Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default WELCH Hughes, Foulke pre 1698

In research, I have only recently been finding a good bit of Wales in our genealogy. Some is in the UK (Edwards, Moulsdale) with an association to Rev Roose-Hughes of Royal Charter connection. No Blood relation that I know of (Great Grandfather of wife of first cousin according to chart), but some amazing history reading!

Most recently, researching my mothers side in the USA (Gray, Hughes, Foulke) appears in Pennsylvania colony 1698.

"Edward Foulke, therefore, in the beginning of the year 1698, was a farmer, a yeoman in the phrase of his day, a tenant at Coed-y-foel, near Bala, in Merionethshire. Nine children were in his house, four sons and five daughters. The farm belonged, he says, to Roger Price, Esquire, of Rhiwlas. The Prices were large land owners in that part of Wales. Roger Price was High Sheriff of Merionethshire in 1710. In our own time, 1883, Rhiwlas was the property of his descendant, Richard J. Lloyd-Price, and it is, I believe, still in the family, though its owners have sustained vicissitudes of fortune."

This Edward had married Elizabeth (some data says Hughes or daughter of Hugh or Caldwalder).

I'm having a tough time locating any more Welch history on this side and have had great success with this forum in other threads.

Any help appreciated, thanx

This article appeared in a Welsh language publication "Journal of the Welsh Biographical Society, Vol 7, July 1950".

BIBLIOGRAPHY OF MERIONETHSHIRE QUAKERS
    FOULKE Edward 1651 - 1741 Born Edward Foulke in the Bala area. He was living in Coedyfoel, Llanfawr parish. He emigrated to Pensylvania 1698 and bought a parcel of land, 700 acres, in Gwynedd PA. There he joined the Quakers and became the founder of a large and influential family. Expressed rather ordinarily is his Exhortation that was addressed to his children late in life, a piece of very good composition.His other work is the Brief Genealogy, written in Welsh and translated by his son Samuel Foulke. The Exhortation to his children be found in Comly's Miscellany, ii 365 (1836). Another work by him is

[I]A brief genealogy by Edward Foulke, with an account of his family and their removal from Great Britain to Pennsylvania[, written by himself originally in British. It can be found in Comly's Miscellany, iii, 381, 2nd edition/print (1845) and also in Historical Collections relating to Gwynedd, by H M Jenkins, Philadelphia, 1884 and a 2nd edition/print 1897./I]

Sorry the translation is a bit stilted in parts but prefer this approach.

Yet to check out a couple of other items.

Pob lwc/good luck
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

This is the earliest map I can find re "Coed-y-foel". It shows 2 x "Coed-y-foel" ("isaf" = lower; "uchaf = upper).

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102184294

See top, eastern edge of map.

Welsh Journals online https://journals.library.wales

Click on link - enter "coed-y-foel" in Search (including " " as part of search key). Should return 19 hits.
    Tab down to "The first three books printed in Welsh in America" and click on heading.
    Zoom in and check table which mentions "Edwards Foulke".

Some of the articles returned are in English but not all refer to "your" Coed y Doel. Once you know the packdrill, search for "Edward Foulke" et al (include " " as part of key if your search key is more than 1 word).

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Welsh Journals online https://journals.library.wales

Click on link - enter "coed-y-foel" in Search (including " " as part of search key). Should return 19 hits.
    Tab down to "The first three books printed in Welsh in America" and click on heading.
    Zoom in and check table which mentions "Edwards Foulke".

Some of the articles returned are in English but not all refer to "your" Coed y Doel. Once you know the packdrill, search for "Edward Foulke" et al (include " " as part of key if your search key is more than 1 word).
    Very good start! thanx I will say the language doesn't respond to anything in my training, but hugely interesting. Need to come up to speed on Welch/Norman history too.

The area in Penns colony (just north of Philadelphia) reads like a Welch map and this Foulke prominent in place names.

Search Welsh Journals (link in previous post)-

Search key = coedyfoel (1 word, " " not needed) and use both left and right buttons on date slider bar to set the year to 1883. Click on Search. Should deliver 1 article "Cyf 1 Rhif 4- Hydref 1883" that appeared in the Welsh Language magazine "Y Genigen, published 1883".

The article, which begins on the previous page to the one delivered by the search (use < symbol to view previous page), gives date of birth "13th of the 5th month (July) 1651", mother's name "Lowry", wife's name "Eleanor" plus a lot more about his "achau"** (lineage/pedigree). Having looked at his "achau" welcome to the world of Welsh patronymics!!

The second paragraph describes his and Eleanor's travelling to America aboard the "Robert and Elizabeth" with a host of others. Lots more besides which is going to take a while to translate. I'll send you a Private Message on how best to get this info to you.

Read through the article for any names you may recognise?

Will be in touch

pob lwc/good luck

** - my monicker on this site "helachau" = "hunt pedigree/lineage

OOps! Just spotted you had replied in the meantime.

The source of the detailed info in the article in "Y Genigen, 1883" was a Mrs Levick, Girard Avenue, a descendant via Theophilus, grandson of Hugh Foulke, son of Edward Foulke. Does Mrs Levick ring a bell?

I've had a look at what's out there on the web and feel I can't add to what you can find simply by googling?

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    I've had a look at what's out there on the web and feel I can't add to what you can find simply by googling?
    Many thanx for effort. I have seen these or other articles in my searches. I am most interested In pre 1698 When they were living in Wales. I also realize this is a difficult period for island archives from other family searches. Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast