Thread: Lancashire BMD

Loves to help with queries

Default Lancashire BMD

Searching Lancs BMD for a marriage record it states 'the registers are available at the Archives and Manchester Central Library', it then gives the following Ref MCR/RM/184/148 . Does anyone know if I take that Ref along to the M/c library would I be able to view that marriage record/certificate.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

If I say 'No, you won't be able to view the certificate', that's only half an answer. The reference number is for ordering a copy of the certificate.

Providing it's not for living people, if you tell us the names of the people involved and the year, we might be able to give you an alternative source for viewing the certificate online.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi Pam ,thanks for your prompt reply . The details I have are: S1/4 1916 M/c 8d 389 between Richard Rigby and Mary Agnes Flaherty . Sadly Richard Rigby was killed in WW1 on the 30/04/ 1918 in France .
    I am a little confused, if you cannot view the records are they just stored at the M/c Central Library ??

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by colwyn View Post
    Hi Pam ,thanks for your prompt reply . The details I have are: S1/4 1916 M/c 8d 389 between Richard Rigby and Mary Agnes Flaherty . Sadly Richard Rigby was killed in WW1 on the 30/04/ 1918 in France .
    I am a little confused, if you cannot view the records are they just stored at the M/c Central Library ??

I've had a look at the Lancs BMD pages and I THINK what they are trying to say is that you can see the marriage index registers at Manchester Central library. That is no different to looking on line at FreeBMD or Findmypast etc. There is nowhere, in the UK, to my knowledge, that you can go and look at actual certificates.

Manchester Central library is one of a very few places in the UK where you look at the BMD indexes without a computer.

Looking at the Lancs BMD page I THINK that it is saying that the marriage took place in the Registry Office, therefore if you want the full details from the marriage certificate you will have to buy a copy from the GRO.

Certificates are stored and reproduced by the GRO in Southport.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Megan is 98% correct.

I was a bit confused about the location of register and had to resort to finding the entry on FreeBMD, and then clicking the link of the registration district. Ended up on this page
    https://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/5...py_certificate

So the same rules will apply as at any Registrar's Office (which is where certificates are normally held), namely you can search the indexes but cannot see the actual certificates.
    You can buy a certificate either from the local office (in this case, the Archives at Mancheser City Library or from the GRO. To buy from Manchester, click on the reference number on the Lancs BMD site. To order from the GRO, https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ but note that in this case you will need the reference numbers given on FreeBMD. Two different offices, hence two different reference numbers.The local office certificate may be a quid or two more than the GRO one but the GRO one is (to the best of my knowledge) a transcribed copy so for instance a witness' name could be written as Eliza Smith when the original document says Elizabeth Smith.

The Lancs BMD site says the marriage took place at 'Manchester Register Office or Registrar Attended' so it could have taken place at a non-conformist church. Those registers are not usually online, so your only option is to buy the certificate. (I have had a quick look on both FMP and Ancestry, and have found only the GRO Index reference.)

Manchester Archives might have marriage registers for nonconformist churches, but you would need to go and search each individual register which might be a little time-consuming. Taking into account your travel costs, it would be much cheaper to just buy the certificate.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi Megan and Pam
    Thank you so much for your very clear and comprehensive explanations . I was hoping the actual certificates would be available to view ,but that is not to be . Thanks once again .