Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hello Everybody.

I would just like to say hello to everyone and introduce myself briefly. I have been researching my family history for over 20 years now and have had a lot of success. I do though have some big gaps in military history and hopefully, through this site, I will add another tool to fill in some blanks. I am from Sheffield UK originally but now live in the USA so visits to local records offices etc are sadly out of the question.
    I am also available to help out others wherever I can, so I will be more than happy to help anyone with your own Brickwalls!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Chay1962,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

As you originate in the UK, you are probably looking for UK military records, in which case a couple of things which you may or may not know.

Service records for personnel who served after 1921 (even if they enlisted before then) are still held by the Ministry of Defence. Details on how to obtain the records can be found in this link. https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...757#post585757
    If you want to apply for any service records, say so, because I can give you a couple of tips before you go to the hassle of obtaining a sterling cheque.

Almost 70% of records relating to men who served prior to, and in, WWI were destroyed by fire or bombing in WW2. The records which do exist can be found either on Ancestry and/or Findmypast (FMP).

The records found on Forces War Records (who sponsor Brit-Gen) relate to specific events, e.g. someone recorded as a prisoner of war.

There are 'stickies' at the top of most of the military forums so have a read of those.

This link on FWR might be useful.
    https://forces-war-records.s3.amazona...27f8e3cf6c3eb3

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”