Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Thank you Phillip, I have just now been trying to read the letters on Findmypast- the writing is very difficult to read so I will try again tomorrow after my eyes have had a rest.
    That’s fascinating that his employers asked for leniency. Coutts by the way was another branch of my family.

Boo to the Judge for refusing leniency!

So, I wonder about the family in Canada then, who perhaps had fallen on hard times. I note that a newspaper article about John James Levien’s forgery, attempted suicide and sentencing had commented that his family were respectable but not wealthy.

Interesting that his father mentions he has moved to Australia- the jigsaw pieces all beginning to fit together.

I also see on some of the records on the same page as JJ Levien other people who committed similar crimes were handed the death sentence so maybe the Judge thought he was being lenient enough. Very harsh.

Starting to feel at home

On Ancestry.com I found an unassisted passenger list which has John Levien, another Mr John Levien, Mrs Levien and a Mrs Saunders, with 2 children arriving in Port Jackson New South Wales on 7th January 1856. They appear to have been travelling steerage if I have read it right.

So if that’s the same Levien family they eventually left Van Diemen’s Land and perhaps joined the extended family in New South Wales. I do hope it all ended happily for them.

There is a Sydney Morning Herald newspaper death notice for John Levien aged 62 Dec 27th 1877, Sydney.

There was no family in Canada but John James Levien had intended to use the £200 to send his parents/siblings to Canada where there were Jewish settlements. Instead, his parents/siblings went to NSW. John James settled in Port Phillip Victoria and played a key role in founding the Melbourne Synagogue.

If you look on the BG Forum under Eliakim Gotchalk Levien aka Gotchal aka Gottschalk-Jamaica lineage started 28.2.2013 you can see posts from a descendant of the line.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

#113- the Eliakim Gotchalk Levien posts are on Familytree Forum not BG

This is the burial record for Abigail the wife of Gotchal Levien-A record of the Jews in Jamaica.Jacob Andrade Pub 1941 (0nline) Appendix L -Beth Chayim White Church Street Spanish Town Jamaica
    35. "Here lieth the body of a virtous woman, a tender mother and loving wife,Abigail Levien, wife of Gotchal Levien died 7th May 1778.Aged 30 years" Inscription in Hebrew at the head above in a circle.

See Cemetery Scribes ID 16597 for Gotchal Levien with entries for his 2 wives- Abigail 1748-1778 and Miriam Proops

Nb There is a Church of England Marriage Banns between Gotchal Levien and Elizabeth Hall St.Mary Islington 25 May 1788

See Synagogue Scribes NA 781 for the probate of Gotchal Sr Levien with his 2nd wife and names of children and other relatives.

The following data identifies the relationship between Meyer Cohen c1760- date of death to be confirmed and Rachel Levien daughter of Gotchal Sr Levien. The data also confirms Francis Ephraim Cohen their only son who changed his surname to PALGRAVE and became Sir Francis Palgrave 1788-1861.

Meyer Cohen, Green Street Kentish Town was a member of the Stock Exchange as was Gotchal Levien Sr.
    Francis Ephraim Cohen was articled to a solicitor in February 1805 ( see UK Articles of Clerkship - one of the witnesses was Solomon Levien.

Prior to his marriage Francis Ephraim Cohen converted to Christianity. He also changed his surname to Palgrave. This choice of surname was taken from his wife's mother maiden name. He married Elizabeth Turner daughter of Dawson Turner who paid £3000 a Royal Licence of name change 13 Oct 1823.

There is a range of online data on Sir Francis Palgrave.

See also Patent of Naturalisation of Jews with Distinctly German Surnames who were granted Patents of Naturalisation in the 18th and 19th Centuries- Gotchal Levien 28 June 1766.

Starting to feel at home

Many apologies for my absence, I have had a period of sickness and it has got very busy at work in the run up to Christmas. I will be back to researching my Jewish roots hopefully with renewed vigour after Christmas!

Amanda
    I am sorry to read about your sickness and hope that you are better.Let me know if you need to share further research in the New Year. I am going to be very busy next week with family and friends leading up to the New Year so won't be posting on the forum.
    My best wishes to you and your family for Christmas and the New Year.

Starting to feel at home

Hi again Phillip, finally I have a bit more time to concentrate on my family tree and am reading back on all your notes on here. I hope you’re well, and I really appreciate your research!

Hi Amanda
    Good to hear from you. Post any queries and I will see if I can help.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast