Loves to help with queries

Default Which parishes cover Medway RD in 1882-1885

I'm trying to locate parish registers that would cover Medway RD in 1882-1885. If I'm really lucky, the Medway Archives may have them, but knowing the churches involved would help narrow the search. I've looked on FMP etc. and not found much.

Reputation beyond repute

If I'm really lucky, the Medway Archives may have them
    Let's have a look, then

https://cityark.medway.gov.uk/

Select "Parish Records". Note that the Archdeaconry of Rochester covers more than the Medway RD.

Records are not name indexed. If you're looking for marriages, there's a partial surname index available.

Why don't you tell us what the actual problem is? Then we could advise the most efficient way forward.

Hello Peter;

Sorry; but I didn't really want to impose on anyone to actually find the records, which is why I didn't give more. That said, I've included the details below. Hope you can help.

The following GRO Index and 1891 Censs shows the two people for whom I'm trying to find the parish baptismal records. I've tried FMP and Ancestry and even FamilySearch... no luck. They just don't cover that area.

You'll notice that the census shows the birth location as Chatham, Kent. I've checked the voters list and their father, Arthur Coleborne, did have a home at 53 St. George's St., Canterbury and a "Toy & Fancy Repository" at 151 High St., Chatham, Kent. Now with another place, Chartham, being just outside Canterbury and closer to home, I hope the enumerator didn't get things mixed up.

COLBORNE, FLORENCE LOUISE
    Birth 1882 D QTR
    Reg. MEDWAY
    vol. 02A, p. 556
    mmn: BULL

1891 Census
    KENRG12_707_709-0168
    Canterbury, Kent
    53 St. George's St.
    Daughter
    (blank)
    (blank)
    Chatham, Kent

---AND---

1891 Census
    COLBOURNE,RosinaIsabel
    Birth 1885 D QTR
    Reg. MEDWAY
    vol. 02A, p. 552
    mmn: BULL

KENRG12_707_709-0168
    Canterbury, Kent
    53 St. George's St.
    Daughter
    (blank)
    (blank)
    Chatham, Kent

Regards;
    Gary

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I presume that you hae a BMD registration you've found in the Medway registration district.

If so, search for it on FreeBMD, and then click on the name Medway. Then click on the link on the next page.

You do have to read all the small print because parishes do change their names/move to different districts over time, but the dates are given. The St Margaret ones will be in Rochester.

Not applicable in this case, but may be in others, you need to remember to scroll down the page to see all the relevant details.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

At the top of the census page images in addition to a box marked 'civil parish' there is often a box marked 'ecclesiastical parish'.
    If that's filled in it can often be a big clue as to where baptisms, marriages, and burials, took place.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    At the top of the census page images in addition to a box marked 'civil parish' there is often a box marked 'ecclesiastical parish'.
    If that's filled in it can often be a big clue as to where baptisms, marriages, and burials, took place.

Pam
    Thanks, Pam. The Ecclesiastical Parish is "Part of St. George The Martyr."

Pam
    I did write a further reply which vanished into the ether, so will try again.

In your case, by 1891 the people are living in Canterbury, so the St George the Maryr will be the one in Canterbury (both city and registration district).

Links to all registration districts, plus a list of (most) place names.
    ukbmd.org.uk/reg/index.html

Pam

Reputation beyond repute

I think the parish for High Street Chatham would have been St Mary. FamilySearch batch C012535 covered St Mary baptisms 1876-1884 (for example).

If you've got GRO references to the birth registrations,why are you worrying about baptisms which you can't be sure actually happened? Ordering the birth certificates is surely the most efficient approach.

Were you aware that the link I provided in message #2 leads to the actual images of the parish registers?

I did write a further reply which vanished into the ether, so will try again.

In your case, by 1891 the people are living in Canterbury, so the St George the Maryr will be the one in Canterbury (both city and registration district).

Links to all registration districts, plus a list of (most) place names.
    ukbmd.org.uk/reg/index.html

Pam
    Thanks, Pam. Will have a look and see what I can find.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I think the parish for High Street Chatham would have been St Mary. FamilySearch batch C012535 covered St Mary baptisms 1876-1884 (for example).

If you've got GRO references to the birth registrations,why are you worrying about baptisms which you can't be sure actually happened? Ordering the birth certificates is surely the most efficient approach.

Were you aware that the link I provided in message #2 leads to the actual images of the parish registers?
    Peter;

I'll have a look at the batch you noted.

These two people are sisters to my direct ancestor, so I'm trying to save the cost of the certificates and use that money on ones for the main line of descent. As for looking at baptismal certificates at all... In this family, there seemed to be a large number of unusual things happen, often accompanied by marginal notes. Also, their previous siblings were all baptized as a group after the child just prior to them died at 3 mths old. I wanted to see if they were baptized at all and when.

Curious about your comment on whether the baptisms happened at all. Could you explain further? Always trying to learn...