Starting to feel at home

Default Service number & Attestation record

My grandfather George Albert Weech served in the Welch Regt with the service number 24838. I have family letters that show him being in India in 1918. I have requested his service record as I do not have any information regarding enlistment/discharge date etc.

While researching I discovered an attestation document for George Albert Weech who it appears fraudulently attempted to re-enlist in the RTR on 23 Feb 1937 as G. Weech. He was recorded as being held to serve in RTR.The service number for this entry was 845074. Vague memories of family stories said that he served in tanks.

No searches since have resulted in any information for this person/service number.

Would he have been given a different SN to the one shown on the attestation record?

Hi
    If your grandfather remained in the army after 1921 then his service record will still be with the MoD. Here is where you can read all about who can apply and where you can download the application forms which will cost you 30 pounds. You will also need a copy of your grandfather's death certificate.
    If he did serve after 1921 then the rules re service numbers changed as Wikipedia says "Soldiers in the British Army are given an eight-digit number, e.g. 25232301. Prior to 1920, each regiment issued their own service numbers which were unique only within that regiment, so the same number could be issued many times in different regiments. When a serviceman moved, he would be given a new service number by his new regiment. Commissioned officers did not have service numbers until 1920. The modern system was introduced by Army Order 338 in August 1920. Numbers were then a maximum of seven digits, later groups of numbers up to eight digits were added."
    When you say you have requested his service record do you mean the WW1 service record or his WW11 record held by the MoD as I mentioned above.
    WW1 service records are online on the pay per view sites Findmypast and ancestry.com both of which do have free library versions. Be aware however that 60% plus of WW1 service records were destroyed by bombing/fire/water in WW11 so it is a very lucky person who finds their ancestors surviving record.
    Medal Roll index cards and Awards and Medal records do survivie but is very very rarely that any personal information is recorded on these.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I see you already have a post about George Albert Weech here so will close this thread as it confuses and frustrates those searching and trying to help.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...litary-records

Christina

Added: for some reason I am not able to lock this thread. If anyone is wanting to help please post on the linked thread.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs