Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Default ISRAEL LEVIEN SALOMONS-HESTER PRAGER

Hi Amanda
    Here is the new thread on the Salomons/Prager/Goldsmid relations. For other researchers see the current posts on the lines as per the thread J Lyons and Co-Salmon/Gluckstein lines.
    I will post further on the new thread.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

As an initial start here is data on Israel Levin Salomons c1731-1788 who married his niece Hester.
    See Synagogue Scribes Will Extracts NA2043 Israel Levin Salomons 1788 in which he names his wife, children and siblings. See also NA 418 Lyon Prager 1795 Father Jacob Levien Salomons and siblings including Hester widow of Israel Levien Salomons (Lyon's uncle). NA1273 Jessica Goldsmid 1837 widow of Benjamin Goldsmid who died in 1808 - her nephew is Edward King Elliott.

See Cemetery Scribes ID 17622 Jessy Salomons( married name Goldsmid) 1767-1836 (Fradke b Yehiel Prager).

In the early 1950s Albert Hyamson wrote about the Goldschmidt/Goldsmid family with specific reference to Abraham and Benjamin Goldsmid the two brothers. Hyamson also recorded a family tree of the lines- see An Anglo Jewish Family. Albert M Hyamson -Transactions (Jewish Historical Society of England) Vol 17 (1951-52) Pp1-100 Jewish Historical Society of England- see JSTOR online access to publications via registration with 6 initial reads free but subscription cost for further readings.

I will post further.

This is the Church of England Marriage of Louisa Salomons to George Elliot in 1795- taken from the original banns and marriage record:
    London, Church of England Marriages
    Marriage 3 January 1795
    St Mary Islington London
    George Elliot bachelor
    Louisa Salamons spinster Witnesses- John POWELL; Sarah Ann DIMOCKE

Nb When Benjamin Goldsmid died in 1808 his wife Jessy had the children baptised and there are records of this.

The move by a number of Jews during this period to become Christian was not common but did occur for a variety of reasons including wanting to fit in with the country they had settled in, business reasons, coercion,wanting children to prosper, wanting to marry a non Jew and many others.

Starting to feel at home

Hi Phillip, thank you for this.
    As requested I read your research with Jen; very interesting and what a marathon! I really hope that as time goes on the evidence emerges to solve that brick wall.
    As for my query regarding the Salamons/Preger line and hopefully their connection to my Elliot and Ashburner families, perhaps it would help if I gave some family background? Here goes.
    Through my maternal grandmother my line goes as follows:
    1) My Grandmother Evelyn Katherine Fenton 1905-1995 m. Lt Col William Edward Duncan Wilkinson (born Bailey). She was born and married in India, died in England.
    2) Her father was Lt. Col Lionel Schofield Fenton 1881-1960 born and married in India, died in England. He married Katherine Clara Hollway.
    3) His father was Lt.Col Layard Livingstone Fenton 1849-1921 born in India died in England. He married Katherine Isabella Ashburner 1853-1891. She was born in India and also died in India.
    4) Katherine Ashburner's father was Maj.Gen George Elliot Ashburner abt 1821-1907. He was born in India died in England. He married (I think) Isabella Gordon Lindsay.
    5) His father was William Page Ashburner 1791-1862. He was Mayor of Bombay and a partner in Forbes & co. He married Hester Maria Elliot 1798-1838 she was born in Blackheath England and died in Tasmania.
    6) Hester’s Parents were I think George Elliot 1774-1841 and Louisa Salomons Preger 1777-1811.
    7) Louisa’s parents were Israel Yehiel Levin Salomons and Hester Jacob Levie Preger
    Is the above correct ?

PS As I was about to post this I saw your replies above so I will now read those thank you :-)
    Last edited by AmandaR; 29-10-2019 at 2:57 PM. Reason: to clarify

Super Moderator

I have been researching the Levien family for a friend. Mary Goldsmid (Abraham's daughter) married John Joachim Levien in 1817. They had 8 children (that I know of) Two of them having the middle name of Goldsmid.

Thank you Sue.The Levien and related families are very interesting.
    Amanda- here is the baptism for Hester Maria Elliot- St Luke Finsbury born 12 April Baptised May 1797 parents George and Louisa Elliot South Street

Death-12 Oct 1811 London Death age 33 b 1778 spouse George Elliot burial 18 Oct 1811 Middlesex.

One Ancestry.Co family tree has 8 children for Louisa and George-Hester Maria 1797-1838;Louisa 1798-;Benjamin Goldsmid 1799-1824;George Augusta 1801-1801;Harriet Frances 1802-1863;Caroline1803-;Jesse Sarah 1805-;George Augustus 1810-. I have yet to confirm the names/dob.
    The same tree has George Elliot death 7 Feb 1841 Ripley Derbyshire but this needs confirmation.

Starting to feel at home

Hi again Phillip
    Thanks very much for your input, do you have a link to the Synagogue Scribes Will Extracts? I put it into Google but I couldn’t get the correct record. I’m probably being dim! I think I might’ve seen the first one on Ancestry.com and noted that with interest at the time. I would like to see the Lyon Preger one and its interesting then that Israel Levin Salomons married his niece, mind you all over my tree so many married their cousins or other family members that the Ancestry algorithm has given up trying to work out their relationships!
    I had already put Benjamin Goldsmid on my tree hoping that I had got the correct George Elliot marriage to Louisa Salomons. I have been a bit thrown as I am not sure if that George Elliot married twice ie also to an Elizabeth Wildsmith.

If you type Synagogue Scribes on Google you will see the main website with the sections on Will extracts plus births, marriages, deaths Gt Synagogue and a wide number of other data bases plus a blog. The site was set up by Angela Shire and Gaby Laws as was their Cemetery Scribes website. I have had ongoing correspondence with Angela and Gaby over many years and you can see see some of my work on their Blogs. Unfortunately, Angela died this year. The sites are excellent sources of Anglo Jewish records on thousands of individuals and families.
    I will look at other sources and post relevant data.

Starting to feel at home

Hi again, I think the George Elliot who was buried in Derbyshire married Elizabeth Wildsmith as there is a grave there on Ancestry.com with both their names on, but did he also marry Louisa Salomons or is he a completely different George Elliot(t)?

I think more research is needed in the George Elliot/Louis Salomons lines to confirm accuracy of data. In the meantime, see on JewishGen( free to join but you need to register)under the UK Data bases and then Family trees records on Israel Levin Salomons- the family trees are dated and some are almost 20 years old but they give a useful family overview. See on the data base-Jewish Surnames in London Registered Insurance Policies -Israel Levin Salomons Merchant St Mary Axe 16.01.1768;then 30 Throckmorton Street 9.12.1769-20.1.1774 and London traders 20 Budge Row EC Lowndes 1781;Sun1769-1775 30 Throgmorton Street.

I will look further.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast