Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Russia or Poland

Happy New Year!
    I have an Eastern European research interest but stuck on where from. In the 1901 census for Leeds it shows Michael Abramson, aged 35 a Tailor/Clothier born Russia as was his wife Esther (nee Leventall). In the 1891 census it shows they were born Poland.
    On Ancestry there is Naturalisation certificate for 1903 that shows Michael Abrahamson born Russia, Padinay Courland son of Abraham Barnett & Dora Abrahamson (should this be Abraham Barnett Abrahamson & Dora Abrahamson?)

I can't find Padinay or Courland but a Kurland in Latvia. One of Michael & Esther's sons David Abrahamson was born March quarter 1900 in Leeds changed his name to Richard Leslie Adamson during WW1.

From birth places of children on the 1891 census I think they must have come to England around 1888-1890.

Any help on the whereabouts of Padinay or Courland would be appreciated.
    Colin

Famous for offering help & advice

The Courland Governate was one of the provinces of the Russian Empire until the end of the first world war and is in modern day Latvia. Padinay was probably a literal spelling of something in the province.....

There is in modern Latvia:
    Pastende.
    Padure.

possibilities?

Courland or Kurland are one in the same and include several provinces. My own relatives came from Courland and adopted the surname Courlander changing it from their Russian surname on their naturalisation certificate. There were a small percentage of Jews in the region but numbers of them left due to Russian persecution and the forced conscription of Jewish young men and boys into the Russian army. The Abrahamson/Levental are likely to be Russian Jews. There is often an overlap by ancestors using both Russia and Poland as places of origin depending on how long they were settled in an area and where their families may have originated.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

See JewishGen Data base- Latvia which has a range of records relating to Courland including the names of several Abrahamson- this data is free to join. I have not looked further regarding the surnames but suspect they may appear in various Jewish records including the Leeds data base. I am happy to add data if required but would suggest that it appears on the Jewish roots forum for other researchers.

Thank you Mitch, this is greatly helpful.
    Colin

Thank you Phillip, appreciate your guidance, I am sure it will be helpful.
    Colin

See the site Discovering Latvian Roots and the Comments section post date Feb 24,2011 where a researcher has asked for help locating Padinay in Latvia. The website owner has responded by saying that the letter'y' does not appear in Latvian and has suggested the roots maybe German, Yiddish or Russian. They suggested looking at the region of Liepeja and another. See other linked comments about possible sites for further research.

Thanks Phillip,
    I had come across this question by chance, by entering a Google search for Padinay and Courland.
    On the Leeds Jewry you suggested there is the Abramson family as appears on the 1901 census. Against Michael Abramson their is an actual birthdate of 15 June 1867. I have registered to the JewishGen Database and enjoying these new research areas. Thank you again.
    Colin

I have not as yet looked on the Jewish Chronicle Archives to see if the Abrahamson line has submitted any BMD newsapaper articles.If I do see any relevant articles I will post.

Colin
    As a help to other researchers do you know what happened to Michael/Esther post 1901 census. I see that Harry and Fanny Leventall were lodgers with Michael in 1891. Were they brother/sister to Esther?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast