Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    The full will of Catherine Lazarus contains reference to her sole executor Alfred Samuel; Lyon Samuel was present at the signing of her will and David Samuel was present when the will was proved. She refers to her siblings and her father Henry Lazarus and mother who is not named.
    The opening section of her will records-" Catherine Lazarus of Abbs Buildings Chamber Street Goodman's Fields late servant of Mr Lyon Samuel of 43 Mansell Street Goodman's Fields".

The reference to "late servant" in her will is where Synagogue Scribes Will extracts have recorded the term.
    Definitely a different Catherine Lazarus. The tenant of 43 Mansell Street of that name died in 1881 and probate of her Will that year was by her brother Edward DAVIS and daughter Matilda Lazarus. It's interesting that a servant had sufficient reason to leave a Will. I wonder if Lyon Samuel influenced her. I couldn't get through all the minutae in his Will, but he seemed to want to hold a lot of control over what he left in trust to his wife and descendants. Will try to find his servant Catherine's Will and have a gander.

The full will of Catherine Lazarus contains reference to her sole executor Alfred Samuel; Lyon Samuel was present at the signing of her will and David Samuel was present when the will was proved. She refers to her siblings and her father Henry Lazarus and mother who is not named.
    The opening section of her will records-" Catherine Lazarus of Abbs Buildings Chamber Street Goodman's Fields late servant of Mr Lyon Samuel of 43 Mansell Street Goodman's Fields".

The reference to "late servant" in her will is where Synagogue Scribes Will extracts have recorded the term.
    Catherine Lazarus of Abbs Buildings Chamber Street does name her mother, the first beneficiary mentioned. I had difficulty reading the name, but I think it's Rachel. Her two brothers are Eleazer and Samuel Lazarus, and as you say, her father is Henry.

#11 I have Barnes who married into my Crawcour lines- I have Amelia Barnes=David Crawcour my 4x great grandfather and another Barnes connection.This Philip Lazarus appears to be the right link based on several family trees but I want to do my own research to confirm data.
    I have researched the Barnes and currently cannot see a Jewish line on one of the Barnes line but I need to dig deeper.

The Josiah Solomon are two different people but both born Exeter within a couple of years of each other. See JewishGen UK Data base 1851 Anglo Jewry Data base
    Josiah Solomon ID 1314 B 1810 =Rose

My Josiah Solomon ID 5925 b 1812=Bella Hart.

Here is their GRO Marriage Certificate I bought it in 2004.
    Marriage at 62 Leman Street East London Middlesex

7 Sept 1841
    JOSIAH SOLOMON full age Bachelor Merchant 31 Houndsditch - father JACOB SOLOMON (no details given)

BELLA HART Spinster no occupation 62 Leman Street Goodman's Fields -father HENRY HART

Witnesses- DAVID CRAWCOUR;MOSES LEVY
    Married according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the German and Polish Jews

Nb Henry Solomon - Josiah's brother married Sarah Adler- this is the Dr Nathan Adler Chief Rabbi family.My Josiah Solomon=Bella Hart line also married into the Henry Solomon=Sarah Adler line- 1st cousin marriage.

In addition, Florence the daughter of Henry Solomon=Sarah Adler married SIMEON LAZARUS -his father Jacob Eleazer Lazarus.

What I need to do is to further research the Solomon/Lazarus line.

One of my distant cousins did a brilliant job establishing a major data base on the Crawcour and related lines but at the early stage of my research I did not have the skills to do a data base so my contributions were based on my UK research and collecting primary sources such as GRO Certificates, wills, family trees. This meant that I had no specific knowledge about numbers of individuals because I had no access to online family data such as Ancestry. That has all changed over the past twelve years.
    Phillip, I may have found a connection between us now.
    I checked my address list and discovered that I already had Henry SOLOMON (though not his marriage to Sarah ADLER). His address at 134 Houndsditch in 1859 comes from brother Josiah's probate; it's the same that he had in 1866 at the time of their brother Judah's probate.
    Judah Solomon appears to have married Adel EMANUEL:
    There are two sets of entries given in FreeBMD:
    Marriages Mar 1850
    Emanuel, Adell Solomon, Judah S James 1 107
    Marriages Jun 1850
    Emanuel, Adela Solomon, Judah St Jas West 1 137

Adel's father was Ezekiel EMANUEL of Plymouth (born c.1788). Her sister Phoebe Emanuel married Israel ABRAHAMS in 1858 and their daughter Florence (b.1859) married Stanley Simeon DRUIFF, son of Jacob and Sarah DRUIFF. The DRUIFFs intermarried with each other and my Exeter LAZARUS tribe a heck of a bunch. Btw, one of the Lazarus women, Caroline, sister of my 2x gr grandmother Nancy Lazarus, married Rev. Abraham BARNETT, minister of the Bristol Synagogue, The Hambro Synagogue and the New Synagogue, and sometimes officiated with Rev. Adler. So we may have some other connections if we dig far enough.
    I don't know that we're quite at the point where we can call each other cuz, but perhaps that will happen...
    Eve

Default LAZARUS, Simeon; LAZARUS, Lewis Jacob Eliezer

Phillip wrote:
    <Nb Henry Solomon - Josiah's brother married Sarah Adler- this is the Dr Nathan Adler Chief Rabbi family.My Josiah Solomon=Bella Hart line also married into the Henry Solomon=Sarah Adler line- 1st cousin marriage.

In addition, Florence the daughter of Henry Solomon=Sarah Adler married SIMEON LAZARUS -his father Jacob Eleazer Lazarus.>

Oi! Have now got a few more pieces tied together. Took a few hours, but I've worked out that I have Simeon's parents, though as far as I know they aren't related to me (but possibly to each other).

Okay, here goes.
    I went back to synagoguescribes.com to see if I could find sources for a note someone had left on Ancestry.com.

Eliza (Elkela b. Aharon Jacob Cantor) CANTOR married Joseph b. Simon LAZARUS
    Reference GSM 170/29 Date 1816 [10 Jul]

Apparently Joseph Lazarus died, though I haven't looked for the source for that yet.

Eliza, now Alice [names both derived from Elizabeth] married again, GSM 249/06 07 Nov 1827:

Family Name LAZARUS
    Forenames Alice
    Hebrew Name Elkela (widow)
    Father’s Hebrew Name Aharon Jacobs

Family Name MIERS
    Forenames Isaac Levy
    Hebrew Name Isaac (Son of a Privd Member)
    Father’s Hebrew Name Hannania Lipman

Eliza/Alice and Joseph LAZARUS had a daughter Catherine, Catherine's surname was changed to MEIRS, her step-father's name.
    Catherine (or Kate, as she appears in some census records)married Lewis (Jacob Eliezer) Lazarus:
    Reference GSM 353/53
    Date 1840 [11 Jun]
    Family Name MIERS
    Forenames Catherine
    Hebrew Name Keila
    Father’s Hebrew Name Joseph Yozefa

Family Name LAZARUS
    Forenames Lewis
    Hebrew Name Jacob Eliezer (Desc. from a Privd Member)
    Father’s Hebrew Name Abraham

They (Catherine LAZARUS/MIERS and Lewis LAZARUS) had son Simeon:
    births: LAZARUS, SIMEON MIERS
    GRO Reference: 1844 S Quarter in WHITECHAPEL UNION Volume 02 Page 551

And Simeon married Florence SOLOMON.
    Both Lewis and Simeon were metal merchants in London.

(I keep track of occupations as well as addresses in a way that can be sorted; occupations can be a very handy way of identifying kinships.)

I'm not sure how to work out if Catherine's father Joseph Lazarus and husband Lewis Lazarus were related (uncle and nephew?).

Eve

Eve
    These are the Lazarus who connect to my Jacobs and Crawcour lines;
    Jacobs Line- Barnett Lazarus (Hawker in 1853)- his son Moses b abt 1823 =Elizabeth Jacobs in 1853 - witness at the marriage Isaac Lazarus. Address of Moses Lazarus in 1853 4 Bull Court Spitalfields

Isaiah Lazarus aka Josiah b abt 1833 =Esther Capua. He was a beadle at a synagogue

Crawcour lines:
    Elizabeth aka Betsy Lazarus b 1826
    Nathaniel Lazarus b 1803
    Reuben Alexander Lazarus b 1879
    Samuel Lazarus ( changed surname to Lawrence) 1816-1904 died NSW. His father Philip Lazarus 1781-1849
    Samuel Lazarus b 1847

I have not researched any of the above in detail but my cousins have. The Lazarus related to the Jacobs appear on the Jacobstree website with records.

The Lazarus who connect to my Crawcour and associated lines appear on a data base I hold produced by a distant cousin.
    Phillip, I went to the Jacobstree website and realised that I do have some sort of connection to your 'Isaiah Lazarus aka Josiah b abt 1833 =Esther Capua. He was a beadle at a synagogue'
    Will have to work out what it is - something to do with a nefarious LAZARUS aka LAURANCE smuggler originally from Portsmouth. I started tracking his smuggling connections, but have to go back and find out how the Capuas and Isaiah Lazarus fitted in.
    Eve

Eve
    Take a look at Synagogue Scribes Will Extracts NA470 Lyon Samuel 1842 where reference is made to Bunford Samuel his nephew and also a Catherine Lazarus (N....). There are several other Samuel relatives who have Bunford Samuel as a nephew -NA 457 Ann Samuel 1850;NA 463 Hannah Samuel 1848;Kitty Samuel NA468 1852 and NA 480 Samuel Samuel 1845 the father of Bunford- see also JewishGen UK Data base 1851 Anglo Jewry data base which has Maria Crawcour nee Samuel and her parents names plus her siblings.

I need to research further in order to understand the Samuel and Dyte lines better.
    Phillip,
    I accidentally stumbled upon another Bunford Samuel connection in Probates and Wills on Ancestry:

<LEVIN, Ephraim Esq.
    Personal Estate under £80,000

5 April. the Will of Ephraim Levin late of 74 Hamilton-terrace in the County of Middlesex Esquire who died 11 March 1881 at 74 Hamilton-terrrace was proved at the Principal Registry by Moses Lewin Levin of 54 Princes-square in the said county Merchant the Brother Lewis Levin of 1 Bevis Marks in the City of London Gentleman the Nephew and Isaac Bunford Samuel of 1 Hanover-terrace Regent's Park in the said County Esquire three of the Executors. >

(Ephraim LEVIN happens to be in my database as part of my attempt to sort out various JOSEPH lines of the South-West of England. Ephraim's brother Moses Lewis LEVIN married Nanie (Sarah Nanette), daughter of Judith Joseph of Falmouth.)

Eve

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123