soden55

Default Heddle in Edinburgh not Orkney

Hello, I am new to searching for Scottish ancestors, and am having trouble finding the records. Nothing original only some transcriptions, so what is the go here ?
    Anyway the Heddle family, in St Cuthbert's Edinburgh Midlothian. The 2 transcriptions I can find on Family Search are a birth in 1841 of the son David and then the 1841 census, with father John Heddle age 25, wife Jean age 25, daughter Jean age 3 and son David age 5 months. Fathers occupation is given as a bine Manf. Does any one know what this might be.
    Then the family disappear. Supposedly the son David was apprenticed at some stage as a tailor in Glasgow ? And in 1865 he comes to Adelaide Australia and I have him from then on.
    Are Scottish records not available for some reason.
    Thank you

Scottish records are among the easiest to find. You just have to look in the right place.

I see that you have found the Scots area of our forums, so go up a level to the General Scottish section and you will find a collection of messages “stuck” st the top. Each one covers a different area of records, what they contain and and where they can be found.
    As a start, go to Scotland’s People, and open an account. You can then look around and do superficial searches, but you will have to buy credits to see the detailed records. The LDS site has indexes for the 19th century and earlier, but Scotland’s People is the source of scans of original documents.

Growing old Disgracefully

could this be his parents marriage

Name: John Heddle
    Marriage Date: 14 Oct 1839
    Marriage Place: Saint Cuthberts,Edinburgh,Midlothian,Scotland
    Spouse: Jean Donnet
    FHL Film Number: 1066765

Scotland, Select Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950
    Spouse: Jean Donnet
    Child: David Heddle
    date of birth - 04 Jan 1841
    This is on Ancestry but thats all I can see

could this be your man's father's birth

Baptism Date: 20 Dec 1811
    Baptism Place: Saint Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
    Father: David Heddle
    Mother: Margaret Jack
    FHL Film Number: 1066755, 0103058

If this is your family David Heddle married Margaret Jack I have found some Baptisms for children with these Parents (there may be more) all Baptisied at Saint Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland.
    Note the spellings of the surnames.

Peter HIDDLE 1799
    Barbara HIDDLE 1804
    Elizabeth HIDDLE 1807
    John HEDDLE 1811
    James HEDDLIE 1813
    Margaret HEDDLE 1820

soden55

Hi Lesley, thanks very much for your suggestions. I had thought that perhaps Scottish records were part of the English records which is where I came unstuck and could them.

soden55

Thank you Sandy. Your last post could well be the father of John, but I had only just got back as far as the records in your first post, the 1839 marriage of John Heddle and Jean Donnet is right, as 4 of David's children ended up with Donnet as a middle name, and I had the 1841 census but then no more. I usually use the soundex when searching, but not all variations come up. Thank you again.

Oh dear, Soden55, prepare to be hit by a thunderbolt!
    Britain is made up of four separate countries, and heaven help anyone who puts them all under England!

There are some records that cross the borders (eg a lot of military records, testaments where cross-border property is concerned, migrants, etc). However, for most sources, I suggest that you look at my posts on sources, stuck at the top of the General Scottish section.

soden55

Ahhh forgive the ignorance of an Australian. I did realise there were 4 different bits that make up the UK. But most of my research has been English with a tiny bit of Wales, Ireland and Channel Islands and it seemed most of the records were all in there together. Like I said, my first look at Scotland. I have been reading your stickies and am going through the sites suggested. Thanks again