Loves to help with queries

Default Isabella JACOBS, Henry LEVESTON & LAZARUS

Hiya, I'm not new; I've been posting for a few years, mostly about early LAZARUS families.
    But I can't find the link for posting new queries, so I'm hoping someone will move this to the right place in the British Jewish Forum.

My query:
    Henry Jacob LEVESTON (born London c.1837 to Michael Jacob LEVESTON and Sarah JOSEPH) married Isabella JACOBS in Glasgow on 13 Jan 1864 (FHL Film Number: 6035516, retrieved from Ancestry.ca)
    I want to confirm that I have the right Isabella JACOBS.

Isabella Jacobs is most likely Isabella daughter of Eleazer JACOBS and Sarah Maria LAZARUS who was born in London about 1837. She appears with her parents in the 1841,1851 and 1861 censuses before disappearing from any records I can find (more on this below). Isabella, wife of Henry Leveston is recorded (in the Scottish censuses subsequent to their marriage) as born in London c.1838.

Henry's brother Samuel LEVESTON was married to Rebecca LAZARUS. Rebecca was a daughter of Eleazer LAZARUS (Lezer b. Jospeh / Yozefa/Yespe of Worms), a draper of Chiswell Street c.1778-1825 and Elizabeth (Lea Lepet)JOSEPH (c.1791-1869). There was a network (knotwork?) of marriages between the LAZARUS & JACOBS families, so it seems likely that Henry's Isabella was the same Isabella closely related to his sister-in-law.

But I have no proof and I wonder if someone else out there does as there are a couple of problems.

One is that there was at least one other Isabella Jacobs born in London c.1837/8.
    The other is that after the 1851 England Census not only Isabella, but 3 of her 4 known siblings also disappear. These were Morris (c.1828), Joseph (c.1830), and Priscella (sic)(1843). (Sister Rosetta Jacobs was probably she who married Abraham FRANKS in 1862, but I haven't proven this.) Is Isabella of this family the same who appears in the Scotland 1861 census as Isabella Leveston, or did she disappear wherever her siblings disappeared, and Henry's wife is an inconvenient other?

Confirmation one way or the other welcome. (And I'm afraid I can't afford to pay for certificates, so I'm grovelling for free info.)
    Last edited by Eve Mary; 03-11-2019 at 4:55 AM. Reason: minor edits

Eve
    I have full access to Ancestry.Co records but can't seem to locate an Isabella Leveston in the 1861 Scotland Census as per your #1. From your original records who was Isabella living with in the census.
    This Leveston line appear not to be a common one in the various records.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Eve
    Could you please confirm that the Leveston surname spelling is the correct one. I have looked on Ancestry.Co; JewishGen and in Berger for the line but can't locate it even with phonetic searches. What census and other records do you have which confirm the surname?

There is 1 Ancestry.Co family tree by Sue Lazarus which has the Eleazer Jacobs =1 Sarah Maria Lazarus 1805-1846 and 2 second marriage Ann Isaacs in 1848. Unfortunately, the children are listed but no further details beyond dob.

For other researchers- Death Eleazer Elias Jacobs 23.3.1874 at 72 Mansell Street aged 72 lamented by his sorrowing widow,daughters,brother, sister and friends Nb No reference to his sons in the Berger record.

Death-Ann Jacobs 6.4.1876 at her residence 72 Mansell Street Goodman's Fields Ann the relict of the late Eleazer Jacobs, aged 78 years lamented by her sorrowing sister, family and large circle of friends.

Eleazer,Ann and her sister appear in the 1871 Census (Copyright TNA)RG10 523 77 7
    72 Mansell Street Whitechapel London
    Eleazer Jacobs H M 69 Shopman b London
    Ann wife 71 b Hants Portsmouth
    Harriet ISAACS sister u 69 b Hants Portsmouth

Any help from other researchers to identify the Leveston line would be appreciated.

LEVENSTON. It should be Henry LEVENSTON with an "N", not Leveston.

That, Phillip, is because I made an egregious mistake. I don't know how to edit it. The name should be LEVENSTON, not Leveston. Isabella doesn't appear in the Scotland census under that name until 1871 as she was married only in 1864.
    In 1861 I think she's the Isabella in this England census at 19 Mansell Street in London (Class: RG 9; Piece: 273; Folio: 74; Page: 7; GSU roll: 542604):

Name: Eleazer Jacobs Clothier
    Estimated birth year: 1801
    Relation: Head
    Where born: Whitechapel, Middlesex, England

Name: Ann Jacobs
    Estimated birth year: 1801
    Relation: Wife
    Where born: Portsmouth, Hampshire, England

Name: Isabella Jacobs Cap Maker
    Estimated birth year: 1838
    Relation: Daughter
    Where born: Aldgate, Middlesex, England

Name: Rosetta Jacobs Cap Maker
    Estimated birth year: 1842
    Relation: Daughter
    Where born: Aldgate, Middlesex, England

Hi Phillip, I think our post are crossing. Yes, this is the family I'm hoping is that of the right Isabella. And yes, I screwed up, but don't see how to edit the original post. It should be LEVENSTON.
    I was going to add that information about Eleazer Jacob's two wives. All the children would be Sarah Maria's. The relationships between the JACOB and LAZARUS families get tangled as there is a cross-generational marriage. I don't see how to start a new thread, so I'll try post here. I have worked out a lot of information, but not sure I can put it all up, but it ties in with families in Exeter.

A man whose name appears in several Great Synagogue record transcriptions (synagoguescribes.com)in variations of Yosefa, Yespe etc of Worms had two known children, Eleazer (Lezer) LAZARUS and Betsy (Breindla) LAZARUS.

Eleazer LAZARUS married
    1. 8 Sept 1802 Family Name COHEN
    Forenames Maria
    Hebrew Name Merle
    Father’s Hebrew Name Jacob Aharon KZ

Family Name LAZARUS
    Forenames Eleazer
    Hebrew Name Eliezer Lezer
    Father’s Hebrew Name Yozefa Worms

2. Reference GSM 093/24
    Date 1805 [20 Mar]
    Family Name LAZARUS
    Forenames Eleazer
    Hebrew Name Lezer
    Father’s Hebrew Name Yespe (or Yesfe, Jezfe) from Worms

Family Name BARNET
    Forenames Elizabeth
    Hebrew Name Lea Lepet
    [no father's name]

Betsy LAZARUS married Elias JACOB:
    Reference GSM 033/6
    Date 1796 [7 Dec]
    Family Name LAZARUS
    Forenames Betsy
    Hebrew Name Breindla
    Father’s Hebrew Name Yespe (or Yesfe, Jezfe) from Worms

Spouse JACOB Elias
    Hebrew Name Eli
    Father’s Hebrew Name Meir pencil-maker

The children and spouses of Eleazer LAZARUS and Elizabeth BARNETT:

1. Sarah Maria (Sarah Merle)(c.1803-?) married Eleazer JACOBS
    Reference: GSM 248/46 1827 [18 Sep]
    Family Name LAZARUS
    Forenames Sarah Maria
    Hebrew Name Sarah Merla (Dau. of a Privd Member)
    Father’s Hebrew Name Eliazer

Family Name JACOBS
    Forenames Eleazer
    Hebrew Name Eliazer
    Father’s Hebrew Name Eliahu

2. Martha (Mata) (c.1807-?) married John JACOBS
    Family Name LAZARUS
    Forenames Martha
    Hebrew Name Mata (Dau. of a Privd Member)
    Father’s Hebrew Name Eliazer

Family Name JACOBS
    Forenames John
    Hebrew Name Jacob
    Father’s Hebrew Name Eliahu

NOTE: Sarah and Mata (above) married two brothers, their cousins by their aunt Betsy JACOBS nee LAZARUS.

3. Isabella (c.1810-1867) married Nathan DeFries
    Reference GSM 276/46 1831 [3 Aug]
    Family Name LAZARUS
    Forenames Isabella
    Hebrew Name Brendela (Dau. of a Privd Member)
    Father’s Hebrew Name Eliezer Laze

Family Name De FRIES
    Forenames Nathan
    Hebrew Name Nathan
    Father’s Hebrew Name Gedalia

4. Esther (c.1810-?) married Phillip PHILLIPS (1851 England census Class: HO107; Piece: 1526; Folio: 10; Page: 13; GSU roll: 174756)
    Esther's sister Julia (identified as 'relative') is with them.

5. unnamed child buried 1813
    Reference BSGSBUR 276/2053
    Family Name [LAZARUS]
    Forenames NR (Child)
    Event Burial
    Date 1813 [26 Nov]
    Address Shadwell
    Father’s Hebrew Name: Lezer b. Yozepha WORMS

6. Julia Birth date varies from c.1815 to c.1835; c.1815 seems the most likely. Julia never married. She is with her sister Esther in 1851 and her mother in 1861. In 1871 she is with Joseph and Jane PHILLIPS, children of her sister Esther, and a Fanny JACOBS I haven't identified. In 1881 she is again with Joseph Phillips and Fanny JACOBS (identified as niece), and is still with Joseph PHILLIPS in 1891. She died 13 Oct 1891. Probate 10 Feb 1892.

7. Joseph c.1815 - 1873
    Joseph married Caroline DAVIS, daughter of Morris DAVIS of Exeter and London:
    <Aug. 22, at the residence of her father, J. Lazarus, Esq., of London, to Caroline, second daughter Mr.
    M. Davis, of 173, Fore-street, Exeter.> Western Times - Saturday 25 August 1849
    The marriage is also recorded in the Exeter Congregation marriage records.

In 1854, Joseph LAZARUS, living in London, was elected Deputy for Exeter to the Board of Deputies. This was at a time when the Lazarus family in Exeter (my own kin) were still very active as officers for the Exeter Congregation and took part in the election of Joseph (I recall that there was dissent about this choice). I had thought for years that there must be a connection between the two Lazarus families, this one in London and that in Exeter, but I can find none. There were, however, further close ties with the DAVIS family. (Curiously, given that Joseph and most of his many siblings married, I haven't found a marriage for any one of his own eleven children.)

8. Benjamin c.1821-1857 died Australia
    Married Priscilla DAVIS, daughter of Morris DAVIS and sister of Joseph's wife, Caroline.
    Marriage Cert:
    20th August 1857 Benjamin Lazarus; full age; Bachelor; Tailor; of No 26 Colet Place; father- Eleazer Lazarus deceased.
    Priscilla Davis;full age; Spinster; of 173 Fore St Exeter;father - Morris Davis Hardware Dealer

Marr 30.8.1851 at 21 Colet Place St Georges in the East (According to Rites of Jewish Religion by N. Adler Dr. Chief Rabbi Simeon Oppenheim Sec of the Gt Synagogue Duke Place
    Wits - Simon [Agchen]( - see England, Andrews Newspaper Index Cards, 1790-1976 for Benjamin Lazarus Marriage L - Ancestry.ca) (Ancestry.com England, Andrews Newspaper Index Cards, 1790-1976)

On the 17th instant, at the Synagogue, York-street, by the Rev. A. B. Davis, ARTHUR, second son of the late B.A.SIMMONSs of Penzance, Cornwall, to Priscilla, widow of the late BENJAMIN LAZARUS, and daughter of MORRIS DAVIS of LONDON.
    Australia, Newspaper Vital Notices, 1831-2001 for Priscilla Lazarus
    The Sydney Morning Herald 1867 Feb 21 - Jul 17

Name: Arthur Barnett Simmons
    Spouse Name: Priscilla Lazarus
    Marriage Date: 1867
    Marriage Place: New South Wales
    Registration Place: Sydney, New South Wales
    Registration Year: 1867
    Registration Number: 271
    Ancestry.com. Australia, Marriage Index, 1788-1950 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010.

9. Rebecca c.1821 -- died Glasgow, Scotland 30 Jan 1875
    Married 1851 Samuel LEVENSTON, son Michael LEVENSTON and Sarah JOSEPH. Samuel was a physician in Glasgow. There are items about the LEVENSTON family on the internet. (The identity of the Lazarus women the Levenston men married seems to have been unknown, or at least rather vague. I only knew of them because I came at from researching the women.)

10. Francis Matilda c.1823-1888
    Married Edward/Eleazer DAVIS, brother of Francis's sisters-in-law Caroline and Priscilla.
    On Tuesday, 6th instant, at 3, Richmond-terrace, Domain, by the Rev. Jacob Isaacs, Mr. E. M. Davis, son of Mr. M. Davis, late of Exeter, England, to Frances Matilda, youngest daughter of the late Eleazar Lazarus, of London. (from The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954) Tue 13 May 1856 Page 1 Family Notices
    accessed through the Australian government Trove website. )

11.Sarah c.1822-? Seems to have married Moses MYERS (MIERS) in 1843, but there isn't a synagogue record of the marriage. The marriage is in FreeBMD and subsequent census records support this.

12. Adelaide c.1825-1852 Never married.

13.Rachael c.1826-? Married Maurice JEWELL
    reference GSMa 061/16 1846 [2 Dec]
    Family Name LAZARUS
    Forenames Rachel
    Hebrew Name Rachel (Dau. of a Privd Member)
    Father’s Hebrew Name Eliezer

Family Name JEWELL
    Forenames Maurice
    Hebrew Name Meir
    Father’s Hebrew Name Moshe

Those are the children of Eleazer LAZARUS.
    I think his granddaughter/great-niece Isabella (daughter of his daughter Sarah Maria and his sister's son John) is the Isabella JACOBS who married Henry LEVENSTON, brother of Eleazer LAZARUS son-in-law Samuel. LEVENSTON.

Eve
    I have had trouble with surname spellings myself.
    Here is a potential important clue to who Isabella Levenston nee Jacobs is related to.
    In the 1881 Scotland Census (Copyright Scotland Archives) ED 13 5 4 Glasgow Gorbals
    37 Eglinton Street Gorbals Glasgow
    Henry LEVENSTON 44 Musician b London
    Isabella 43 b London
    Minnie 14 b Lnark Glasgow
    Lena 12 b London
    Lizzie 8 b Glasgow Lanark
    Nora 2 b Glasgow Lanark
    SARAH JACOBS sister 30 b London

This Sarah Jacobs sister of Isabella was born c 1851 in London. Do you have any earlier data on her?

Do you have access to Ancestry.Co or are your earlier posts based on previous data. I don't want to duplicate what you already have.

Default Isabella LEVENSTON and Sarah JACOBS

Hi Phillip,

Yes, I have Ancestry.ca.

Sarah JACOBS was with Henry and Isabella LEVENSTON's family for the previous census (1871) also, described as sister-in-law, and in 1891 as "relative". Isabella Jacobs, daughter of Eleazer Jacobs and Sarah Maria nee Lazarus had no sister Sarah as far as census records show. In any case, it would have been unusual for a daughter to have the same name as her mother.

I may have looked for JACOBS families with daughters Isabella and Sarah (it's a logical thing to do), but I can't remember now. The only thing I have come up with is that Sarah was not Isabella's sister, but rather the daughter Sarah of John JACOBS and Martha LAZARUS (see the LAZARUS family info above). But they'd be first cousins: their fathers were JACOBS brothers John and Eleazer, and their mothers were LAZARUS sisters, Martha and Sarah Maria (see Lazarus info above).

I don't know why, if this is the right Sarah, she'd be identified as sister rather than cousin in the censuses.

Sarah, daughter of John Jacobs and Martha Lazarus does seem to disappear from the England censuses after 1861, so showing up in Scotland in 1871 is a fit. But her brothers and sisters also disappear, so this is quite inconclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Eve
    I have had trouble with surname spellings myself.
    Here is a potential important clue to who Isabella Levenston nee Jacobs is related to.
    In the 1881 Scotland Census (Copyright Scotland Archives) ED 13 5 4 Glasgow Gorbals
    37 Eglinton Street Gorbals Glasgow
    Henry LEVENSTON 44 Musician b London
    Isabella 43 b London
    Minnie 14 b Lnark Glasgow
    Lena 12 b London
    Lizzie 8 b Glasgow Lanark
    Nora 2 b Glasgow Lanark
    SARAH JACOBS sister 30 b London

This Sarah Jacobs sister of Isabella was born c 1851 in London. Do you have any earlier data on her?

Do you have access to Ancestry.Co or are your earlier posts based on previous data. I don't want to duplicate what you already have.