Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Palma

Unhappy Ann Howell Aberstruth Monmouthshire.

Trying to find Ann Howell, from 1851 census Merthyr Tydfil age 40 yrs listed with husband David Evans 38 yrs and son John (7 yrs b Llanelly )birth place Listed Aberstruth Monmouth. Is Aberstruth a parish ,I have found a Ann Howell Rockfield Monmouth 15th Sept 1811, is this part of Aberstruth.Having trouble finding her birth and marriage to David Evans. Any help appreciated.

Brick wall demolition expert!

The short answer is that there is no such place, as far as I know.

Can you give us the census references so that we can have a look at the original and see if we can come up with something else?

Genuki, have a gazeteer that lets you search for places contain parts of words, and if you enter "Abers" and Monmouthshire, you only get 1 hit - "Abersychan"
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/gazetteer?...ype=1&type=map

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi Palma, I think this is the birth record for John Evans, the Mother maiden name is Howells

Birth Record for John Evans
    in the District of Abergavenny
    Name John Evans
    District Abergavenny, Monmouthshire
    Page 58
    Volume 26
    Registered October - December 1846

Aberstruth, Rockfield, Abergavenny are all within the Monmouthshire area, I will look for a possible marriage of his parents. Robert

Palma

Wow that was quick, ref no bottom censusHO 107/2458 page 27 Merthyr Tydfil. David,Ann.John Evans. I got Ann’s maiden name (Howell)off death notice of son John died 7th October 1886 Charters Towers Qld. Australia. John Married Catherine Davies Pontypridd 1867 ,Johns age 23 yrs and father listed David . On 1871 Census Glamorgan Johns birth place listed Llanelly. Tks been going backwards but hit brick wall trying find births of family and wedding of David and Ann.By the way Happy New Year Palma

Hi again Palma, I think this is the Marriage of Ann Howells and David Evans.

Marriage Record for John Evans
    Name John Evans
    Spouse Ann Howells
    Page 0025
    Volume 26
    Registered January - March 1843

Robert

Palma

Tks Johns birth listedLlanelly on 1871 census Glamorgan with wife Catherine and children. Age corresponds with marriage certificate 1867 Pontypridd .

Palma

Robert d you mean David Evans/Ann Howell

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I was going to say that I'm no expert on Wales, but we have a couple of people who are (thinking of Megan) - and then Megan sort-of let me down.
    It's true there is no Aberstruth, but there is an Aberystruth.
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/MON/Aberystruth

Palma - bookmark this https://www.genuki.org.uk/big
    Then click on the relevant country, and then county, as required.
    This link is more informative for English places, but it will still show you Welsh parishes and their neighbours. https://www.familysearch.org/mapp/

After a lot of searching I found that the census reference is HO107/2458 folio 36 page 27.
    As I said, I'm no expert on Welsh places, but Ann's birthplace to me looks like Aberystwyth. But that isn't in Monmouthshire, so did the census enumerator mistranscribe Aberystruth, or did he make a mistake with Monmouthshire?
    He sems to have made a mistake with John's birth county because Llanelly is in Carmarthenshire yet he's written Brecon.

Palma - if you can't find a marriage between David Evans and Ann Howell, how do you know that was Ann's name at the time of marriage?
    On FreeBMD there is a marriage in December quarter 1838 with a David Evans and an Ann Howell on the same page, Abergavenny registration district. But the PR on FMP confirms that they married different people.
    David married Mary Owens, and Ann married William Phillips, ironically both marriages were in Aberystruth. Ann's age was given as 'minor', meaning under 21, which doesn't fir the age of the 40 year-old in the 1851 census.

Pam
    who, as usual, was slowly typing and finding extra details while everyone else was quickly typing
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi Palma, yes I did mean David, but can see that this is a John, sorry for building your hope up, will have another look.

Robert

Just found this one,

Marriage Record for David Evans
    Name David Evans
    Spouse Ann Howells
    Page 0037
    Volume 26
    Registered January - March 1848

Robert, and Pam Downes is right,but only on the spelling Aberstruth or Aberystruth is the same place, in Monmouthshire.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast