Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Is this the same family?

Hi, I am researching the Foster family from Broughton, Huntingdonshire and am trying to resolve whether the following details show a single family or two families.

John Foster married Sarah Hamant in Broughton in 1793. Following this there is record of the baptism of a Mary Foster in 1794 and Joseph Foster in 1798, both to parents John and Sarah. The Broughton parish records also show baptisms of Ann in 1796 and Sarah 1800, but with parents listed as John and Elizabeth. It is hard to imagine that there were two John Fosters in Broughton at the same time, (1801 population was 319 and the Foster family seems to have only been in the area for one generation). There are no suitable marriages to be found of a John Foster to an Elizabeth in Huntingdonshire(Hunts Marriage Index of 1754-1837). The timing of the baptisms also support this being the same couple. I have also found a poor relief entry in Broughton for 1821 which lists "Ann Foster" directly above "Joe Foster"; the list is not alphabetical and would suggest the two were connected (ie. sister and brother).

Anyone else come across a situation like this where the mother is listed with different first names?

Ian Foster
    CT, USA

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by ijfoster View Post
    Anyone else come across a situation like this where the mother is listed with different first names?
    Yes, frequently.

I used to transcribe parish records and noticed it happened quite regularly. I've also found many instances where the bishops transcript contains different information to the parish register. In my own family I'm fortunate that in the one instance (so far) where this happened, it was corrected several years later, with the correction signed by the vicar & curate.