Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    On the 1841 Census, living with Zachary Mellor, age 25, shoemaker, and Jane Mellor, age 20, is a James Mellor, age 45, labourer. Unfortunately, the 1841 Census does not identify relationship. This would appear to be your Zachary?

At his scheduled insolvent Debtor hearing, 6 May 1853, Zachary is described as " ... beerseller; ...and during the whole time boot and shoe maker" (Manchester Courier, 23 April 1853).
    How on earth did I miss this? I'll take a look at this right away - thanks for your help!

Zecheriah Mellor was baptised on Feb 26 1812. Baptised on the same day, same church (Calvinist Methodist) were -
    Ann Coulhurst Mellor, dau of James and Jane Mellor, Blackburn, born Nov 1 1807
    Benjamin Mellor, son of James and Jane Mellor, Blackburn, born Mar 14 1810
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Zecheriah Mellor was baptised on Feb 26 1812. Baptised on the same day, same church (Calvinist Methodist) were -
    Ann Coulhurst Mellor, dau of James and Jane Mellor, Blackburn, born Nov 1 1807
    Benjamin Mellor, son of James and Jane Mellor, Blackburn, born Mar 14 1810
    Thank you Helachau. I think we have our guy. Coulhurst was a middle name given to one of Zach's children so this all makes sense.

Can I ask which site you found the newspaper article for Zach as mentioned in a previous post? I have a subscription for the British newspaper archive and I can't find the article that you refer to.

Found on BNA under search key Zachariah Mellor

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleigh_ View Post
    Hi Sue,

Thee other trees that I can see don't seem to have any sources for their information so I'm reluctant to assume what they have as fact, especially as the father they have for Zsch was born significantly far away.

Completely agree with you. If trees have no sources, no matter how tempting they are I ignore them.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleigh_ View Post
    Thank you Helachau. I think we have our guy. Coulhurst was a middle name given to one of Zach's children so this all makes sense.

Can I ask which site you found the newspaper article for Zach as mentioned in a previous post? I have a subscription for the British newspaper archive and I can't find the article that you refer to.
    Ashleigh:
    Whilst James and Zechariah were probably related I don't think that you can assume that James was his father. It's just as likely that he was his uncle, I.e. brother of Mary Mellor.

You can also check The London Gazette https://thegazette.co.uk/all-notices

Put "zachariah mellor" in Text search (include the " " as part of key) and hit Update Results

I endorse Megan's advice.

Super Moderator

The tree I looked at on Ancestry have all the sources for Zaccariah born 1811, his father James, grandfather George, although it really does not look as if some of the entries relate to this family. Was Zaccariah a shoemaker?

Someone has obviously done a lot of work on this tree as the earliest entry is William Miller abt 1450 - 1482 born in Bishops Stortford. The name changes to Mellar then Mellor in the 1600's Lancashire makes its first appearance in 1622. Looks as if this tree is all over the country! Yorkshire, Staffordshire, Hertfordshire, Lancashire.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    The tree I looked at on Ancestry have all the sources for Zaccariah born 1811, his father James, grandfather George, although it really does not look as if some of the entries relate to this family. Was Zaccariah a shoemaker?

Someone has obviously done a lot of work on this tree as the earliest entry is William Miller abt 1450 - 1482 born in Bishops Stortford. The name changes to Mellar then Mellor in the 1600's Lancashire makes its first appearance in 1622. Looks as if this tree is all over the country! Yorkshire, Staffordshire, Hertfordshire, Lancashire.
    Hi Sue,

Zachariah was a shoe maker and was also an Inn Keeper, living at Tickle Lane in Manchester. I'm confident that everything I have for him is correct post marriage to Jane and I have documents to back this up. The problem is that there is no document on anyone's tree (that I can see) that says that James is the father of Zach. It seems odd that James would list his self as the father of Benjamin and Ann but not as the father of Zachariah when they were baptised at the same church on the same day. This makes me think that they are related but not necessarily the father.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast