Default One person - two names?

Hi,

I have spent many many years trying to solve a brickwall. Until earlier this year I was searching the name Dominic Michael Stringer but it appears his birth name may have been Dominic Cunningham Casey.

In the sister website - Forces War Records - there is a listing for a D Casey in the Royal Artillery. AS I am disabled and therefore money is tight could someone please tell me what information (i.e. full name , d.o.b. place of birth etc) might be included on the records?

thank you

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Daisy,

Firstly, our Terms and Conditions directly forbid people asking for look-ups. (Under section 7, copyright.)

Secondly, I think it would be most unusual for details such as date and place of birth to be given. They are more likely to be found in a person's service record, and those for personnel who served after 1921 are still held by the Ministry of Defence. Most of the records held by FWR are those which refer to a specific event in a person's service life, e.g. being taken PoW. Those records are usually held at The National Archives in Kew, and have not been indexed or filmed by any other commercial company so you therefore have to visit Kew or hire a researcher to find those records.

I can tell you that for this (and any other record), if the entry gives only an initial then that is the only 'name' in that record.

ADDED:
    Having read some of your other posts, I think I am quite safe in saying that the D. Casey in that FWR record is not yours because the date doesn't fit.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Hi Daisy,

Firstly, our Terms and Conditions directly forbid people asking for look-ups. (Under section 7, copyright.) /.....

.../

I can tell you that for this (and any other record), if the entry gives only an initial then that is the only 'name' in that record.

ADDED:
    Having read some of your other posts, I think I am quite safe in saying that the D. Casey in that FWR record is not yours because the date doesn't fit.

Pam
    hi Pam,

thank you for the information. I am sorry if I implied that I was asking for a look up, this was not my intention! I was trying to ascertain the amount of information that might be available if I were to take out a subscription.

Also, thank you for the info that you feel from posts on other sites that this the D Casey is unlikely to be the one I am researching. that in itself is useful to me.

Daisy1942

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Daisy,

Apologies for misunderstanding your question.

Just to clarify - I haven't read posts on any sites other than BG, so my answer so based on that.

Re records on FWR, the details can vary enormously.
    See forces-war-records.co.uk/collections
    That actually lists where the record was obtained from, and then if you click the dataset title, the sort of details you might find in that record.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Hi Daisy,

Apologies for misunderstanding your question.

Just to clarify - I haven't read posts on any sites other than BG, so my answer so based on that.

Re records on FWR, the details can vary enormously.
    See forces-war-records.co.uk/collections
    That actually lists where the record was obtained from, and then if you click the dataset title, the sort of details you might find in that record.

Pam

Thanks Pam that is exactly the type of information I was trying to ascertain. I shall have a good read around their background information and then decide if it is worth a sub.

Cheers
    Hazel