Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Starting to feel at home

Regarding the birth date of George Elliot, for now I just have him as b before 1778 but that is a guess.
    I currently have some enforced time off work as I have broken my ankle (not a serious injury, but it’s taking time to heal) so I am planning to investigate the possibility of him and his sister Mary being the children of a Robert Elliot.
    I will also be trying to find out more about the son Benjamin Goldsmid Elliot and the Batavia connection.

Also, I have found an article written in the 1960s which I wonder if you have seen? It has a lot of info about Lyon Prager in India, also Hester Jacob Prager and talks about some of her sons, including Mark Prager who went out to India to be coached in business by his uncle Lyon. Mark gave a detailed account of his uncle’s sudden death as he was a witness to it. It quotes some personal correspondence between Israel and Lyon and Hester plus others, which is from the documents held by the National Archives in London. It gives a very human impression of Lyon Prager who appears to have been a sharp and successful businessman but also very well liked and respected by the business community and family. It also gives a very short but alas not detailed account of George Elliot (the author spells it Elliott), who likewise appears to have been an honourable and respected person. It completely overlooks the marriage out of the Jewish community of Louisa.

I will post the name and author of the article here when I find it.

Interestingly the author makes a reference to as yet unpublished at the time work of Yogalia Gedev who went on to write the Diamonds and Coral book about the Salomons/Prager trading house.

Starting to feel at home

The article is “The Activities of a Jewish Merchant House in Bengal (1786-1798): A Contribution to the History of London Jews in India” by Walter J. Fischel. 1964
    If allowed on here I can post a link?

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314