Default John Howe Honour

I have not been able to find any service records of any kind for John Howe Honour. I see a possibility but I don't want to pay if it's not the person I am searching for. John Howe Honour was born about 1881 in Buckinghamshire. He was in WW1 and had a leg injury but we don't have any further information. This has been a brickwall for many years. What can I do to find his records?

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Carol, you dont say which record you've identified as the possibility, but if its the one in the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry and later the Labour Corps then he names his father as Thomas Honour of Yew Tree Farm, Charlton on Otmoor. His YoB varies between c1881-1892

The GRO BIRTH REG HAS JOHN How Honour b1880 MMN Seamons.

Marriage in 1879 in Aylesbury Alfred Honor & Susannah HOWE Seamons.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolRH View Post
    I have not been able to find any service records of any kind for John Howe Honour. I see a possibility but I don't want to pay if it's not the person I am searching for. John Howe Honour was born about 1881 in Buckinghamshire. He was in WW1 and had a leg injury but we don't have any further information. This has been a brickwall for many years. What can I do to find his records?
    Hi
    You may never be able to find his WW1 service record as 60% plus of those records were destroyed by bombing/fire/water in WW11. The records that did survive are available on Findmypast and ancestry.com both of which are pay per view sites. They both have free library versions depending on where you live.
    What did survive are the Medal Roll Index cards and the Medal and Award records but these very very rarely have any personal information on them so identifying the correct person can be very difficult.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Hi Carol, you dont say which record you've identified as the possibility, but if its the one in the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry and later the Labour Corps then he names his father as Thomas Honour of Yew Tree Farm, Charlton on Otmoor. His YoB varies between c1881-1892
    Just noticed my typo. This should say his YoB varies between c1888-1892

Thank you for looking. It can't be the one I thought it might be...because John Howe Honour's parents were Alfred Honour and Susannah Seamons. Not Thomas Honour. I wonder if there was an error in spelling John Howe Honour's name and that would make it hard, if not impossible, to find. He was injured so I hoped that would make it easier to find some record about him. But even that didn't help.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Hi Carol, you dont say which record you've identified as the possibility, but if its the one in the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry and later the Labour Corps then he names his father as Thomas Honour of Yew Tree Farm, Charlton on Otmoor. His YoB varies between c1888-1892
    I think this is the John Honour, birth registered June quarter 1888, Bicester registration district, which includes Charlton on Otmoor. 1891 census has this John with father Thomas.

CarolRH has a previous thread about John Howe Honour, and as duplicate threads cause confusion and duplicated research I am closing this one.
    Please post any further replies in
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...owe-Honour-WW1
    Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I tried looking in the Medal Roll Index cards using J Hono*r which brought up those written as Honor as well, with a return of 9 records but none with a middle initial of H.
    There are two with the initial J, one in the Royal Fusiliers, Intelligence Corps and the other in the Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort´s Own)
    I can't even find a Medal Roll Index card for the John Honour with father Thomas using the service numbers from his service record.

I see that John H, his wife Mary and their children emigrated to Canada in 1928 John having been there previously 1906 - 1909.
    Harriet age 16 born
    Philip 15

Mary Ann 13 born c1915
    HONOUR, ANNA MARY mother's maiden name BOURTON
    GRO Reference: 1914 Sept Quarter in AYLESBURY Vol 3A Page 2059

Kathleen 11 born 1917
    HONOUR, KATHLEEN ANNIE mother's maiden name BOURTON
    GRO Reference: 1917 June Quarter in AYLESBURY Vol 3A Page 1474

Margaret 6

Ordering Mary Ann's and or Kathleen's birth certificates would give you John H's occupation during the war years and if you are lucky enough, if he was in the army, may even give his regiment.

You order certificates from the GRO here using the information exactly as it is recorded in their index. You have to sign up to the site but it costs you nothing to join, just to buy the certificates and the GRO is the cheapest site from which to purchase them.

Sorry Pam I have been working on this one for a while so it was open and let me post. I have also copied it to the original thread.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs