Starting to feel at home

Default Baptism and Confirmation Records

Can anyone help me with information about Lancashire Baptism and Confirmation Records?

I am particularly interested in finding records for:
    James Sharples b.Bolton 1906
    John Sharples b.Bolton 1909
    Emily Sharples b. Blackburn 1915

They were most probably members of St Matthew's C of E Blackburn.

Diocese of Manchester?

I am also keen to access School Admission Registers, especially for St Matthew's C of E School in Blackburn.

I live in NZ, so researching these records from overseas is difficult!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Starting to feel at home

Thanks for your response! Yes, I have tried Online Parish Clerks - targetting Blackburn, Bolton, Darwen, Great Lever, Little Lever, etc. but with absolutely no result. My 'grandfather' the Rev'd C.B. Holland served at St Matthew's and also St Barnabas, Darwen, between 1924 and 1926. John Sharples (my father) lived with him at this time, and later changed his name to John Sharples Holland. My father was born in Bolton, but the family later were more associated with Blackburn. My main research interest at the moment is my father's school history, but also trying to establish at what point in his life he went to live with the Rev'd C.B. Holland! Cheers, Michael.

Famous for offering help & advice

There is a baptism record & image on Find My Past .

Emily Sharples at Blackburn ,St Matthews.

DOB:09 Dec 1914

Baptism:17 Feb 1915

Father:John
    Mother: Margaret

23 Riley St.

Transcription,no image.
    James Sharples
    DOB::1906
    Baptism:22 Nov 1906
    Mother:Margaret

Starting to feel at home

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    There is a baptism record & image on Find My Past .

Emily Sharples at Blackburn ,St Matthews.

DOB:09 Dec 1914

Baptism:17 Feb 1915

Mother: Margaret

23 Riley St.

Transcription,no image.
    James Sharples
    DOB::1906
    Baptism:22 Nov 1906
    Mother:Margaret
    Thanks! Good to have those! Interesting to note that my uncle James was baptised in the Wesleyan Chapel, while Aunt Emily was baptised at St Matthew's (C of E)! I have since found that James was married in St Matthew's in 1929! My father, John, was born in 1909, between James and Emily, and I am frustrated that I just can't find any reference to his being baptised! (He later emigrated to NZ and became an Anglican priest!)

My major frustration, however, is trying to find information about their school histories! I have always assumed that they went to St Matthew's C of E school, but while I have tried to access School Admission Registers online I just keep getting "Sorry, No Results!" messages!

As far as I know, my father left home at age 13 to go and live with Rev'd C.B. Holland, because CBH had offered to assist him in furthering his education! The only other further record I have of my father and CBH is in 1936 when my father had finished studying at Bishop Wilson Theological College on the Isle of Man. A notice in the London Gazette records my father changing his surname from Sharples to Sharples Holland, and gives his address as living with CBH at the Vicarage in Knuzden. Just a few weeks later, my father set sail for N.Z.

Again, many thanks for your assistance!

Famous for offering help & advice

Have you made any enquires about Blackburn grammar school? As a bright boy he may have gone there after primary school.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Have you made any enquires about Blackburn grammar school? As a bright boy he may have gone there after primary school.
    Good thinking, Grisel - a very helpful suggestion, thanks! My father would have turned 13 years of age in Dec. 1922 so I assume he would have started grammar school in 1923.

I have now found entries for the Rev'd C.B. Holland on the Electoral Rolls for 1924 (80 Queen's Park Road, Blackburn); 1925 (29 Sprig Vale Garden Village, Darwen); 1925 (9 Cranfield View, Darwen); so will look for grammar schools in that area!

Regards,

Michael.

Reputation beyond repute

so will look for grammar schools in that area!
    Er... You don't have to. Grisel has already identified Blackburn Grammar School as a possibility.

See Wikipedia and Lancs Archives

https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/media/...e-Nov-2010.pdf

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Er... You don't have to. Grisel has already identified Blackburn Grammar School as a possibility.

See Wikipedia and Lancs Archives

https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/media/...e-Nov-2010.pdf
    Again, thanks Peter! Following up on Grisel's advice, I found Blackburn Grammar School, now known as the Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School.

Peter, I followed up on your Lancs Archives suggestion, and there was an excellent pdf file which I have downloaded, with a very good section on Lancashire Schools and a list of records held at Lancs Archives (including School Admission Registers).

I will be contacting the Lancs Archives office, and I'm just hoping that the relevant

records will be accessible online.

Thankyou to all who contributed suggestions - this was all just what I needed!

Michael.