Thread: Hello everyone

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hello everyone

Hello everyone.

My name is Jan van der Walt, I live in Kempton Park, South Africa. I've been fascinated with WW2 ever since I first learnt about in school.
    I served in the South African National Defence Force from 1994 to 1999 as a medic. From late 1995 to my "retirement" in 1999 I served on the Presidential Protection Unit as a medic on the team to the late Mr Mandela.

Best I can tell, my family did not serve in WW2 as a result of the Boer War.

I recently purchased a war medal belonging to a GH Whitaker. I'm assuming the person was South African, but that is just an assumption. Looking forward to trying to trace his/her service records etc.

Hope you are all having a great day.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Jan,

I think the answers (sparse though they are) to your question as the same as the one(s) to your previous question about a war medal.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...al-please-help

A service number might help, and it could be worth checking the cwgc.org to see if the person died in the war.
    Is it a WW1 or WWll medal?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks, Pam,
    I was not sure if I had asked on this forum previously and could not find a way to search for posts started by me... Thank you for the assistance.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The quick way at the moment is to click on your username, then you'll see a list where one of the options is 'view forum posts'. Click on that.

The other way is to go to 'quick links' in the blue panel across the top of the page, and click 'advanced search'.
    Enter your username, and depending how long ago you joined the forum select either 'a year ago' or 'any date' in the 'additional options' and then click 'search now'.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”