Loves to help with queries

Default 7cM across 1 segment

Hi there,

I really hope nobody from my John Henry Parry post sees this, but if you do then that is all still relevant to our family tree, but I have a new problem and I'm hoping to clear it up.

My mum suspects that who she thought of as her real father was actually not, and that her mother had an affair with his best friend.

I'm a little afraid of where this may go if I look into it, but I feel I must.

His friend was called Kevin Fanning, and he died within months of my mothers birth. I only recently found out his full name.

I searched his name within my mothers DNA matches, and it brought up someone who shares 7cM across 1 segment with my mother. When I checked her tree, her grandfather would have been Kevin Fanning's half brother.

Okay so two questions:

1: What is the likelihood that his link is just coincidence?

2: Let's say that Kevin Fanning is her real father; does that make sense in terms of this DNA matched person's place in the tree? 7cM across 1 segment between Kevin Fanning's daughter, and his half-brothers daughters daughter?

I'm also a little worried about his date of death if this is the case.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi Toaster, I am not an expert, but I have had my DNA tested, which proved my Grandfather was not who I thought it was, and so my Dad was also duped.

7 centimorgans across 1 segment, would suggest to me that you are at least 2nd Cousins, I am going by my own DNA results, so again I say I am not an expert, see if you can dig a little deeper, and dont be afraid of what you find, its history now.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by maesglas/ssclub View Post
    Hi Toaster, I am not an expert, but I have had my DNA tested, which proved my Grandfather was not who I thought it was, and so my Dad was also duped.

7 centimorgans across 1 segment, would suggest to me that you are at least 2nd Cousins, I am going by my own DNA results, so again I say I am not an expert, see if you can dig a little deeper, and dont be afraid of what you find, its history now.

Robert
    I contacted the person who was managing that DNA entry, they pretty much made it clear that it was not a correct link, and so it must have been someone else in the tree.

It does make me wonder though, because the common surnames in my grandfathers tree do not show up in the DNA matches, and the photographs I have in his tree bear little resemblance to any of my mothers children. I'm not sure where I can go from here on in though...

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi again toaster, I would not take much notice of family resemblance, you follow your dad, or your mum or a mixture of both, pluse grand parents and great grandparents can all influence the features of siblings, the fact that you have a DNA match, well that is significent, as I said before, try and dig a bit deeper, I did and eventually found the truth, in my case resemblance had nothing to do with it, it was DNA and circimstances that proved the way forward, best of luck.

Robert

Valued member of Brit-Gen barbara lee's Avatar

7cM is very little. Ancestry puts that amount of shared DNA in the "5th-8th cousins" category, which is getting close to the limit. Your relationship to someone with whom you share as little as 7cM means that you have shared 5xg grandparents, or might be even further apart.
    B

Hi
    The Shared cM Project chart is very helpful in explaining what relationships are possible but I must confess my eyes roll when trying to tackle matters DNA.
    Also helpful is Peter Calver's Lost Cousins article The Master Class which includes the chart.
    https://www.lostcousins.com/newslett...dnov19news.htm

I agree with Barbara, 7cM is indicative of a relationship much further back.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi
    The Shared cM Project chart is very helpful in explaining what relationships are possible but I must confess my eyes roll when trying to tackle matters DNA.
    Also helpful is Peter Calver's Lost Cousins article The Master Class which includes the chart.
    https://www.lostcousins.com/newslett...dnov19news.htm

I agree with Barbara, 7cM is indicative of a relationship much further back.

Christina
    Yes, so far DNA is great for confirming links, but it does throw a spanner in the works.

It wasn't just a family resemblance that doesn't mesh with my mother's family and her dad's. I would expect to see reasonably high matches in the results with the surname Parry, but in the results, the highest Parry matches sit below the 17 cM range.