Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lelant

The Gaut last name is an interesting one. There are Ashkanazi Jewish Gaut who are listed on the JRI Poland website- there are several of them in different regions of Poland including Chana Estera Gaut 1874 age 55 female Bilgoraj region.

It would be interesting to see if these Gaut are related to your lines. Similarly, there are at least 2 Sephardic last names which are Gautier and Gautheron but the Gaut in Poland (Empire of Russia) maybe the ones worth looking at.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Apologies Kelly- the source of the Gaut Jewish surnames is on the JewishGen Data base -Poland. You need to become a member (it is free. There are over 100 entries.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Apologies Kelly- the source of the Gaut Jewish surnames is on the JewishGen Data base -Poland. You need to become a member (it is free. There are over 100 entries.
    I will check out those 100; thanks so much, Phillip. I will focus on finding records of any of them coming to England, specifically to Shropshire where they 'begin'.

I really am grateful for your help.

Kind regards,
    Kelly

A word of caution regarding the adoption and use of Jewish last names. As I have previously posted on this forum the use of Jewish surnames requires an understanding of how Jews either adopted or were forced to adopt surnames/last names. The reasons vary considerably and there is often no direct relationship between a Jewish last name and its origins. For example, an examination of the UK Naturalisation records show numerous examples of Jewish immigrants changing their original last names from Russian, Polish, German etc to Anglicised names. This is the case for my own lines.

In addition, almost all Jews who settled in the UK did so post 1658 settlement with most having Sephardic roots.Pre 1658 there are only a handful of Jewish traders visiting the UK with recorded names.The Ashkenazi Jews arrived later- see Bevis Marks and Great Synagogue Records- Cemetery Scribes and Synagogue scribes for BMD for 1790s and post that date for records plus will extracts.

I would be surprised to see Jewish Gaut settled in the UK without a name change pre mid or late 1700s and the variations in the spelling of the name do not always help.

Currently, in all the UK Jewish records I have looked at the name Gaut does not appear. It is also possible that any Gaut who did arrive may have converted to Christianity but this was not common in the early days.
    There are minimal records to show such conversion.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you, Phillip. I'll update if I find anything of interest.

Warm regards,

Kelly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12