Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arthur Sabine

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Arthur Sabine

Hello everyone,
    I have come to a stand still for my mother in laws first husband Arthur Sabine. He was born in 1919 and died at the second battle of El Alamine in 1942. Could someone lead me in a direction to locate a site to find medals, commendations, family or any other information on Arthur? My mother in law is still living and is 96. She still has a great memory and I would love to give her information that I come up with.

Jimmy C

Hello Jimmy,

Is your mother-in-laws first name Edith? If so, the commemoration below will pertain to her first husband.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/c...rthur-charles/
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Jimmy if you look at www.cwgc.org, you will find his regiment, number, where he is commemorated. Service records can be applied for (there is a fee) via www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

Kind regards

Kim

Just to make sure we are on the right track is the man below the one you are researching?

Private SABINE, ARTHUR CHARLES
    Service Number 6209793
    Died 28/10/1942
    Aged 23
    1/7th Bn. Middlesex Regiment
    Son of Mark and Theresa Sabine; husband of E. M. Sabine.

I have removed the wife's full name as she is still alive.
    This record is the only one I can find on the CWGC site but that is assuming your Artgur Sabine served in the British army. I notice you are in Carolina.

If this is your man then the MoD still hold his service record which you can apply for. This link explains and gives the link where you can download the application forms. It will cost you 30 pounds and you will need his birthdate and a copy of a death certificate but could point them in the direction of the entry on the CWGC site.
    Christina
    Christina

ps. everybody types quicker than me. boohoo
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

ps. everybody types quicker than me. boohoo
    No, we don't. Christina, you have given a more comprehensive and informative reply, my typing is so slow I always try to take the easy route.

Jimmy, if you are interested in tracing Arthur's ancestry do say as we can probably help.
    Alma

Loves to help with queries

Payment doesn't apply for the spouse.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

This is great Christina. Yes, this is Arthur I am looking for. I will go to the archives. Is there anyway I can apply for any medals he may have received? I am not a relative of Arthur but it would be great if I could get them and put them in a shadow box.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Hello Jimmy,

Is your mother-in-laws first name Edith? If so, the commemoration below will pertain to her first husband.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/c...rthur-charles/
    Yes, she is my mother in law

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Yes ma'am Arthur is my 96 year old mother in laws first husband. He was killed at El Alamein on the 2nd attack. He served under General Livingston while they were fighting Rommell in the desert

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Yes, I am interested in finding out as much as I can about Arthur. I have been searching for information on him and his family for a year off and on now for a year. I know he had a couple of younger brothers. Mom never said much about him so, since I do research for my and my wife's family I am curious about Arthur. I would love to have a photo of him. That would definitely be the Holy Grail, especially if his in uniform.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast