Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Devonshire Regiment information

Hi
    I am trying to trace records of my husbands great grandfather. The family name is Harris and William George Harris was in the Devonshire Regiment. It appears that he was in Jullunder, Bengal, India in 1898 because that is where my husbands grandfather was born in 1898 - his name was William Harris and he too later joined the Devonshire Regiment and was stationed in Quetta, India ( he used to play Hockey and won several medals). We have a couple of war medals showing the following numbers 5608373SJT (WHARRIS DevonR), 25009PTE(WHARRIS DevonR). I think they belonged to my husbands grandfather. I subscribed to forces war records last year but was unable to find out much more information. Is it possible to contact the Devonshire Regiment and view records? How would I go about obtaining copy birth certificates etc?
    Not sure where to go next! Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance. Tracy x

A very warm welcome to Brit-gen.

William's baptism/birth registration (and siblings) can be viewed on line at FindMyPast (British India Office Births & Baptisms)
    Bap - 31 July 1898, Born - 26 June 1898, William, son of William George and Catherine Harris, place - Jullunder, father - Private 1st Devon Regt.

There are 3 other births - May, born 4 Feb 1895; Fred - born 26 Jun 1893; Harry - born 26 Dec 1896

The 28th Jan 1888 marriage certificate of a William George Harris, "soldier" and a Catherine Pott, place Ramsgate, can be viewed on line at FindMyPast. The certificate does not identify William George's regt. but this looks a good candidate for "your" William George. I need to check the whereabouts of the 1st Devon regt. at this time.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

There is a letter dated "Aldershot, 4th April 1888" from an "E Denly, Colour - Sergeant, 1st Devon Regiment" in several newspapers in 1888.
    Placing the regiment in Aldershot in early 1888 ties in with the groom's residence on the Jan 28th 1888 marriage certificate.

I cannot disclose details from the 1911 Census (terms/conditions) but if you search for May Harris, born 1895, place of birth India it should return 1 hit.
    May is with her parents and one brother - born 1898!.

Mother's place of birth ties in very neatly with residence of bride on the 1888 marriage cert.

Using place of birth (which is very specific) of William George Harris from 1911 Census -

1861 Census (ref - RG09 1490 62 1)
    Address - Little Comfort, Killington, Martinhoe

William Harris, Head, Marr, 80, Agricultural Labourer, born Loxhore?, Blind
    Mary Harris, Wife, Marr, 27, born Porlock
    Charlotte Harris, Dau, Unmarr, 27, born Martinhoe
    Francis Harris, Son, Unmarr, 22, Agricultural Labourer, born Martinhoe
    Frederick Harris, Son, Unm, 12, born Martinhoe
    Jane Harris, Granddaughter, 5, born Martinhoe
    William George Harris, Grandson, 3, born Martinhoe
    Elen Harris, Granddaughter, 0, born Martinhoe
    John Harris, Grandson, 1, born Martinhoe
    Joseph Harris, Grandson, 0, born Martinhoe

Martinhoe falls under the Barnstaple registration district. The General Register Office has the birth registration of -

William George Harris, March Qtr 1858, Barnstaple, vol 58, page 456 - mother's maiden name not recorded.

FindMyPast has the baptism (image/transcription) of -

Bap 28 Mar 1858, William George, son of Charlotte Harris,single woman, residence Little Comfort, Martinhoe.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Martinhoe falls under the Barnstaple registration district. The General Register Office has the birth registration of -

William George Harris, March Qtr 1858, Barnstaple, vol 58, page 456 - mother's maiden name not recorded.

FindMyPast has the baptism (image/transcription) of -

Bap 28 Mar 1858, William George, son of Charlotte Harris,single woman, residence Little Comfort, Martinhoe.
    Many many thanks. You have uncovered so much additional information. I am only a novice with this genealogy and it can all get very daunting. I did my initial research with ancestry but find my past seems to have more information. Is that right? thanks again for all your help x

It's not a matter of one having "more information" than another. This site is peppered with posts asking "Which is the better/best to join?".
    Genealogy sites enjoy information common to each and information that is unique to each. Also, access to information may depend on the level of subscription taken out. The ideal, perhaps, would be to be a member of several/all sites - but not all of us have a bottomless purse.

I opted for the site I use because, 5 minutes walk away, is a library with access to other sites. This was
    important when I started off my family search some years ago - not so important today. Have you checked what genealogy sites are available at your local library/archives?

Have you tried FamilySearch? A quick check and I can see the 4 baptisms in India (transcriptions only) and the 1911 Census (transcription)

Appreciate your finding it "daunting" - we've all been there - and good luck with the search.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    It's not a matter of one having "more information" than another. This site is peppered with posts asking "Which is the better/best to join?".
    Genealogy sites enjoy information common to each and information that is unique to each. Also, access to information may depend on the level of subscription taken out. The ideal, perhaps, would be to be a member of several/all sites - but not all of us have a bottomless purse.

I opted for the site I use because, 5 minutes walk away, is a library with access to other sites. This was
    important when I started off my family search some years ago - not so important today. Have you checked what genealogy sites are available at your local library/archives?

Have you tried FamilySearch? A quick check and I can see the 4 baptisms in India (transcriptions only) and the 1911 Census (transcription)

Appreciate your finding it "daunting" - we've all been there - and good luck with the search.
    Thanks for the advice

Reputation beyond repute

Have you checked what genealogy sites are available at your local library/archives?
    I'm in Kent and can confirm that Kent Libraries offer free access to Ancestry, Findmypast and British Newspaper Archive. Use one of their terminals or take your laptop.

Many of the questions you asked or implied can be answered by a quick visit to the National Archives website.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Click "Help with your research" for a wealth of information and advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast