Starting to feel at home

Default Königsberg, Kaliningrad, great-grandmother

Hello again,

Sorry I'm putting out a few threads for some of the difficult parts of my tree.

I have a great-grandmother who lists her place of birth as Königsberg, in Kaliningrad. I thought this was fascinating, but I found no information beyond her birthday, place, and her fathers name.

Bertha Elizabeth Mill (9th Jan 1879 - 23 Dec 1949) her father was Charles Mill. There is also a photo of her which has the name Cavill between her middle and married name, though I am not sure what that is in relation to.

I would love to find out about her family history, though I understand it would be quite difficult given the location. Any ideas of what I can do?

Kind regards,

Karl

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    There is a tree on ancestry.com in the UK, Foreign and Overseas Registers of British Subjects, 1628-1969 which gives the marriage of Bertha Elizabeth Mill and Walter Peter Inglott in 1908. Part of the RH page is cut off but her father's name appears to be recorded as Carl Mill not Charles and he was deceased at the time of the marriage. Occupation - Clerk.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Karl, not what you are asking for but in case you don't have these records I am posting.

Passenger list leaving UK 9 Oct 1925 on ship Moldavia.

NAME, ..............Last address in UK..Port of Landing, Occupation,........ Age, Country of intended permanent residence
    Walter P inglott, c/o sudan Gov........ Port Sudan....... Government Official, 42... Sudan
    Mrs E B Inglott... Buckingham Gate......Port Sudan.............................46,...Sudan
    Marjorie Inglott...S.W.1................Port Sudan.............................17....Sudan

Mr W P Inglott, .1, Vallis Way Hook, Surrey, Port Said.....Nil.................54....Egypt
    Mrs E B Inglott............Ditto...............Ditto...... .ditto...............56....Egypt
    Above passenger list leaving UK 5 Nov 1937 on ship Orford.

UK 1939 Register, 44 Boundstone Lane, Worthing, Surrey.
    Walter P Inglott, born May 17, 1883, retired (can't read 1st word) Sudan Railway
    Elizabeth B Inglott, Jan 9, 1879

Alma.
    Alma

I have a great-grandmother who lists her place of birth as Königsberg, in Kaliningrad.
    Karl, Does your g.grandmother say Koningsberg KALININGRAD, or just Koningsberg?

I ask as there's a Koningsberg in Jamaica.
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post

I think you were heading in the correct direction. I don't think Kaliningrad is the correct place. I suspect it was assumed she was from Kaliningrad, because that's what comes up first on a google search.

Having just looked at a passport related document, it notes supporting evidence of "Frankfort on main", something I didn't notice before. Having done some digging, I think Konigsburg was a district that existed in Frankfurt, but after WWII, it became part of Poland and is now called Chojna.

During the war it was burned to the ground, so perhaps it may be difficult to find any information.

Here's the document I'm referring to. The bottom half is her part of the form.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by toaster View Post
    Konigsburg was a district that existed in Frankfurt,

Actually, it wasn't in Frankfurt, but in Frankfurt District, in Prussia. That doesn't tie into my theory, because Frankfurt on Main (or am Main) is about 600km away. I can't imagine that Frankfurt am Main had anything to do with it. Koningsberg (Chojna) could still be a possibility though! I wonder why Frankfurt am Main is on the document...

Starting to feel at home

Karl, not what you are asking for but in case you don't have these records I am posting.

Alma.
    Hi Alma, yes I did already have these, but thanks nonetheless!

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    There is a tree on ancestry.com in the UK, Foreign and Overseas Registers of British Subjects, 1628-1969 which gives the marriage of Bertha Elizabeth Mill and Walter Peter Inglott in 1908. Part of the RH page is cut off but her father's name appears to be recorded as Carl Mill not Charles and he was deceased at the time of the marriage. Occupation - Clerk.

Christina
    Hi Christina, yes I have seen his name written as Carl in one instance, and so it could very well be either Carl or Charles.