Thread: Hello

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hello

Hi. My name is Elizabeth. My husbands grandfather supposedly lived in the St Joseph’s home enfield. His name was George Henry sampson born 1889. We would like to know why and how long. Thank you.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Elizabeth,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.
    I'm no expert on those sort of records but we do need a little more information before we are able to give more than very general information.
    I'm presuming George is the one whose birth was registered in December quarter 1889 Sculcoates registration district, and who in the 1891 census was living in Sutton with his parents John and Elizabeth, and siblings Mary (12), Alice (8), Tom (6), Fred (5), and Sarah (3 months). Census reference RG12/3912 folio 36 pages 9 and 10.

In 1901 the family (with additional younger children) are living in Preston (near Hull) RG13/4481 folio 24 page 16.
    In 1911 it's just John and Elizabeth with their three of their four youngest children living in Stoneferry. Census reference RG14/28580 SN135.
    I can't easily find George in 1911, but presumably he was alive.
    Do you know when and where/who George married and when he died? Do you have a copy of his death certificate? (i.e. is it possible that he died in St Joseph's home?)

However, having found who I thought was 'your' George, bearing in mind your location, I now have doubts about finding the correct person. Googling 'St Joseph's home Enfield' brings up results implying that it was a children's home, and not a home for older people/convalescent home as I first thought. https://www.childrenshomes.org.uk<br ...h/?LMCL=E21z6u

I have now found a plain (no middle name) George Sampson in the 1901 census, living in St Joseph's home, Enfield. RG13/1275 folio 105 page 8. George is aged 11, and his birthplace is given as London.
    If this is your George, then see the link in the previous paragraph for surviving records.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hello Elizabeth,

Did George Henry Sampson marry Irene Johnson 21st Oct 1912, Ottawa? As if so I see his parents were named as William Sampson and Margaret Smith.

There is this birth registration to fit but it has no middle name Henry listed, however, it wasn't unusual for a middle name to be added at a child's christening.

SAMPSON, GEORGE, Mother's maiden name SMITH
    GRO Reference: 1889 D Quarter in MILE END OLD TOWN Volume 01C Page 454

I haven't had any luck as yet finding a marriage between William Sampson and Margaret Smith.
    Last edited by almach; 31-12-2019 at 2:24 AM. Reason: Corrected a first name from George to William
    Alma

Welcome to the British Genealogy forums Elizabeth
    I did do a quick search for George Henry earlier today but didn't find anything relating to St Joseph's home Enfield.
    Here is Peter Higginbottom's site with information on St Joseph's at Enfield and if you scroll down the page he does give some contact information.
    https://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/Enf...Md&LMCL=cZHI95
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Hello Elizabeth,

Did George Henry Sampson marry Irene Johnson 21st Oct 1912, Ottawa? As if so I see his parents were named as William Sampson and Margaret Smith.

There is this birth registration to fit but it has no middle name Henry listed, however, it wasn't unusual for a middle name to be added at a child's christening.

SAMPSON, GEORGE, Mother's maiden name SMITH
    GRO Reference: 1889 D Quarter in MILE END OLD TOWN Volume 01C Page 454

I haven't had any luck as yet finding a marriage between William Sampson and Margaret Smith.
    As ever, a brilliant spot by Alma of that Canadian marriage.

Using Georhe's alleged London birthplace on the 1901 census entry, I'd come to the conclusion that the only possible birth registration that fitted was the one in Mile End registration district in December quarter 1890, with a mother's maiden name of Smith.
    William George Sampson and Mary Ann Smith were married in the parish church of St James in the East on 14 July 1884. He was over 21, she was 20, and both were living in Bethnal Green at the time of the marriage.
    That was about as far as I got before I fell asleep. (I was entitled, it was about 1.15 in the morning. )
    Elizabeth - the marriage took place in a C of E church, and an image of the parish register (PR) can be found on Ancestry in the dataset London, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1932.

Can't see any deaths for either William or Mary between marriage/birth of George and the 1891 census, but can't find them on the 1891 census either.

An outside chance of them in 1891 is this one:
    William Samson, head, 30, general labourer
    Mary A, wife, 28
    Mary A, daur, 8
    Alexander, son, 4
    William, son, 1
    All said to be born in St George in the East.
    Living John Street, St George in the East.
    Census reference RG13/285 folio 106 page 14
    But I'm stuck trying to find anything else that fit that spelling/details.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”