be her on the census. Her location at marriage isn't that far away, relatively speaking.

My instinct is that this is my girl, but of course that could be wishful thinking

I am awaiting a copy of her birth certificate to establish her exact date of birth. The census shows her month of birth as June 1895, age 15. The census was taken on 1st June 1911, If she had had her 15th birthday, year of birth should show as 1896.

I have also checked the passenger list of "Tunisian" in 1910. The passenger is shown as Violet White, age 14. No "M" as recorded on the "Home Children" list on the "Library and Archives" site.

I have previously found examples where householders have been"imaginative" when providing the personal details of servants to the enumerator. It is just possible in this case that"Ontario" was entered as her place of birth without it being given any serious consideration.

I realise this is all supposition with little substantiation so I will have to keep it as a pencilled footnote until/unless something else comes to light.