Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default DIETZ, David M DYTE, DIGHT; CRAWCOUR; LAZARUS

Phillip, you posted this in another thread and as I thought it would confuse things to carry on discussing DIETZ / DYTE /DIGHT families in the ELLIS thread I've started a new one. You wrote:
    <Eve #13 - I don't want to muddy the water with this particular thread but for your own interest and research I have Henry DYTE (I believe he is related to Maurice and David Moses Dyte)who appears as a witness at the marriage of Lewin Crawcour to Maria Samuel Jan 1 1851 5 City Road St.Luke's Middlesex.As you know the Crawcour are my paternal line.
    When Henry Dyte died one of the executors to his will was Moses Angel Headmaster of the Jew's Free School. Moses was married to a daughter of Godfrey Levy aka Levy Godfrey and Sarah Crawcour.
    The relationship maybe one of friendship regarding the Dyte but I have not researched the Dyte lines so am unaware of related data.>

Oh, boy! I'm not up to your standards, Phillip, with posting all the source information, but I'll try to outline my connection - via the LAZARUS tribe of Exeter from which I'm descended - to the DIETZ/DYTE/DIGHT family. Will post after composing offline, or I'll lose it all.

Eve
    Take a look at Synagogue Scribes Will Extracts NA470 Lyon Samuel 1842 where reference is made to Bunford Samuel his nephew and also a Catherine Lazarus (N....). There are several other Samuel relatives who have Bunford Samuel as a nephew -NA 457 Ann Samuel 1850;NA 463 Hannah Samuel 1848;Kitty Samuel NA468 1852 and NA 480 Samuel Samuel 1845 the father of Bunford- see also JewishGen UK Data base 1851 Anglo Jewry data base which has Maria Crawcour nee Samuel and her parents names plus her siblings.

I need to research further in order to understand the Samuel and Dyte lines better.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Phillip, Oh, cripes, let me get my Dight / Dyte post up first. You have got me spending all day sorting it out - a good thing as I had some completely screwed up information - which I shall blame on an earlier genealogist (you can't believe everything you read). Back is killing me from leaning over laptop for hours. And I don't even know how to get to the Will Extracts....except by accident....

Default DIETZ, DYTE, DIGHT, LAZARUS, RUBENSTEIN

Phillip,
    // an aside: Coincidentally, my census search yesterday for Kate LEVI, daughter of Alexander Levi (who married Judah Solomon LYON, nephew of my 3x great grandmother Matilda LYON, 28 Nov1866 *The Jewish Victorian 1861-1870) took me to the 1851 census for Fanny CRAWCOUR’s school. The Kate Levi who was her student was the right age, but wrong girl.//

Back to the DIETZ, DIGHT, DYTE family.
    This family falls into my research into the possible common family origin of three or four early LAZARUS families from different parts of England (Exeter, Portsmouth, Birmingham, London). I will highlight links between these Lazarus families where they are relevant.

The early information for the family comes from Coat of Many Colours: The History of the Joseph Family by W. S. Jessop, 1951. (in the Susser Archives at https://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/sus...blications.htm )
    which states that “the Dyte family were quill merchants of Bristol and they intermarried with the Lazarus family of Exeter who were in the same kind of business.”

In fact, they intermarried with two Lazarus families, that of Moses b. Eliezer Lazarus died Exeter 1810 (m. Nancy Yenta M...bat Isaac) and Henry (Hirsh b. Eliezer pencil maker) pencil maker Lazarus, died London 1810 (married Perla c.1749 -1827 *her Will is available on Ancestry). Both families were involved in pencil, pen and quill manufacturing, and these are two of the Lazarus families I think may be one family. (The connection described here is only a fragment of a broader network of relationships. A reminder – I’m descended from Moses and Nancy Lazarus through two sons, Lyon and Eleazer.)

According to The History of the Joseph Family, Meyer ben Moses DIETZ had two sons, Abraham Moses DIGHT (1763-1825) and David Moses DYTE (David b Meir Deit *cemeteryscribes.com)

Abraham Moses DIGHT had one son:
    Lewis DIGHT, born c. 1806. Lewis Dight was a pen manufacturer. He married Elizabeth DYTE** (see below).

David Moses DYTE m. Hannah LAZARUS c. 1777-1866, daughter of Henry Hirsh and Perla Lazarus. She was a pen and quill manufacturer after her husband’s death.
    David and Hannah had eight children:
    1. Maurice D. Dyte c.1807-1849. Married Louis Brynah CANSTATT.
    2. John Dyte c.1809-1889
    3. Henry Dyte c.1811-1873
    4. Elizabeth Dyte c.1817-1892 Married Lewis DIGHT**
    5. Charles Dyte c. 1819-1893? Married Evelina/Eve NATHAN. Seems they went to Australia.
    6. Frances (Fanny) Dyte c.1821- ? May have married William SMITH
    7. Sophia Dyte c.1822-1903. Married Samuel Joseph RUBENSTEIN***
    8. Mary Ann Dyte Married Charles BENNET

Elizabeth Dyte and Lewis Dight** above had (among others, including Henry Dight born Cheltenham 1838) Maurice Lewis/Louis DIGHT 1835-1901, a wholesale optician of Birmingham. He married Esther LAZARUS (see below) in 1862.

