Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lelant

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Lelant

Hello,

I've traced my family to early 1700s in London's East End, but nothing before that. I have found 'Lelant' in France and, sadly, in Buchenwald records.

One son went to Australia in the 1800s.

Does anyone know this family?

Would you like to post more data regarding your Lelant line with specific reference to the Jewish roots, I have looked on the JewishGen Unified Data base which includes Holocaust records and can't currently locate the Lelant surname.What is the Holocaust record you noted at Buchenwald?

The Lelant surname and its derivation appears in various references to Cornwall but currently I have not located it with reference to Jewish records but that is not to say there are no family links without further research.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Would you like to post more data regarding your Lelant line with specific reference to the Jewish roots, I have looked on the JewishGen Unified Data base which includes Holocaust records and can't currently locate the Lelant surname.What is the Holocaust record you noted at Buchenwald?

The Lelant surname and its derivation appears in various references to Cornwall but currently I have not located it with reference to Jewish records but that is not to say there are no family links without further research.
    Hello Phillip, Thank you for the response.

Robert Lelant, born 17.08.16, has a number 81355 in the transportation lists to Buchenwald? Forgive me if I am misunderstanding the records. I have found: Lelant (Robert, Constant), né le 17 août 1916 à Saint-Joachim (Loire-Inférieure), décédé le 15 mai 1945 à Buchenwald (Allemagne).

Also, in the Arolsen archives, I have found Lucienne as a victim of Buchenwald.

Lelants are noted in France in the 1600s, my line are deeply embedded in the East End from early 1700s until my great-grandfather went to Australia. Can I build a bridge between the French Lelants and the London Lelants? That's the aim.

Thanks again for your interest.

Happy to support your search.I can't see any Lelant surnames in the Jewish Chronicle Archives 1841-present but I am very aware that even in my own lines and those of other who have Jewish ancestors the publishing of family names such as birth, marriage,death was not a significant factor.

Usually,on the Holocaust records the names of victims are recorded but there are still major gaps in the records and I know further data is being sort and added regularly.

Would you mind posting the sources of your data on Robert and adding any other information on Lucienne.

I will look further.

I have looked at a deportation record for Robert but there is a question mark for where he was deported to. His place of origin is given as NC. Is there another record for him?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks, Phillip. Can you follow this link? https://collections.arolsen-archives...arch/?s=Lelant

Do you have access to Ancestry.Co? I have seen the records on the Ancestry site for Lucienne Lelant age 19 b St Denis 3.11.1922 and noted also Sylocus Lelant American Zone Registration of Foreigners and German Persecutees 1939-1947 French od Belge - it appears from the record he/she was in hospital with Obstigsalin discharge 18 Jan 1945.

Currently, the Lelant name does not appear on the Holocaust or other current Jewish records and the question is whether these Lelant are Jews or French citizens arrested and deported by the Germans.
    What are your thoughts?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Wow! Thank you so much. I do have Ancestry, and I will have to focus on building that bridge between France and London in the 1700s - are they my Lelants and how did they get here? Why?

My Aunt, French-speaking, was the source of the Jewish news. Her mother was an Australian-born Lelant who died young. My Aunt always claimed we were French Jews.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe she meant her Grandmother, Gaut, was the Jewish connection. I do see Gauts 'beginning' in Shropshire in the early 1700s, and, again, their name is in the same catalogue as the Lelants, i.e. Arolsen.

I will pursue them more closely over the coming weeks.

Thank you, once again, for your help. You've given me the energy to keep searching, and I'll let you know what I find.

Kind regards,

Kelly

Happy to help you Kelly. You will note on the Ancestry.Co record for Lucienne Lelant -female -Lucienne Lelant geb Helye. I take this to mean either a maiden name or mother's maiden name. I also wonder if the Lelant were originally Hugeonet who came to London.
    Will look further on the Gaut.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Happy to help you Kelly. You will note on the Ancestry.Co record for Lucienne Lelant -female -Lucienne Lelant geb Helye. I take this to mean either a maiden name or mother's maiden name. I also wonder if the Lelant were originally Hugeonet who came to London.
    Will look further on the Gaut.
    Thanks, Phillip. I think they're a little late in London to be Hugeonot, and none of them are living in Spitalfields. But I'll stay open-minded.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast