Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Hi Elwyn, what is a Chemical Worker? Our Eloza’s Father John was listed as this on her birth cert.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I would say it was someone who worked in a chemical factory. Taking into account the other occupations John had in the censuses which were mostly labouring work, it probably involved similar tasks within a chemical factory. Eg carrying chemicals and other relevant materials around. So coal, oil, waste products. That sort of thing.

I was brought up in that part of Scotland in the 1950s and 1960s and the whole Forth-Clyde valley then was a mass of coal mines, shale mines (extracting oil from shale), steel and iron works, plus other heavy industry. There were factories everywhere making all sort of chemicals, from coal and oil, or for use in the oil refining processes eg acids. He’ll have been working for one of those companies.

If you study the Scottish census in the area where he lived, eg by viewing the pages before and after the one where he lived, you’ll get a flavour of the industries in that area. That may give you a clue as to precisely what he did. But as I say his background suggests he was probably a general labourer rather than a skilled operative.
    ELWYN

Thankyou

Can anyone locate a death record for Maria? John is a widow on the 1871 census so she must have died btw 1863-1871. She had her last child in 1863.

Famous for offering help & advice

I don't have any credits, but the free index on Ancestryireland.com has a birth/baptism record in 1846, Co. Antrim for a John Thompson, father John. If this is the correct family then it may lead you to the place of marriage.

Sorry for the very delayed response. I can’t see an entry for a John Thompson in 1846 with father John in Antrim. Are you able to send me a screen shot of the entry? Many thanks. Kate.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234