Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi helacheu and one and all,

Indeed, my point and question exactly, the hi-jacked column, clearly does not relate to age, and is used differanty throughout the muster, "Co", should it refer to replacment heading is unlikly to refer to a company or corps, which may have been musterd from chatham, plymouth or porstmouth. Seems to me to be individual the person at the time of boarding. it is not reference at the end of the muster where they effectivly check off the boat. or counter referenced in any sections for victuals.

bafferling but interesting.....I was suggesting that if you read left to right this could indeed be read
    "division chatham Co at time of entry etc...etc....takes some creative thinking but it utilises the heading by only changing the AGE text.Problem is I cannot equate the corps..or company and a need for that info at time of boarding.

xxx

Quote Originally Posted by sqWarkbox View Post

bafferling but interesting.....I was suggesting that if you read left to right this could indeed be read
    "division chatham Co at time of entry etc...etc....takes some creative thinking

xxx
    I certainly wouldn't read it thus.

https://memorialsinportsmouth.co.uk/d...ory-muster.htm

Click on "Contacts". It explains what the site owner is not prepared to answer but a query such as "Re. marine musters can you explain the significance of the entries in the column headed "Age at Entry etc ...." which appears to have been used for a purpose other than the heading indicates" (or similar) signifies".
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Each Division was made up of Companies. The Muster Roll shows Division and Company. Just because men were from a particular Company, it did not mean that they would serve on a ship with others from the same Company. In fact one ship may have Marines from all three Divisions as well as various Companies from each Division. The Muster Rolls for H M S Victory, show lots of singletons as well as Marines from the same Company: 61 Company Chatham Division seems to have had ten of its Marines on board. The story of Alexander Repper shows that when he served on H M S Aboukir, he was the only Marine from his intake into No. 43 Company.
    PS I would add that the Columns are Division and Company.
    Last edited by peter nicholl; 12-12-2019 at 7:29 PM. Reason: PS added
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Peter,
    Thanks.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

hi peter,

that would make sense, and explains the numbers being sporadic....devision and company, makes you wonder whhy they would be so split around the fleet, thanks chaps ...most helpful input in solving my riddles..not wuite there yet...xxx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12