Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Settling in

Default MAY family of Middlesex

Hi,
    I have been struggling to find the ancestral line back from Frederick Henry May. I only have an 1939 Register and Marriage Certificate from 1914, but unable to locate his birth certificate.

Federick Henry May DOB on the 1939 Register was 07 Sep 1889.

Frederick married Alice Maria Kelly in 4 August 1914 in Edmonton, Middlesex (Have Certificate). Frederick's age is 23 (1891). Frederick's father on the Marriage certificate is Charles William May (Farmer). Both their address on the marriage certificate as 33 Albert Road, Tottenham, Middlesex. They were married at the Register Office in Edmonton, Middlesex.

In the 1939 Register, Frederick's address was 14 Glenalmond Road, Harrow, HA3 9JY

(Possible sibling of Frederick) A witness on the marriage certificate was Alice Eliza Oakford. Her maiden name is Alice Eliza May who married William John Oakford. Alice's DOB was 18 July 1893 on 1939 Register.

Baptism record of their son, Willam Oakford born 16 Mar 1914 in Edmonton, Baptism 5 April 1914 at St John Stamford Hill. Their address on the baptism record is 33 Albert Road. Motor Bus Cleaner. This is the same address as Frederick Henry May on this marriage certifcate in 1914. Frederick is also a Motor Bus Cleaner. Their address in 1939 was 3 Eckington Road, Tottenham

Thank you for any help you may be able to offer on this.

Have you found him in any of the censuses? If so, where do they say he was born?

Super Moderator

Have you looked at Henry Frederick (or Harry Frederick) instead of Frederick Henry?

On my mm and dad's marriage cert, dad's age is 27. This was in 1949 so I would expect his birth date to be about 1922. He was actually born in 1912 and thought the age difference was a bit to much. Mom knew but didn't care anyway!

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Have you found him in any of the censuses? If so, where do they say he was born?
    Hi Leslie, that's my problem. All my sources (marriage certificate and 1839 Register) are just before the 1911 census. I've been searching through freebmd and gro for a birth record especially with a specific DOB on the 1939 register. All indications are they were born in Edmonton or another area of Middlesex.

Super Moderator

There is an entry on the 1901 Census:

49 Warwick Road, Edmonton.
    William May born abt 1858 Islington
    Minnie Wife b abt 1862 South Wales
    Alice - daughter
    Ada - daughter
    Arthur - son
    Bertie - son
    (Transcribed as) Arturas - son born Southampton
    (Transcribed as) Cisell - son born Hackney
    Herbert b Edmonton
    Minnie - daughter
    Frederick - son b abt 1890 Hackney.

Sub District of Edmonton.

Alice was born abt 1878, so this could be your family and this Alice the witness at the marriage of Frederick.

Found on the 1911 census:

William
    Minnie
    Frederick born Hackney, Cabinet Maker
    Artemus - Baker
    Cecil
    Herbert
    Minnie

Address of residence on the 1911 census is 57 Lopen Road, Edmonton

Reputation beyond repute

A witness on the marriage certificate was Alice Eliza Oakford. Her maiden name is Alice Eliza May who married William John Oakford. Alice's DOB was 18 July 1893 on 1939 Register.
    What is her father's name on the marriage certificate?

You need to verify that this is a sister before you start looking at census records for an Alice and a Frederick together.

I meant the earlier censuses. If he was born around 1889, that gives you the 1891 and 1901 to check for Fredericks with father Charles...

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    What is her father's name on the marriage certificate?

You need to verify that this is a sister before you start looking at census records for an Alice and a Frederick together.
    Peter, I’ve sent away for her certificate this week.

Growing old Disgracefully

I can find Alice Maria Kelly family back, but nothing after her marriage only the 1939 reg. they had 3 son,s living with them and 4 closed records. so 7 children altogether.

also found this on Family Search 1891 Census
    Charles May Head Male 40 Mashbury, Essex
    Phoebe May Wife Female 36 Chignall, Essex
    Walter May Son Male 14 Chignall, Essex
    Alice May Daughter Female 7 Chignall, Essex
    Nellie May Daughter Female 5 Chignall, Essex
    Emily May Daughter Female 2 Chignall, Essex
    William G May Son Male 0 Chignall, Essex

Found this in 1901 census
    Name Age
    Henry May 59
    Sarah May 55
    Harry May 30
    Arthur May 21
    Frederick May 8 - Grandson

The Birth dates don't match up but then people made mistakes with birth dates all the time

According to #1, Charles should be a farmer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast