Loves to help with queries

Default Richard Rogers - Mariner?

My x3 great-grandfather Richard Rogers (born London 1780)goes off the radar between the birth of his daughter Ann in 1805 and the birth of his first son Charles Richard in 1817. As Charles says his father was a mariner when he marries in 1843 (Richard appears to have died before 1821 as his wife Ruth remarries in that year), I suspect he may have been pressed (or even volunteered?)into the Royal Navy.

The British Royal Navy Allotment Declarations 1795-1852 database on FindMyPast lists two able seamen called Richard Rogers which might be him - one on HMS Polyphemus (1805-1810) and one on HMS Seahorse (1812-1813). Previously, I've been able to buy credits to look at individual records, but it now seems you have to subscribe.

Would some kind person with a FMP subscription be able to check those two for me? If the next of kin is his wife, Ruth Rogers, it will be worth me following up on those records!

Thank you.

Reputation beyond repute

You can still buy credits - see the FMP help pages. Your local library service may offer free access.

So you can - thank you! I obviously hadn't scrolled far enough down the page to find the PAYG option...

Famous for offering help & advice

I’ve checked 7 records for Richard Rogers Able seaman none of which have a wife named Ruth on the records. The 2 you named both recorded their mothers name in the record.Further records just state wife.

That's very kind, thank you! My Richard's mother's name was Betty, but I think she died in 1786. The mystery of Richard's whereabouts between 1805 and 1817 continues...

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi davyr. Your ancestor is my 4x Great grandfather. However, I think you may be confusing Richard with his son, Charles Richard (senior), whose son, also Charles Richard (b. 1817) married in 1844 (to Eliza Foster). RICHARD Rogers (father of Charles Richard, the ancestor you are trying to trace) was landlord of 'The Robin Hood and Little John' pub in Duke St, Westminster in late 1700s.

Quote Originally Posted by Garydrogers View Post
    Hi davyr. Your ancestor is my 4x Great grandfather. However, I think you may be confusing Richard with his son, Charles Richard (senior), whose son, also Charles Richard (b. 1817) married in 1844 (to Eliza Foster). RICHARD Rogers (father of Charles Richard, the ancestor you are trying to trace) was landlord of 'The Robin Hood and Little John' pub in Duke St, Westminster in late 1700s.
    Hi Gary - My original post is now 14 years old (!) but the mystery remains unsolved. The confusion is caused by Richard Rogers (born 1780), the son of the Richard Rogers (born c.1754) who was landlord of the Robin Hood, only appearing as "Charles Richard" in two records - the marriage certificate of his son Charles Richard, who married Eliza Foster, and the will of his wife Ruth Mathews (who married William James in 1821, following the death or disappearance of Richard). In all other records(marriage, baptism of his children Ann, Charles Richard and John) he is just "Richard". Cousin Janice did the original research on this but I've carried on where she left off. I would dearly love to find out what happened to our shared ancestor! By the way, I have a lot more information about Richard the pub landlord, which I'd be happy to pass on if you don't have it. I've already sent it to Janice, if you're in touch with her.

Sorry, the original post is less than 2 years old - 14 years is the time I've been a member on here! :-)