Default Phillips/ Somers/Spencer Monamolin Co Wexford

Hi all
    I wonder if anyone can help. I am a bit of an amateur but I have been chipping away at my family tree for a while. I have made very good progress on Dad's side - but precious little on my Mum's side. It would be nice to flesh it out a bit more. I started the tree for Mum, but I am failing dismally on that side.
    Looking for the Phillips and Somers Line who were in the area of Monamolin/ Gorey
    On Phillips I have got as far back as Thomas Phillips who was born in about 1866 and Married Mary Somers (born circa 1882)with whom he had six children.
    On the Somers line, her parents were John Somers and Mary Murphy, her paternal grandmother was Catherine Spencer (1839-1912) and her great grandparents were Robert Spencer and Catherine Brien.

Big ask I know but if anyone can help I would be very grateful

Thanks
    Julie

Super Moderator

Was your mom a Sommers and married a Phillips? I can only find Thomas on the 1911 census with Mary and 4 children.

Super Moderator

I have found a marriage in 1901 in Gorey, but no spouse name on the site I looked at. Do you have any certificates - marriage or birth? Was Thomas born in Ireland?

I'm sorry, we have nothing.Family lore says Thomas Phillips was born in Ireland and we know he married Mary Somers but his Father, Laurence/ Lawrence Phillips was born in England in the "West Country" and moved to Ireland with his family when he was two-years-old. I have no information on who Lawrence Married or his date of birth or anything.
    No, Mum was not born a Somers. My Grandmother was born (in Wexford) a Phillips but married a Back (in London, the line was the Westwell Backs). So Mum was born a Back. Thanks for your help!

The Gorey 1901 marriage certificate can be viewed on Irish Genealogy.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Super Moderator

What was your grandmother's name? Maybe we can find the marriage. Then we may be able to find something about Laurence/Lawrence.

Was the surname Back or Westwell-Back?

Super Moderator

Do you think that Laurence/Lawrence Phillips is related to your Grandmother through marriage?

Did you grandmother and her husband stay in England, or did they go back to Ireland? When did they marry? Have you found your grandparents on any census returns (assuming their DOB is early enough for them to be on a census)

Was your mother born in England? (Was she Patricia?)

Knowledgeable and helpful

The 1901 marriage certificate gives Mary Somers address as Garrydaniel. There’s just one Mary Somers in that townland in the 1901 census, a widow aged 50. I’d guess she’s related (she appears to be Mary’s mother. Margaret Somers married Patrick Lacey on 22.2.1898 and the marriage cert shows her father to be John Somers, labourer):

https://www.census.nationalarchives....aniel/1795681/

This looks to be Mary and Thomas working together on the same farm in the 1901 Irish census:

https://www.census.nationalarchives....t_of_/1795696/

By the time of the marriage Thomas’s address was Mount Howard which is another nearby townland.
    ELWYN