Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Question George ARMSTRONG

I am looking for the grave/marker for George ARMSTRONG who I believe is buried at Bishopwearmouth Cemetery (his parents & siblings lived at Hill House Farm, Humbledon Hill, Sunderland).
    My ancestor George ARMSTRONG, according to his death certificate died on 6 Sep 1912 aged 12 years (born 9 Nov 1899).
    …only a few months before his parents and the rest of his siblings immigrated to Australia.
    (My father and I have inherited his name, so it means something very special to find his grave & marker.)

Thanks for any help you can give.

Best Regards,
    Lyndon George ARMSTRONG
    Brisbane Australia
    Last edited by christanel; 09-11-2019 at 8:19 AM. Reason: phone number removed

Knowledgeable and helpful

On the Bishopswearmouth Cemetery web site they show his month of burial as Dec 1912 ( no date given - age 13).There is a Henry George Armstrong buried on 3 Dec 1912, but no age shown. Could be coincidence. Of course there may not be a grave marker for your George. Probably interred in the grave of a family member.
    Perhaps you might try and contact the cemetery.

PS I have just checked GRO Index. Henry George Armstrong was aged 80
    Last edited by brentor boy; 09-11-2019 at 8:16 AM. Reason: More information

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Sunderland Local Studies libray has the burial registers for Bishopwearmouth cemetery on microfilm.
    I can see a George Armstrong buried Sept 1912 is on reel 33 folio number 86 entry 1703 - and that entry will give the ward no and grave number. There are online maps of the cemetery that will allow me to find that grave in the cemetery
    I use this facility 2 or 3 times a month and the cemetery is only half a mile from my house.

Next time I'm at the LSL I'll look this up for you and pop along to the cemetery. No problem - just bear with me.

Cheers, MTS
    Last edited by emmteeyess; 09-11-2019 at 11:41 AM. Reason: wrong person originaly

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for your assistance. It's much appreciated. Best Rgds, LyndonA

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

This may be the one I am looking for! THANK YOU so much for the information so far.
    When you can fit a visit in, I would love a photo of the headstone or grave marker, if it exists, please. Could you also send me a link to the online cemetery map, please - we are planning a visit to Sunderland/Northumbria/Scotland in Sep/Oct next year and of course we'd love to see the grave ourselves. Thanks very much again...LyndonA

RESULT

I couldn't let this niggle away at me so I popped into the library and looked up the burial register mentioned above

p.86 entry 1703 - George Armstrong - son of Joseph Armstrong - age 12 years - death occurred at Hill House Farm Durham Road - buried September 8th - service by Rev'd Grainger - grave ref 11 A 522 - unconsecrated - 5ft depth - 2nd intermemt

Seeing it was 2nd interment I looked at the grave register and there was a Robert George Parker buried there May 5th 1895. I looked up his burial details too.

My bus home stops outside the cemetery so I went and found grave 11A522 - and there was a gravestone that I was able to photograph!

It reads -
    In loving Memory of GEORGE
    The beloved son of JOSEPH & MARGARET ARMSTRONG
    Who died 6th September 1912
    Aged 12 Years

Also ROBERT GEORGE PARKER
    His uncle and beloved .......(son of?)
    MAWSON & MARY ANN PARKER

(so looks like Robert George Parker was George's uncle.)

I'll send you a pm to give my contact details so I can send you copies of the register entries and the photos, maps, links etc.

Cheers, MTS

My apologies - I can't get the image to upload to this thread. The method seems to have changed and become impossible to follow since I last did that!

Quote Originally Posted by emmteeyess View Post

It reads -
    In loving Memory of GEORGE
    The beloved son of JOSEPH & MARGARET ARMSTRONG
    Who died 6th September 1912
    Aged 12 Years

Also ROBERT GEORGE PARKER
    His uncle and beloved .......(son of?)
    MAWSON & MARY ANN PARKER
    opps - his parents are JOSEPH and MARCIA ARMSTRONG

Hi MTS
    yes you are right the method for uploading photos has changed in the last couple of months and they now need to be downloaded from a site with a URL such as Imgur. You can type Free Image Hosting Sites for Your Photos in to your browser and get some others.
    You have reminded me to ask Admin again if it can be restored to the previous method of uploading photos.

Also thank you so much for being so interested in Lyndon's query that you took the time to chase down all the information and take photos. A brilliant result.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post

Also thank you so much for being so interested in Lyndon's query that you took the time to chase down all the information and take photos. A brilliant result.
    Christina
    It was agood result, wasn't it?!

I can't resist looking up local sources - especialy when they're offline and can't be accessed other than by being 'on the spot' - gives a warm glow all round!
    Searching these also hone my own research skills and help me locate more sources etc. Finally the microfilms are free to search and copy and I use my free bus pass to get there and back so all it costs me is a couple of hours of my time.
    Win, win all round!

I don't need it very often but the old way of uploading images WAS much easier, especialy for offline images.

Cheers, MTS

Quote Originally Posted by emmteeyess View Post
    oops - his parents are JOSEPH and MARCIA ARMSTRONG
    Double oops
    I've now found the family on the 1911 census, and the marriage of Joseph Armstrong to Margaret Ann Parker at St.Michael's church, Bishopwearmouth on 04 Nov 1883 and realised the gravestone is carved as "son of JOSEPH & MARGT.A. ARMSTRONG" - not MARCIA

Cheers, MTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast