Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

I agree that James may not be his father. Have you seen the entry on the 1841 census? If not it has been transcribed as Lachasih Melton, but looking at the actual return it is Zachariah Mellor, shoemaker.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Peter Smith

I agree with Alma’s post #6. If you look at the 1851 census listed they have their grandson James Mellor living with them.

I am sure that you know that Peter Smith married Mary Heyes in Blackburn on 18 Feb 1817. But did you know that the only other marriage that I can find between a Peter Smith and a Mary Heyes took place 20 Nov 1826 in Bolton le Moors which is about 14 miles from Blackburn?

It’s likely that your Peter and Mary can be found in the 1841 census in Cannon Street, Blackburn – Piece 502, book 4, folio 39, page 25. And in the 1861 census – Piece 3094 Folio 15 Page 23

It’s possible, based on the fact that I have not found him in the 1871 census, that Peter died in 1867 aged 62. GRO Reference: 1867 D Quarter in BLACKBURN Volume 08E Page 205

Again, given that Mary hasn’t been found in the 1871 census, she may have also died in the 1860s, but there are a number of possible deaths:

GRO Reference: 1861 S Quarter in BLACKBURN Volume 08E Page 174 – aged 64
    GRO Reference: 1863 M Quarter in BLACKBURN Volume 08E Page 231 – aged 64
    GRO Reference: 1867 S Quarter in BLACKBURN Volume 08E Page 227 – aged 65

If you look at the transcription of the 1861 census it says that Peter was born in Brooks, Lancashire. However, there is no such place. But if you look at the original I think that it is mis-transcription of something like “Brocko”, which could be an abbreviation of “Brockholes” which is part of Grimsargh and is north-west of Blackburn on the outskirts of Preston.
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/node/70214

Famous for offering help & advice

In the Ancestry record set Lancashire, England, Quarter Session Records and Petitions is an 1813 Order Book record that refers to an Order whereby James Williams, a chairmaker of Blackburn was adjudged to be the father of a male bastard child born upon the body of Mary Mellor of Livesey, single woman.

The Petition, which is dated April 1813, is a bit faded in places, but it looks like the child was born 31st day of D......

Zach's baptism shows a DoB of 31 Dec 1811.

Could this be him & his mother Mary Mellor?

Added: In 1841 a James Williams 55 Chairmaker is living in Blackburn - could be a good candidate?

I do wish we had a like button as some of the replies are down to great research Well done.

I'm sure Ashleigh will be very pleased.
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    I do wish we had a like button as some of the replies are down to great research Well done.

I'm sure Ashleigh will be very pleased.
    I second your sentiments Alma

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Completely agree with you. If trees have no sources, no matter how tempting they are I ignore them.
    Also if a tree has more sources than Records it means they "Ancestry" have taken info from Public Ancestry Trees and sometimes these trees have wrong info in them. All trees go to Ancestry if you make them public that is what you see My trees are always Private so anyone has to ask my permission to see them. No one checks them to see if info is right so be aware if you share others info make sure you check it out before you add it to your tree.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I think your man's father was John Mellor, as in the same Wesleyan Register I found the baptism of Mary Mellor, daughter of John and Mary on 2 June 1799. She was born on 27 April 1799. At the same time a James and Jane Mellor, also of Blackburn, were having children baptised in the same church. I will have a look for the other names you mention.

Kind Regards
    Kim

Famous for offering help & advice

The baptism shows no named father - only the mother, Mary - and I'm reasonably confident that the illegitimate child of Mary Mellor mentioned in the Petition & Order at post #23 is Zach.

What I'm less confident about is what happened to Mary.

There is a marriage in Blackburn in 1821 between James Shorrock, Shoemaker, Bachelor, Blackburn & Mary Mellor, Spinster, Blackburn that could be her.

Also a burial in July 1825 in Blackburn of Mary Shorrock aged 35, wife of James, died of consumption.

How to prove or disprove whether this is the same Mary Mellor is the tricky bit!

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    In the Ancestry record set Lancashire, England, Quarter Session Records and Petitions is an 1813 Order Book record that refers to an Order whereby James Williams, a chairmaker of Blackburn was adjudged to be the father of a male bastard child born upon the body of Mary Mellor of Livesey, single woman.

The Petition, which is dated April 1813, is a bit faded in places, but it looks like the child was born 31st day of D......

Zach's baptism shows a DoB of 31 Dec 1811.

Could this be him & his mother Mary Mellor?

Added: In 1841 a James Williams 55 Chairmaker is living in Blackburn - could be a good candidate?
    That is some excellent detective work. Apologies for only just seeing this post now. So, is it likely that Mary Mellor was seeking some form of child support for her son?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleigh_ View Post
    That is some excellent detective work. Apologies for only just seeing this post now. So, is it likely that Mary Mellor was seeking some form of child support for her son?
    No. Mary was probably getting some form of parish (poor) relief, so it is the churchwardens and overseers of the poor (do gooders) of the township of Livesey who go after James Williams, and indeed every other similar case.

First they will have interrogated the mother to find out who she alleges the father is and then they go to court to establish if that is the case and who has financial liability. The alleged father can challenge the mother's allegation. What the "do gooders" are interested in is who is financially liable? If they can't pin it on a man then they are.

Under the poor laws of the time even when the child was grown if he had moved away and fallen on hard times he could be shipped back to them.

James Williams was ordered to pay the do gooders £2 16s to cover the cost of birthing, 14s to cover the cost of maintenance from birth to the court case and 2s a week there after. It does not say how much of that Mary got.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast