Loves to help with queries

Default Burial date Mary Bonsor

Mary and George Bonsor's last child George was born 1773 West Allington, Lincolnshire. She would have been about 48 at that time. I have searched for her burial date between 1773 and 1786 both Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire. Am I correct that there a very few burial records surviving for that time Nottinghamshire? George snr died 1774 West Allington. Welcome any input thank you.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

How have you arrived at an age of about 48 in 1773 for Mary?
    And if she was only (about) 48 in 1773, why have you limited your search to end in 1786 when she would have been about 61? Although in general people died younger than they do nowadays, 61 wouldn't have been particularly old.

FMP have transcriptions for quite a few Mary Bonsor + variants between 1773 and 1813 in Nottinghamshire. You will have to
    (a) check the places on a map to see their proximity to West Allington
    (b) compare the parish list of burials coverage to the list of towns and villages on Genuki to see how complete the list is and
    (c) see if any of those places are where any of George and Mary's children lived, thereby increasing the likelihood that Mary died there.

I know that FMP have transcriptions for burials in all the Lincolnshire PRs that exist. There's a few possibilities. FMP also have images for the actual PRs in the dataset Lincolnshire, Parish Registers Browse, 1538-1911. West Allington burials 1559-1775 are in a register with baptisms and marriages; then there's a smaller register with baptisms and burials 1775-1779.
    The register for burials (and baptisms) 1775-1812 does exist and can be found on https://www.
    lincstothepast.com/
    Enter West Allington PAR1 in the 'exact phrase' box of the Advanced Search option, and the register you want is on the second page. Although LFHS transcribers are very experienced(and I believe everything is double-checked) errors can still be made, and there is nothing to beat your own eye checking documents.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator

The baptism for George is recorded as George Bonsir on Ancestry. So as Pam noted there are variants of the spelling.

Thanks Pam....the age for Mary was a guesstimate as was her place of birth. I sometimes do this as it has quite often led to records (especially on Ancestry or trees on Ancestry) presenting, even on others' trees, that I can then get a lead to enable me to move forward. I went to FMP for births for a Mary Dawson, Nottinghamshire (haven't done Lincolnshire yet)around the year 1724 as George was born 1724 and they were married 1747 Colston Bassett. As an exercise I added spouse Mary Dawson (yes he did marry a Mary Dawson)who was bapt. 1725 Beeston, Notts. which would make her 22 when married. Beeston is some 13 miles from Colston Bassett. I'm also looking at all the Mary Dawson's parents names which may be a help if they appear as her and George's children names. And a couple of these do. But for alI I know Mary may have been 16 or 30 when she married, so I am really doubtful of getting anything concrete in which case I just delete what I have temporarily added to my tree and just leave that which I know is correct. I have just about eliminated all the deaths for Mary as a lot had....dau. of or wife of..... or some had birth dates nowhere near this Mary. One burial on lincstothepast threw a spanner in the works and that was a burial for a George Bonsor 1801 West Allington where I have my George's burial 1774 West Allington. I doubt it was George jnr. as he only married 1801. So I don't know what to make of that. I really find it difficult to understand how with so little information on these very early records that one can know for sure that that particular Mary or George or whoever is your Mary or George. There's 9 of their kids to work on yet. It does get rather daunting. Thank you so much Pam.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

One burial on lincstothepast threw a spanner in the works and that was a burial for a George Bonsor 1801 West Allington where I have my George's burial 1774 West Allington. I doubt it was George jnr. as he only married 1801. So I don't know what to make of that. I really find it difficult to understand how with so little information on these very early records that one can know for sure that that particular Mary or George or whoever is your Mary or George.
    Well, if George junior and his wife had children after July 1802 then it wasn't George junior who died in 1801.

Once you try getting back beyond 1800 it can often be a 'best-guesstimate' as to who is your exact ancestor and where they lived and died and who they married. Sometimes extreme patience in finding and tracing everyone with the same name can yield results, but it can also be a wasted exercise.
    I have a William Sharp marrying a Mary Wright in an area where Sharp(e) is quite a common surname so although I'm lucky enough to know their ages at death I've put finding their baptisms on my 'to do at the end of my research' list.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hello Pam.....Only just added George jnr. so haven't gotten around to looking for children. Think that may go on my "to do" list. I think there comes a time when one must simply accept that certain records are just not existing, having been rendered unreadable through age/water/fire damage or destroyed through same or lost. The Griffydam Weslyan Methodist Cemetery, Elder Lane records were deliberately destroyed by the daughter of a parishioner dating from the beginning of services 1778 to the 1960's. There was an audit carried out in 2013 of the headstones that were readable and accessible. I'm positive many of mine were buried there but wouldn't have been able to afford headstones. Fortunately my 3rd and 4th g.grandmothers shared a headstone and I treasure that photo. Thanks Pam