Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Zachariah Mellor and Jane Smith

I have hit a brick wall in my family tree and am in need of some help. I'm trying to find some information on the parents of Zachariah Mellor, who sometimes went by the name of James. I would like to try and find out who his parents were.

Zachariah Mellor was born in 31 DEC 1811 in Blackburn, Lancashire. He was baptised on 26th Feb 1812 where only his mother Mary Mellor was listed.

He married Jane Smith, daughter of Peter Smith and Mary Heyes in Blackburn in 1836 in Blackburn. Jane was born in 1817 in Blackburn. After they married they moved to Manchester where they had children.

I can't find any information on the parents of either Peter Smith or Mary Heyes as well as who Zachariah's father is.. Is anyone able to help? I feel like i've exhausted all avenues

Super Moderator

Is that your tree on Ancestry? Possibly not as it goes back a long way (I got as are as Thomas born 1550).

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    Is that your tree on Ancestry? Possibly not as it goes back a long way (I got as are as Thomas born 1550).
    Hi Sue,

Thee other trees that I can see don't seem to have any sources for their information so I'm reluctant to assume what they have as fact, especially as the father they have for Zsch was born significantly far away.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Have you tried

lan-opc.org.uk

Emeltee

Super Moderator

Just because Zac was born n Blackburn does not mean his father was born there also. I see on one census it looks like the father of a Zac was a Plasterer. That means he probably travelled around to where he could get work. My grandfather was born in Market Drayton in Shropshire. He lived and died in Tunstall in Staffs. My dad was born in North Wales, he lived and died in Birmingham. As I have looked at trees on Ancestry, I am sure that is where all the info. had come from. I have been researching for approx. 20 years but have only recently started attaching the hints. I always read the hints though because some of them do not relate to the person I am researching.

I can't find any information on the parents of either Peter Smith or Mary Heyes
    According to the 1851 census both Peter Smith (born 1800) and Mary (born 1801) were born in Blackburn. HO107; Piece 2258; folio 163; page 40.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGRB-J1Q

There is this baptism. Peter Smith, Blackburn 29 Apr 1798, son of Peter and Jane.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JSSY-K8P

I hope this helps, Alma.
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    Just because Zac was born n Blackburn does not mean his father was born there also. I see on one census it looks like the father of a Zac was a Plasterer. That means he probably travelled around to where he could get work. My grandfather was born in Market Drayton in Shropshire. He lived and died in Tunstall in Staffs. My dad was born in North Wales, he lived and died in Birmingham. As I have looked at trees on Ancestry, I am sure that is where all the info. had come from. I have been researching for approx. 20 years but have only recently started attaching the hints. I always read the hints though because some of them do not relate to the person I am researching.
    Hi Sue,

Thanks for your help

On which census did you find that Zachariah's father was a plasterer? I would be interested to see it. I completely understand and agree that his father could have been born in Staffordshire, I've had many ancestors who's parents were born elsewhere, but I've always found a document to back it up i.e the father appeared with the son in a census or he was listed on the baptism records. Where as here I haven't found that.

I'll take another look at those other trees 😊

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    According to the 1851 census both Peter Smith (born 1800) and Mary (born 1801) were born in Blackburn. HO107; Piece 2258; folio 163; page 40.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGRB-J1Q

There is this baptism. Peter Smith, Blackburn 29 Apr 1798, son of Peter and Jane.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JSSY-K8P

I hope this helps, Alma.
    Thanks Alma I'll take a look at this. Much appreciated.

Super Moderator

I did a search on Ancestry for Zac and came up with loads of entries. One being the Mellor Family Tree. By the way have you looked at Meller too? Spellings can also change due to transcriptions etc

On the 1841 Census, living with Zachary Mellor, age 25, shoemaker, and Jane Mellor, age 20, is a James Mellor, age 45, labourer. Unfortunately, the 1841 Census does not identify relationship. This would appear to be your Zachary?

At his scheduled insolvent Debtor hearing, 6 May 1853, Zachary is described as " ... beerseller; ...and during the whole time boot and shoe maker" (Manchester Courier, 23 April 1853).
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast