Thread: hi im curious

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default hi im curious

Hi everyone,

im Stefanie,its my first time researching,and using forums, anywho, no one in my family has ever tried looking and i have always been curious of whom our grandfather is or was, my mum 67 in age and her older brother 70 next May have never met their dad, all they know is that his name is John Charles Perry, which is printed on their birth certificates, and it states that he was a Merchant Navy Seamen, I dont know if it said Manchester or Lancaster or something similar, no birth date or any other information, my mum has never met her mum,in which my mum passed away last year, so my question is were do i start, all i know is that my mothers, mum Frances Dawn Jones lived in New Zealand, when she met John Charles Perry, so i dont know how they met.

So if anyone can point me in the right direction, if it is a start or an end its ok too.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hi Stephanie,

I'm guessing that your mum was born in New Zealand? If so I don't know what it contains, but from reading your post I'm not clear if you have a copy of it, because you seem unclear about where he came from. If you don't have it then you need to get it as that would be your first starting point.

Where your grandparents married? If so you need to try and get a copy of their marriage certificate as that might give you valuable information.

If John Charles Perry was a British merchant seaman it's possible that there might be records for him at the National Archives in London, but you would probably have to employ someone to do the research for you.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...ents-1939-1950

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...t-researchers/

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

hi megan

Thank you for your fast reply, yes you are very right, yes my mum was born in New Zealand, my mums birth certificate does not have her dads details as they are blank, but, her older brother has this information, I only sited his birth cert once, you are right i will get a copy of both birth certs and marriage certificates crossing fingers they were married.

Thank you for giving me a starting point. I will be back in the near future if any other information arises.

This is a bit late, as you have made a couple of posts, but welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

In case you haven’t had rid enough to read our TOC yet, please remember not to post details about anyone unless you are sure that they are dead! Guessing from you mother and uncle’s ages, it’s unlikely that anyone from their parents’ generation are still with us, of course, so it won’t give you a problem.

I checked the Commonwealth War Graves site, and Mr Perry is not there, so he wasn’t among the merchant seamen who died then.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by ephes202 View Post
    my mum has never met her mum,
    Hi, you state your mum never met her mother, was your mother adopted / fostered as a child? Im not sure what the laws are in NZ for adoption records but it could be another angle to check if nothing else can be found.

Hi ephes202
    I f your Mum was adopted and her birth was c1952 then the NZ government site has this to say about adoptions prior to 1986

Vetoes

If you were adopted before 1 March 1986, your birth parents can ask for a veto on your original birth certificate. This means your birth certificate won’t show the name of the birth parent that asked for a veto.

If there’s a veto on your birth certificate, you can talk to an adoption social worker. They can check if there’s a letter of explanation about the veto, or if any other information is available.

https://www.govt.nz/browse/family-an...birth-parents/

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you to all that replied.
    Lesley: yes all have passed.thank you for checking the Commonwealth war graves. Dosent make sense, but I do thank you.
    Shippo: new zealand laws were very different back in the days, because my mum was maori she was included into relatives families, which they have also passed.
    christanel: thank you for your info.