Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Nathaniel Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Eve
    These are the Lazarus who connect to my Jacobs and Crawcour lines;
    Jacobs Line- Barnett Lazarus (Hawker in 1853)- his son Moses b abt 1823 =Elizabeth Jacobs in 1853 - witness at the marriage Isaac Lazarus. Address of Moses Lazarus in 1853 4 Bull Court Spitalfields

Isaiah Lazarus aka Josiah b abt 1833 =Esther Capua. He was a beadle at a synagogue

Crawcour lines:
    Elizabeth aka Betsy Lazarus b 1826
    Nathaniel Lazarus b 1803
    Reuben Alexander Lazarus b 1879
    Samuel Lazarus ( changed surname to Lawrence) 1816-1904 died NSW. His father Philip Lazarus 1781-1849
    Samuel Lazarus b 1847

I have not researched any of the above in detail but my cousins have. The Lazarus related to the Jacobs appear on the Jacobstree website with records.

The Lazarus who connect to my Crawcour and associated lines appear on a data base I hold produced by a distant cousin.
    I've got a Nathaniel Lazarus who is of the right age. He was a tailor in Canterbury and married Dinah SOLOMON in 1845. He's not related to me, just part of my random collection.

#11 I have Barnes who married into my Crawcour lines- I have Amelia Barnes=David Crawcour my 4x great grandfather and another Barnes connection.This Philip Lazarus appears to be the right link based on several family trees but I want to do my own research to confirm data.
    I have researched the Barnes and currently cannot see a Jewish line on one of the Barnes line but I need to dig deeper.

The Josiah Solomon are two different people but both born Exeter within a couple of years of each other. See JewishGen UK Data base 1851 Anglo Jewry Data base
    Josiah Solomon ID 1314 B 1810 =Rose

My Josiah Solomon ID 5925 b 1812=Bella Hart.

Here is their GRO Marriage Certificate I bought it in 2004.
    Marriage at 62 Leman Street East London Middlesex

7 Sept 1841
    JOSIAH SOLOMON full age Bachelor Merchant 31 Houndsditch - father JACOB SOLOMON (no details given)

BELLA HART Spinster no occupation 62 Leman Street Goodman's Fields -father HENRY HART

Witnesses- DAVID CRAWCOUR;MOSES LEVY
    Married according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the German and Polish Jews

Nb Henry Solomon - Josiah's brother married Sarah Adler- this is the Dr Nathan Adler Chief Rabbi family.My Josiah Solomon=Bella Hart line also married into the Henry Solomon=Sarah Adler line- 1st cousin marriage.

In addition, Florence the daughter of Henry Solomon=Sarah Adler married SIMEON LAZARUS -his father Jacob Eleazer Lazarus.

What I need to do is to further research the Solomon/Lazarus line.

One of my distant cousins did a brilliant job establishing a major data base on the Crawcour and related lines but at the early stage of my research I did not have the skills to do a data base so my contributions were based on my UK research and collecting primary sources such as GRO Certificates, wills, family trees. This meant that I had no specific knowledge about numbers of individuals because I had no access to online family data such as Ancestry. That has all changed over the past twelve years.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Quote Originally Posted by Eve Mary View Post
    Phillip, you posted this in another thread and as I thought it would confuse things to carry on discussing DIETZ / DYTE /DIGHT families in the ELLIS thread I've started a new one. You wrote:
    <Eve #13 - I don't want to muddy the water with this particular thread but for your own interest and research I have Henry DYTE (I believe he is related to Maurice and David Moses Dyte)who appears as a witness at the marriage of Lewin Crawcour to Maria Samuel Jan 1 1851 5 City Road St.Luke's Middlesex.As you know the Crawcour are my paternal line.
    When Henry Dyte died one of the executors to his will was Moses Angel Headmaster of the Jew's Free School. Moses was married to a daughter of Godfrey Levy aka Levy Godfrey and Sarah Crawcour.
    The relationship maybe one of friendship regarding the Dyte but I have not researched the Dyte lines so am unaware of related data.>

Oh, boy! I'm not up to your standards, Phillip, with posting all the source information, but I'll try to outline my connection - via the LAZARUS tribe of Exeter from which I'm descended - to the DIETZ/DYTE/DIGHT family. Will post after composing offline, or I'll lose it all.
    I should have said that the original quote of Phillip's with which I started this thread comes from another thread he started, JOHN SOLOMON AKA JOHN SOLOMON ELLIS. I don't seem to be able to edit my first post to include this.

Eve
    Take a look at Synagogue Scribes Will Extracts NA470 Lyon Samuel 1842 where reference is made to Bunford Samuel his nephew and also a Catherine Lazarus (N....). There are several other Samuel relatives who have Bunford Samuel as a nephew -NA 457 Ann Samuel 1850;NA 463 Hannah Samuel 1848;Kitty Samuel NA468 1852 and NA 480 Samuel Samuel 1845 the father of Bunford- see also JewishGen UK Data base 1851 Anglo Jewry data base which has Maria Crawcour nee Samuel and her parents names plus her siblings.

I need to research further in order to understand the Samuel and Dyte lines better.
    Phillip, I've had a skim-through of Lyon Samuel's Will. It's pages long and full of legalese and it's very tiring to read. I saw mention of Bunford Samuel, his nephew, David Samuel, his son. Kitty, his wife, and some daughters. But I couldn't find any mention of Catherine Lazarus. However, he owned 43 Mansell Street in Goodman's Fields. This was the address of: Samuel LYON (1822) (perhaps Lyon SAMUEL?; David SAMUEL, retailer of clocks, c. 1837; and Edward & Catherine LAZARUS and DAVIS family members at least between 1841 - 185.
    This Edward Nathan LAZARUS was descended from Eleazer of Worms, whose descendants I've been recording (It thought they were part of my lot, but I've decided they aren't). This family can be followed in part via marriages in synagouescribes.com. Catherine was a daughter of David b. Moshe Aaron Davis, a London optician and watchmaker. Edward Lazarus was a coal merchant (Sargent & Lazarus) and a baker: in 1842 the Jewish Chronicle published this: <Contract to bake matzot: Passover Bread.—At a meeting of the conjoint committees of the Metropolitan Synagogues on the evening of Tuesday, 13th inst*,-in order to open, the tenders for the [matzot] (passover cakes), the tender of Mr. Edward Lazarus was found the lowest, by 1s 6d. per sack. That gentleman was, therefore, entrusted with the contract for the ensuing passover.
    Some conception may be formed of the consumption of
    the cakes in London and the provinces, during the eight days, from the circumstance that the quantity of flour made into cakes last year was 650 sacks, each containing 280 lbs. We are glad to learn, that the present relatively low price of flour will enable the bakers to obtain it at 15s. 6d. less per sack than it cost them last year, and that a useful competition will reduce the retail price,, next passover, to four-pence-halfpenny per pound. . ..'>

Edward Lazarus died- 1844? - and Catherine Lazarus took over the business, but moved into selling wine and spirits as well as coal.

What the relationship between Catherine LAZARUS and the SAMUEL family was, I don't know. I presume Edward and Catherine were tenants. I'll try to read the Will again and see if I can find Catherine's name (if it's the same person...).

Catherine Lazarus was a servant to Lyon Samuel - see Synagogue Scribes Will Extracts NA 254 Catherine Lazarus 1836.

Did my comments about the two different Josiah Solomon of Exeter #12 plus the Barnes line help?

Default Will of Lyon SAMUEL

Quote Originally Posted by Eve Mary View Post
    Phillip, I've had a skim-through of Lyon Samuel's Will. It's pages long and full of legalese and it's very tiring to read. I saw mention of Bunford Samuel, his nephew, David Samuel, his son. Kitty, his wife, and some daughters. But I couldn't find any mention of Catherine Lazarus. However, he owned 43 Mansell Street in Goodman's Fields. This was the address of: Samuel LYON (1822) (perhaps Lyon SAMUEL?; David SAMUEL, retailer of clocks, c. 1837; and Edward & Catherine LAZARUS and DAVIS family members at least between 1841 - 185.
    This Edward Nathan LAZARUS was descended from Eleazer of Worms, whose descendants I've been recording (It thought they were part of my lot, but I've decided they aren't). This family can be followed in part via marriages in synagouescribes.com. Catherine was a daughter of David b. Moshe Aaron Davis, a London optician and watchmaker. Edward Lazarus was a coal merchant (Sargent & Lazarus) and a baker: in 1842 the Jewish Chronicle published this: <Contract to bake matzot: Passover Bread.—At a meeting of the conjoint committees of the Metropolitan Synagogues on the evening of Tuesday, 13th inst*,-in order to open, the tenders for the [matzot] (passover cakes), the tender of Mr. Edward Lazarus was found the lowest, by 1s 6d. per sack. That gentleman was, therefore, entrusted with the contract for the ensuing passover.
    Some conception may be formed of the consumption of
    the cakes in London and the provinces, during the eight days, from the circumstance that the quantity of flour made into cakes last year was 650 sacks, each containing 280 lbs. We are glad to learn, that the present relatively low price of flour will enable the bakers to obtain it at 15s. 6d. less per sack than it cost them last year, and that a useful competition will reduce the retail price,, next passover, to four-pence-halfpenny per pound. . ..'>

Edward Lazarus died- 1844? - and Catherine Lazarus took over the business, but moved into selling wine and spirits as well as coal.

What the relationship between Catherine LAZARUS and the SAMUEL family was, I don't know. I presume Edward and Catherine were tenants. I'll try to read the Will again and see if I can find Catherine's name (if it's the same person...).
    Have gone through the Will of Lyon Samuel again, taking notes this time. Not thorough as my brain can't deal easily with the script, not with all the legalese. I started by recording names and relationships only, but then some of the text. There should be an indication of the end of the initial Will and the beginning of the first Codicil, but I can't find it now.

ame: Lyon Samuel Esquire
    Probate Date: 27 Dec 1842
    Residence: Middlesex, England

Entry is the Will, many pages long with Codicils.
    Mentions:
    Kitty Samuel, wife
    Louisa Barnett, widow, Wife's Sister
    David Samuel, son
    Alfred Samuel, son (a minor)
    Burford Samuel, nephew, of Leman Street, Goodman's Fields, Merchant, one of my executors and trustees
    Grandchildren: [Madelina?] Phillips, Barnett Phillips, Robert Phillips, Frant [N?]aes, Adeline [N?]aes (< [?]aes >looks like <Isacs> to me, but I think it's something else)
    Sons in Law: Samuel Phillips, David [N?]aes
    Daughters: Maria Philips, Sarah [?]aes
    Legacy left to Great Synagogue Dukes Place

I give and devise all that my Freehol messuage...and premises situate and being No 43 in Mansell Street Goodman's Fields in the County of Middlesex...unto ...Bunford Samuel...wife Kitty Samuel...David Samuel...dispose of the same as circumstances may require...may be to sell...unto any perspn or persons whomsoever who shall be willing to become the perchaser...for the best price or most money...

bequeath unto my said wife...the Bond entered into by me to Mr. Abraham Solomons deceased and discharge thereof the Sum of one thousand pounds...to be paid to said wife at the end of twelve months next after my decease...
    ... [followed a list of shares and bonds with various banks etc to be left to his wife adding up to several thousands of dollars]...

...my four children...Maria Phillips David Samuel Sarah [N?]aes and Alfred Samuel

..[lengthy details of how legacies are to be disposed of in the event of the death of a beneficiary, to their children; in the event of marriages; trusts for underage children etc

...[everything of household goods]...in or about my messuage or tenement in Guliford Street [except previously mentioned Paraphernalia, Trinkets and Ornaments she was in habit of using and wearing left to Kitty] bequeathed unto ...Bunford Samuel, Kitty Samuel and David Samuel...to be used by [Kitty] [as long as she remains his widow][she gets to keep all the household stuff]

[another two pages outlining what happens under various eventualities]

Signed [01 July 1836]
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This is the Second Codicil to the last Will and Testament of me Lyon Samel of R[-----] Street Russell Square in the County of Middlesex [Northant] (and which will bears date first day of July in the year One thousand eight hundred and thirty six and wherein I am described as then of Guildford Street in the same County...
    [withdraws legacies left to daughters Maria Phillips and Sarah [N]aes] of two hundred pounds (doesn't say why) and gives them to nephew Bunford Samuel, wife Kitty Samuel and David Samuel and to]
    ...my friend John Cole of High Holborn in the County of Middlesex Wholesale Druggist the sum of two hundred pounds to be held and applied by them [and a further two hundred pounds]
    ...concerning the share of my daughter Sarah Naes.... of six thousand pounds... [trusts to be paid within 12 months of death] (doesn't say why)
    ...will give...premises....No 43 in Mansell Street Goodman's Fields [and everything in it to] ...Bunford Samuel...Kitty Samuel... and David Samuel...to use...and their heirs...for ever upon the Trusts thereby [dec]lared concerning same Noe I do hereby revoke and made void the said... gift...and give unto ...
    [It appears that 43 Mansell Street is now to go to the original three people - Bunford, Kitty and David Samuel - and now also to John Cole]

...[a page-long list of companies and banks in which he has shares]...shall not be sold or disposed during the life of my said wife unless at her request...
    [appoints John Cole to be an Executor along with the original three]

[signed and dated by witnesses]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This is a Codicil to the Will......dated on or about [01 July 1836]
    [Describes shares sold and again mentions [Noro]
    [More directions about sums of money in the thousands of dollars, but no names]
    [dated 5th June 1837]
    signed and witnessed by Waltr. Hughes sol 144 Leadenhall St. and Fredk. Hondmarsh clerk to [----] [Hearsey] Hughes & Thomas 144 Leadenhall St.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    In the Goods of Samuel Lyon deceased Appeared Personally Simeon Oppenheim of South St Finsbury [to translate the name in Hebrew of a charity to which a bequest had been left] [26 Dec 1842]
    [Proved 27 Dec 1842 by Bunford Samuel the Nephew and Kitty Samuel Widow the Relict and David Samuel the son the Executors...and to John Cole (granted Admin only)]

The National Archives; Kew, England; Prerogative Court of Canterbury and Related Probate Jurisdictions: Will Registers; Class: PROB 11; Piece: 1972

Catherine Lazarus was a servant to Lyon Samuel - see Synagogue Scribes Will Extracts NA 254 Catherine Lazarus 1836.

Did my comments about the two different Josiah Solomon of Exeter #12 plus the Barnes line help?
    Hi Phillip,
    I was busy going through the Will of Lyon Samuel and didn't see your posts. Yes, your comments help. I will go back to them when I can think straight. We may be related, finally! Or not...I need tea before I can sort this out.

I swear I never saw the reference to Catherine Lazarus, servant. You'd think the name would pop right out. Curious coincidence that a Catherine Lazarus was also the tenant of his house in Mansell Street - surely not someone he'd refer to as servant? I saw no bequests for servants that I can recall. I'd really like to know why he withdrew his substantial request to one daughter - sadly, I'm not sure I've read her name correctly. See my post #16 of his Will.

Question Amelia BARNES

#11 I have Barnes who married into my Crawcour lines- I have Amelia Barnes=David Crawcour my 4x great grandfather and another Barnes connection.This Philip Lazarus appears to be the right link based on several family trees but I want to do my own research to confirm data.
    I have researched the Barnes and currently cannot see a Jewish line on one of the Barnes line but I need to dig deeper.
    (Abbreviated)

Phillip, Does this mean we have two different Amelia BARNES who married Jewish men? I have Amelia (Minka b. Mordecai SGL) BARNES married Phillip (Feivel b.Chaim Grave(s)end) LAZARUS, 15 Mar 1809 (synagoguesscribes GSM 119/17.

In the 1841 Census the woman in the usual position for the wife is recorded as Sarah, but I don't know if this is a second wife. In 1846 Phillip and Amelia's son Solomon had to make some kind of settlement for his insane brother Barnett (in a Poor House?)and this was recorded: 'He is the lawful Son of Philip Lazarus and Amelia his wife. (wife now decd) [.] Philip now resides at No 16 Grove St.' So Amelia was dead by 1846, but was she dead before 1841?

This is all rather beside the point as your Amelia Barnes was with David Crawcour in the 1841 Census (I noticed them in passing while looking for someone else).

Eve

Question Amelia BARNES

(Abbreviated)

Phillip, Does this mean we have two different Amelia BARNES who married Jewish men? I have Amelia (Minka b. Mordecai SGL) BARNES married Phillip (Feivel b.Chaim Grave(s)end) LAZARUS, 15 Mar 1809 (synagoguesscribes GSM 119/17.

In the 1841 Census the woman in the usual position for the wife is recorded as Sarah, but I don't know if this is a second wife. In 1846 Phillip and Amelia's son Solomon had to make some kind of settlement for his insane brother Barnett (in a Poor House?)and this was recorded: 'He is the lawful Son of Philip Lazarus and Amelia his wife. (wife now decd) [.] Philip now resides at No 16 Grove St.' So Amelia was dead by 1846, but was she dead before 1841?

This is all rather beside the point as your Amelia Barnes was with David Crawcour in the 1841 Census (I noticed them in passing while looking for someone else).

Eve

The full will of Catherine Lazarus contains reference to her sole executor Alfred Samuel; Lyon Samuel was present at the signing of her will and David Samuel was present when the will was proved. She refers to her siblings and her father Henry Lazarus and mother who is not named.
    The opening section of her will records-" Catherine Lazarus of Abbs Buildings Chamber Street Goodman's Fields late servant of Mr Lyon Samuel of 43 Mansell Street Goodman's Fields".

The reference to "late servant" in her will is where Synagogue Scribes Will extracts have recorded the term.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast