Thread: Parish Details

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Parish Details

Good morning

I have a query regarding the recording of parishes on parish marriage records. Would the parish recorded for a bride or groom be the parish where the person was born or the parish where the person lived at the time the marriage took place?

Apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere in the forum.

Thanks in advance

Reputation beyond repute

The parish where the person was living. Banns would have to be called in that parish. What's recorded may not be 100% reliable. Best to tell us what the specific issue is.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Peter

I understand that what was recorded may not be reliable. I am trying to find a birth record for my 4 x gt grandfsther Hercules Berwick. The first record I can find for him is the marriage to my 4x gt granmother Ann Morton in Sheffield 1804. The record shows Hercules as a widower of 'this' parish.

I can find his death in Sheffield in 1834 but I have looked everywhere I can think of in the UK and abroad but cannot find a birth record for Hercules anywhere.

I am wondering if Hercules was not his given name at birth and there is also the problem of the variations of the spelling of Berwick and indeed of Hercules!!

Did your source for the 1834 death give "age at death"? There is an entry on FMP (transcription only) -
    Hercules Berwick, age 79, buried 12 Oct 1834, St. Peter & St. Paul's, Sheffield.

So we're looking for a 1755 or thereabouts birth/baptism?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for your reply
    Doh! I'm sorry I didn't mention the age at death. Yes as you say from the info at his death Hercules was born round 1755.