Levin RUBENSTEIN had (among others):
    Samuel Joseph RUBENSTEIN*** who married Sophia Dyte above
    Bernard Joseph RUBENSTEIN c.1827-1908. Married Julia LAZARUS^^ (see below)

Moses and Nancy LAZARUS of Exeter had at least three sons; the three certain ones are:
    1. Eleazer (Eliezer b. Moshe) Lazarus c.1789-1845.
    Married 1st Julia SOLOMON c.1788-16 July 1836 *Western Times 30 July 1836
    Married 2nd 06 Sep 1840 Esther JACOBS
    [This appears to be a second marriage for Esther also as she had a son. This marriage didn’t go well – there are news articles describing her harassment by Eliezer, which kept her from going to synagogue.]
    2. Lyon Lazarus c.1790-1849 married Matilda LYON of Bideford (parents from Portsmouth). Lyon and Matilda settled in Plymouth
    3. David Lazarus, c.1792-1862, a jeweller and pen and quill manufacturer. Married Elizabeth/Betsy JONAS of Topsham, Devon.

Eleazer Lazarus and Julia Solomon’s son Moses Lazarus c.1814-1873 married Rebecca SCHULTZ. They had (among others) daughter Julia Lazarus^^ c.1840-? Julia married Bernard Joseph RUBENSTEIN above. Julia was therefore sister-in-law to Sophia DYTE.

David Lazarus and Betsy Jonas had (among others) daughter Esther Lazarus c.1831- 08 Dec 1913. This is the Esther Lazarus who married Maurice Lewis/Louis DIGHT (above) in 1862. (They also had a son Henry, born 1891, I think also an optician in his father’s business. I think he was later called Harry, but I’m still sorting this out)

Can’t fill in all the source details, too much for me to manage, but it’s mostly available through census records and some Wills or probates. Also some through tombstone inscriptions and marriage transcriptions in the Susser Archive.

Phillip, as you can see, Henry Dytes and Henry Dights are in plenty.
    Eve

Perhaps I should mention, given the Dights who became opticians, that many descendants of Eleazer and Lyon LAZARUS (I lost count years ago) also became opticians (as well as intermarried a whole bunch). But I'm not aware of any Dyte/Dight / Lazarus optical business relationships. I'd like to know of any.

Eve
    Just a small reminder for both of us- I have Lazarus relatives who married into my Jacobs and Crawcour lines. From memory, I think I posted some of the names a while ago. I would need to re-check data to identify any possible links to your lines.

Another small note- I have Simeon Lazarus as a witness at the marriage of Samuel Aaron Phillips and Amelia Solomon in 1873. Amelia Solomon is the daughter of Josiah Solomon from Exeter and Bella Hart (Bella is the daughter of Henry Hart=Phoebe Myers my 4x great grandparents).

I have no idea if Simeon Lazarus is other than a friend at the wedding and would need to identify him.

Eve
    These are the Lazarus who connect to my Jacobs and Crawcour lines;
    Jacobs Line- Barnett Lazarus (Hawker in 1853)- his son Moses b abt 1823 =Elizabeth Jacobs in 1853 - witness at the marriage Isaac Lazarus. Address of Moses Lazarus in 1853 4 Bull Court Spitalfields

Isaiah Lazarus aka Josiah b abt 1833 =Esther Capua. He was a beadle at a synagogue

Crawcour lines:
    Elizabeth aka Betsy Lazarus b 1826
    Nathaniel Lazarus b 1803
    Reuben Alexander Lazarus b 1879
    Samuel Lazarus ( changed surname to Lawrence) 1816-1904 died NSW. His father Philip Lazarus 1781-1849
    Samuel Lazarus b 1847

I have not researched any of the above in detail but my cousins have. The Lazarus related to the Jacobs appear on the Jacobstree website with records.

The Lazarus who connect to my Crawcour and associated lines appear on a data base I hold produced by a distant cousin.

Oh dear. I have a Josiah Solomon from Exeter, but I have him married to Rose WOOLF (related to my 3x gr grandma Matilda LYON).

[QUOTE=Eve Mary;676438]Phillip, you posted this in another thread and as I thought it would confuse things to carry on discussing DIETZ / DYTE /DIGHT families in the ELLIS thread I've started a new one. You wrote:
    <Eve #13 - I don't want to muddy the water with this particular thread but for your own interest and research I have Henry DYTE (I believe he is related to Maurice and David Moses Dyte)who appears as a witness at the marriage of Lewin Crawcour to Maria Samuel Jan 1 1851 5 City Road St.Luke's Middlesex.As you know the Crawcour are my paternal line.
    When Henry Dyte died one of the executors to his will was Moses Angel Headmaster of the Jew's Free School. Moses was married to a daughter of Godfrey Levy aka Levy Godfrey and Sarah Crawcour.
    The relationship maybe one of friendship regarding the Dyte but I have not researched the Dyte lines so am unaware of related data.>

When did this Henry Dyte die?

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Eve
    These are the Lazarus who connect to my Jacobs and Crawcour lines;
    Jacobs Line- Barnett Lazarus (Hawker in 1853)- his son Moses b abt 1823 =Elizabeth Jacobs in 1853 - witness at the marriage Isaac Lazarus. Address of Moses Lazarus in 1853 4 Bull Court Spitalfields

Isaiah Lazarus aka Josiah b abt 1833 =Esther Capua. He was a beadle at a synagogue

Crawcour lines:
    Elizabeth aka Betsy Lazarus b 1826
    Nathaniel Lazarus b 1803
    Reuben Alexander Lazarus b 1879
    Samuel Lazarus ( changed surname to Lawrence) 1816-1904 died NSW. His father Philip Lazarus 1781-1849
    Samuel Lazarus b 1847

I have not researched any of the above in detail but my cousins have. The Lazarus related to the Jacobs appear on the Jacobstree website with records.

The Lazarus who connect to my Crawcour and associated lines appear on a data base I hold produced by a distant cousin.
    I don't think any of these Lazaruses are related to me. However, I have been recording a Phillip Lazarus of approximately the right age, son of Chaim Gravesend. This Phillip was in the rag trade and married Amelia BARNES. But I don't have a son Samuel for them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast