Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by maesglas/ssclub View Post
    Hi again Palma, I think this is the Marriage of Ann Howells and David Evans.

Marriage Record for John Evans
    in the District of Abergavenny
    Name John Evans
    District Abergavenny, Monmouthshire
    Spouse Ann Howells
    Page 0025
    Volume 26
    Registered January - March 1843

Robert
    Go stand in the corner, Robert.
    We're looking for a David Evans, not a John (John is the son's name).
    Plus those names only mean that they are on the same page(s) in the marriage register. There is no proof that they married each other.
    The couples on that page number were John Evans and Mary Richards, David James and Ann Howells, David Harries and Sarah Prosser, Samuel Jones and Hannah Holmes, who were all married in Bedwelty. PR images on FMP.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Palma

Hi , Llanelly in Breconshire just across border from Monmouthshire. there is another Llanelli which I think is the Carmenshire.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Palma View Post
    Hi , Llanelly in Breconshire just across border from Monmouthshire. there is another Llanelli which I think is the Carmenshire.
    Llanelly is near Abergavenny. Llanelli is in Carmarthenshire (just a few miles from where I live)

Quote Originally Posted by maesglas/ssclub View Post
    Just found this one,

Marriage Record for David Evans
    in the District of Abergavenny
    Name David Evans
    District Abergavenny, Monmouthshire
    Spouse Ann Howells
    Page 0037
    Volume 26
    Registered January - March 1848

Robert, and Pam Downes is right,but only on the spelling Aberstruth or Aberystruth is the same place, in Monmouthshire.
    Think that's another one which might be wishful thinking. See post #11 for reason why.
    Unfortunately I can't find those marriage in the CofE registers on FMP, so presumably they took place in either a non-confirmist church or the Register Office, and Palma would have to take a chance on ordering a certificate in one of the names.

However, you do get brownie points for knowing that Aberstruth and Aberystruth are the same place, so you can come out of the corner.

Pam

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    I was going to say that I'm no expert on Wales, but we have a couple of people who are (thinking of Megan) - and then Megan sort-of let me down.
    It's true there is no Aberstruth, but there is an Aberystruth.
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/MON/Aberystruth

Pam

I plead guilty Pam - I was rushing my answer this morning as I was rushing out the door, and now as they say more haste less speed, and I can repent in leisure!

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    I plead guilty Pam - I was rushing my answer this morning as I was rushing out the door, and now as they say more haste less speed, and I can repent in leisure!
    Yeah, it's fatal to do things when you're going out. You either make a mistake or else try to be thorough and end up making yourself late!
    It seems from Robert's post #10 that Aberstruth does exist, as it's another name for Aberystruth.
    Though when you get Llanelli and Llanelly coming in as well, I think I'm going back to my nice English counties. I'll leave Wales to its experts.

Pam

Palma

Tks Robert for time John was born 1844 Llanelly , noted on 1871 census Glamorgan Pontypridd with wife Catherine and children. also marriage certificate 1867 has age 23 yrs which corresponds with census age.wish there wasn’t so many Evans to check through.Paley

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi again Palma, there is this one, and on the GRO it is registered as Builth Union, which was the work house or poor union in Brecknockshire, no mothers Maiden name listed, these records could be held at the Gwent Records office in Ebbw Vale.

Birth Record for John Thomas Evans
    in the District of Builth
    Name John Thomas Evans
    District Builth, Brecknockshire
    Page 304
    Volume 26
    Registered April - June 1844

Robert

Palma

Tks Robert but John records show Llanelly as Birth place. Parents David miner mother Ann in 1851 census age 7 yrs Merthyr Tydfil also Census 1871 Pontypridd Glamorgan place Birth Llanelly Brecon . Age 27. Married 1867 age 23 Glamorgan Catherine Davies All point to Llanelly Brecon as Birth place.more interested in finding David and Ann Howell Marriage so can get a certificate for fathers name to help in my search .Wales is so difficult with all the different counties and parish. I have been at this roadblock for years and I am learning enough to know there are two Llanelly and ne is now Llanelli.tks for your help appreciate the time you have given me.Palma

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi Palma, the work house I mentioned is in Brecknockshire, so is Brecon, I will try to find out how far apart they are.

Robert.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast