Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lynnmar

Default Lynnmar

Hi
    My name is Lynn and I live in South Africa, I am new to this and am trying to pickup where my late daughter left off. I am trying to find where my father's grandparents where from the only thing that I know is that they lived in Jarrow, Monkton and Hedworth before going to India, On the 1881 Census it states that they are Irish but thats all, no mention of that being Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland. They went to India and my great grandmother died and was buried there. I have no idea how and where to even start as I do not even know her maiden name, the only information I have is that their names were Thomas Francis and Rose Ann Milligan.

Super Moderator

Northern Ireland only came into existence in 1921 so Ireland was just Ireland in 1881.
    On the census his eldest daughter was born abt.1872 in Jarrow but I cannot find any trace of Thomas Milligan on the 1871 census. Family Search has an entry for 1871 census: Jarrow - Thomas Millighan age 23 born Ireland. Occupation Furnace Man. Rosann Millighan, age 23 born Ireland. Daniel Fitzpatrick, age 24, Boarder

Super Moderator

By the way Elena (shown on the 1881 census) was registered as Ellen Lena

Super Moderator

There is small tree on Ancestry that shown Francis Thomas Milligan born about 1850 Ireland, but there isn't any information and I am not sure it is your Thomas. However:

Baptism of Thomas Milligan 28/02/1849 Donaghmore, Donegal. Father Thoma Milligan. Mother Allicid Murphy
    Baptism of Thomas Milligan 12/08/1851 St.Patrick's Belfast City, Antrim. Father Hugh Milligan, Mother Margt O'Neill.

Found another tree.Rosannae Macconnell Milligan born 1843 Armagh, Ireland.Died 24 May 1907 Bengal. One of the daughters, Elizabeth Ann. born 1872, married Julian Godfrey Rust in 1903. Her son Cecil Rust took her to Sri Lanka from S. Africa when she was widowed. She died in Sri Lank in 1958.

This probably isn't helping much!

Famous for offering help & advice

Checking the girls births on the GRO gives MMN - McConnell

On the contrary your information has been most helpfull, I am almost sure that is my Rose Ann,Mary Jane was the oldest daughter, Elizabeth was my dad's aunt and so was Elena,Frances I have no info on her at all other than her name, my grandmother was Cecilia Theresa and she was born in Gateshead I think, my dad said she was born in Ireland but I think only the older sisters were. I do know that Rose Ann ( not actually sure of the correct spelling) died in Bankipur Bengal in 1907 a few years before my dad was born. I cannot find any mention of Thomas's place of death. I am thrilled that I possibly got a maiden name for her. Thank you so much

Super Moderator

Cecilia's birth registration is in South Shields - 1879 4Q 10A 697. So she was possibly born sometime during Oct - Dec 1879.

There is a marriage in Newcastle upon Tyne registration district in Q3 of 1870 that might be them.

Thomas Mulligan & (same page) Rosanna Connell - Volume 10b, page 225

If this is the correct couple then the certificate should give both parents.

A few baptisms:

At St. Aloysius, Hebburn (recorded on transcription as Northumberland)

1872 Elizabetha d/o Thomae Milligan & Rosannae Macconnell Milligan
    1874 Rosanna d/o Thomae Melligan & Rosannae McConnell Melligan
    1876 Helen d/o Thomae Milligan & Rosannae McConnell Milligan

At Jarrow:
    9 Nov 1879 Cecilia d/o Thoma Milligan & Rosanna McConnor Milligan

Gateshead, Jarrow, Hebburn etc are just across the river from Newcastle, so that marriage definitely seems worth a look - in my experience Irish names were often mangled on certificates!

Thank you all so much for you kind assistance I am really excited about this site, I will definitely see if I can find more info on the family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast