Loves to help with queries

Default Supporting docs from passport application?

Hi there,

I have a passport and a passport application form for my great-grandfather, I'm wondering if it's possible to get the supporting documents given in application for the passports? If so, where would I have to apply to obtain them?

Kind regards,

Karl

Brick wall demolition expert!

Not that I am aware of. You could try the National Archives site to see if they have any information.

Knowledgeable and helpful

You haven’t said exactly when the passport was issued, or whether it was a British passport, but since it was for your gt grandfather, I am assuming something like the 1920s. I worked in that area of business in the 1970s and at that time the normal practice was to return the original documents to the applicant when the passport was issued. The file would just note what documents had been produced. The files were normally kept for 11 years and then destroyed. (Sometimes an index card remained but otherwise there was no other paperwork).

My understanding is that prior to 1947, the documentation required to obtain a passport was fairly limited. I don’t think you even had to produce a birth certificate. The information in the application form was generally taken on trust. Seems strange today but that’s my understanding.
    ELWYN

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by Elwyn Soutter View Post
    You haven’t said exactly when the passport was issued, or whether it was a British passport, but since it was for your gt grandfather, I am assuming something like the 1920s. I worked in that area of business in the 1970s and at that time the normal practice was to return the original documents to the applicant when the passport was issued. The file would just note what documents had been produced. The files were normally kept for 11 years and then destroyed. (Sometimes an index card remained but otherwise there was no other paperwork).

My understanding is that prior to 1947, the documentation required to obtain a passport was fairly limited. I don’t think you even had to produce a birth certificate. The information in the application form was generally taken on trust. Seems strange today but that’s my understanding.
    Thank you. That's basically what I thought as well. I know that back in the 80-90s, you just needed to bring some utility bills to open a bank account. Someone suggested getting those records, so I just wondered if that was even possible.

Again, thanks for that!