Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Have you searched Welsh Journals under the search key "Lowry Foulk" - returns 1 hit. Interestingly, she is returned with an "Edward Foulke" and the date is 1662. Did wonder if this Edward is Lowry's husband?

The item relates to a "Hearth Count/Return". If you check the previous page the return relates to "Caervallough" (Caer-Vallwch" a hamlet in the Parish of Northop, in the hundred of Coleshill - a long way from the Bala area). The previous page states "Continued from page 104" - which can be found in the previous number - Vol XVi No. LXII April. Had a quick look but need to check further.

In addition have been checking out wills for "Edward Foulk", (possibly Lowry's husband?) -
    Welsh Wills - https://library.wales/searchwills/

These are NOT easy to read.

pob lwc/good luck
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

FindMyPast has the marriage (image/transcription) of
    Edwardus Foulk and Ellena William, place Abergele, date 19 Oct 1685

Looking at the original I think it reads "Edwardus Foulk** of Towyn" - which is just east of Abergele. But this is happening a long way from Bala/Coed-y-foel". But "Ellena" fits the "Eleanor" already mentioned as Edward Foulk's wife who accompanied him to America.

** I cannot interpret the surname on the original entry - relying on the transcription!!

NOTE - in my previous post I wrote "Lowry Foulk" - search for "Lowry Foulke"

FMP has the baptism (image/transcription) of

Elizabetha Foulk, born 5 October 1686, bap 16 Oct 1686, place Abergele, father Edward Foulk of Towyn and mother Ellena.

"Your" Edward had 5 sons and 4 daughters? Do you have the name of the eldest daughter?

Starting to feel at home

Default Geography and Language, my favorites!

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    FindMyPast has the marriage (image/transcription) of
    Edwardus Foulk and Ellena William, place Abergele, date 19 Oct 1685

Looking at the original I think it reads "Edwardus Foulk** of Towyn" - which is just east of Abergele. But this is happening a long way from Bala/Coed-y-foel". But "Ellena" fits the "Eleanor" already mentioned as Edward Foulk's wife who accompanied him to America.

** I cannot interpret the surname on the original entry - relying on the transcription!!

NOTE - in my previous post I wrote "Lowry Foulk" - search for "Lowry Foulke"
    I wonder how common the names Foulke and Hughes were in Wales? The USA writings indicate a fairly well known family name and in some cases fairly prominent. Hughes/Foulke did very well in the USA after emigration.
    I am trying to get old gray cells to grasp the Welch geography and be able to recall place names...fun stuff!
    immigrant Edward had three wives eventually. Eleanor apparently died during the voyage to the colonies along with 40 other members of the party. I had not seen the "Lowry" material so this will be interesting to follow.
    Distance is always relative. I'm sure in 1650 it could be prohitative, but it looks like distance from Bala, Caernarfen, Towyn or Amlwch are all about the same. Hughes and Foulke appear in all these places.
    I really appreciate the tips you are coming up with. Lots to distill here.

Starting to feel at home

FMP has the baptism (image/transcription) of

Elizabetha Foulk, born 5 October 1686, bap 16 Oct 1686, place Abergele, father Edward Foulk of Towyn and mother Ellena.

"Your" Edward had 5 sons and 4 daughters? Do you have the name of the eldest daughter?
    A document that I have "Colonial Families of the United States" appears to be written in first person by Edward...couldn't get it to copy here...states "my mother's name was Lowry daughter of Edward ap David, apEllis, ap Robert of the parish of Llavor in Merionethshire" "Married Eleanor, daughter of Hugh ap Cadwalader, ap Rhys of the parish Spytu, in Denbighshire"
    Children: Thomas, Hugh, Cadwalader and Evan; Grace, Gwen, Jane, Catherine and Margaret.

Thanks - now found a site which lists children and marriage to Ellin/Eleanor (1682)

Starting to feel at home

Thanks - now found a site which lists children and marriage to Ellin/Eleanor (1682)
    Would be interested in any info on child Jane (my relative) who married Ellis Hughes. But any pre emigration Welch history/geography would be great.

Drawing a blank on Hughes family that was with them in Wales and on arrival in Penn colony.

I have .jpg photos of document. Do you know of a way I can attach .jpg to this thread? attach image doesn't seem to like my url.

thanx for all this effort.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12