Default Duplicate Records

Hi, I not encountered this issue before and would welcome any comments. I have two birth records for the first quarter in 1951. They are the same town and record numbers. The Christian name is the same and the Mother's maiden name is the same. The only difference is one record has the surname of the Mother's first husband and the second has the surname of the husband to be. I have looked at the copied records and the transcribed details are correct. One surname has further records the other doesn't. Many thanks in anticipation.

Is it the record with the second husband's surname that has further records available? Possibility that the second husband adopted the child so the record was changed or the second husband was actually the father of the child and this was made legal on the birth certificate.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Is it the record with the second husband's surname that has further records available? Possibility that the second husband adopted the child so the record was changed or the second husband was actually the father of the child and this was made legal on the birth certificate.
    Christina
    Yes it is the second husband. It was believed that the second husband was the father of the child and looking at the siblings I can believe this. The child was born six months before the marriage as they were waiting for a difficult divorce to come through. Many thanks.

Reputation beyond repute

One surname has further records the other doesn't.
    I'm afraid I don't know what that means. Are you talking about a manuscript amendment or note? If so, explain what the note says. It is possible to interpret what the notes mean.

The definitive way of course is to order the certificate.

Famous for offering help & advice

As Peter says, the only way to be sure of what happened is to order the certificate. (And I too don't know what you mean by "One surname has further records the other doesn't" - unless it's that there are other children indexed with that combination of names.)

Meanwhile, bear in mind that since the majority of the information is the same, including the reference number, it is likely to be a single registration with two entries in the index, rather than two separate registrations. This would mean that ordering from either index entry would produce exactly the same certificate.

I believe that duplicate index entries (ie with alternative surnames) typically arise when a child is born to parents who aren't married to each other, but both are named on the certificate. And from what you say, this could be what happened here.

To use fictitious names: Jane Smith married John Brown, and became known as Jane Brown. While in the process of divorcing John Brown she had a child with Bill Green, so the parents on the certificate would be recorded as Jane Brown née Smith and Bill Green. This would lead to index entries under Brown and Green, both showing mother's maiden name as Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    As Peter says, the only way to be sure of what happened is to order the certificate. (And I too don't know what you mean by "One surname has further records the other doesn't" - unless it's that there are other children indexed with that combination of names.)

Meanwhile, bear in mind that since the majority of the information is the same, including the reference number, it is likely to be a single registration with two entries in the index, rather than two separate registrations. This would mean that ordering from either index entry would produce exactly the same certificate.

I believe that duplicate index entries (ie with alternative surnames) typically arise when a child is born to parents who aren't married to each other, but both are named on the certificate. And from what you say, this could be what happened here.

To use fictitious names: Jane Smith married John Brown, and became known as Jane Brown. While in the process of divorcing John Brown she had a child with Bill Green, so the parents on the certificate would be recorded as Jane Brown née Smith and Bill Green. This would lead to index entries under Brown and Green, both showing mother's maiden name as Smith.
    Many thanks. I suspect you are right that because they were not married they are both on the same certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I'm afraid I don't know what that means. Are you talking about a manuscript amendment or note? If so, explain what the note says. It is possible to interpret what the notes mean.

The definitive way of course is to order the certificate.
    That was my next step to order a certificate. Many thanks.

Starting to feel at home

It is a simple case of a birth to unmarried parents, where both are named on the entry and therefore attended to register as joint informants. These are indexed under the surnames of both parents.

Exactly the scenario explained well in the previous reply:

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post