Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Louisa Elliot nee Salomons- her burial record (I posted the details on an earlier post) says she died of 'childbed' age 33. I suspect her son George Augustus maybe buried either close by or in the same vault but this needs confirming if possible.
    I need to read the archaelogical paper again. I thought all the bodies were dug up and then re-interred.

The naming of a child with the same name as their dead sibling is not uncommon and I have this in my lines.

I may have found information on George Elliot Captain but I am aware that there were other Elliot who served in the Royal Navy and became senior officers.

It was also common in Jewish families for a son or daughter to use the first name of a dead parent as their middle name- again I have this in numbers of my lines. In addition, the Ashkenazi naming tradition of dead grandparents is well documented. My lines have this tradition and similarly the Sephardic tradition is to name individuals using living relatives.

Nb I am considering writing a Blog on Louisa Salomons for Synagogue Scribes if Gaby Laws accepts it.Angela and Gaby have posted my research on their cemetery scribes and synagogue scribes blogs before.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Currently, I can't locate the baptism of Edward King Elliot b 1811. Based on the record of the death of Louisa Elliot nee Salomons his mother in 1811 I take it that Edward's birth was the cause of her death.
    Jesse Goldsmid only named Elliot in her will as a minor. None of the other Elliot were named and I wonder why.

Amanda
    When you have the time could you please help me to confirm whether or not Louisa Elliot's body was exhumed based on the archaelogical report. In the report they stated..Summary. "..1053 burials recorded and removed...712 coffins were recorded and removed for re-burial."

Then.."Appendix 1 is a detailed catalogue of all skeletons, coffins , fittings and vaults that were excavated and recorded"

I take the first statement regarding the 1053 burials recorded and removed as including Louisa because she is recorded as Skeleton 773.

How do you read the references?

When Jesse Goldsmid left a bequest for £50 to her nephew Edward King Elliot she wrote the will 18 July 1816 and it was proved in 1837. No mention was made regarding any of Edward's siblings nor to his father. His mother Louisa had died in 1811. By 1837 the records indicate that George Elliot was dead as was his wife. In addition, their son Benjamin Goldsmid Elliot had died in 1824 age 25.
    Hester Maria Elliot was alive but it is unclear what happened to the other children Louisa b 1798;Caroline b 1803.One Ancestry Co family tree has Louisa marrying Robert Locke in India in 1815.
    Further research is needed to confirm what happened to the remaining children.

The census and probate records for Louisa Locke nee Elliot and her sister Georgiana King Don nee Elliot confirm they are the daughters of George Elliot and Louisa Salomons.

1861 Census (Copyright TNA)RG9 8 36 19
    3 Hyde Park Steet Paddington Middlesex
    Robert Locke H M 74 Captain E.I.Compan Service b Middx Stamford Hill
    Louisa wife 60 b City London
    Georgina K DON sister in law widow 51 b Kent Blackheath
    +5 servants

India, Select Marriages 1792-1948
    Louisa Elliot =Robert Locke 17 June 1815 Bombay India

UK Register of Employees of the East India Company and the India Office 1746-1939
    Captain Robert Locke 1861 Embarkation Officer

Probate
    Louisa Locke(wife of Robert Locke Esq) 3 Hyde Park Street Paddington Middx died 21 July 1867-Probate to Robert Locke - Note- Administration of goods unadministered passed to the Principal Registry August 1880 -Effects under £450

The will of Robert Locke late of 6 Hyde Park Street Paddington Middx Esq died 14 Feb 1873 at 6 Hyde Park Street Proved by Samuel Lancaster St.Peter's Chambers Cornhill City of London and Bonamy Dobree Tokenhouse Yard City of London Merchants the executors. Effects under £25000

Georgian King Don formerly 6 Hyde Park Street Hyde Park afterwards 10 Linden Gardens Bayswater Middx but late of Roehampton Surrey widow died 2 Dec 1880 at The Priory Roehampton. Proved by Richard Charles Lawrence 48 Gloucester Square Middx C.B and Arthur Henry Lancaster St.Peter's Chambers Cornhill City of London Esquire The executors Personal estate re-sworn 1881 under £18000.

Currently, it is unclear if there were any children from the marriages of the two sisters.

Noted-reference to Lt.General Sir Edward Locke Elliot 1850-1938 son of Colonel King Elliot.
    It appears that the families were using middle names of relatives.

The following data relates to Georgiana King Don nee Elliot and William Gilbert Don.
    UK Lunacy Patients Admission Registers 1846-1912
    Georgiana K Don Admission 25 June 1880 Priory, Pembrokeshire Wales Death 2 Dec 1880 (a note added to the admission register..Made Private 5 July 1880

Burial 1880 Chelsea and Kensington

India Select Marriages
    Georgiana King Elliot 22 b 1812 Marriage 8 Feb 1834 Lucknow,Bengal India=William Gilbert Don

India Select Deaths and Burials
    William Gilbert Don 42 b 1810

The following is the memorial inscription for Captain William Gilbert Don...List of Old Inscriptions in Christian Burial Grounds in the Province of Bihar and Orissa. Bihar and Orissa Government Press,1923

Sacred/to the memory of/Captain William Gilbert Don/of the 43rd Regiment/Bengal Light Infantry/Commanding Bhagulpore Hill Rangers/who died at this place/on the /21 January 1852/Aged 43 years "In the midst of life we are/in death"

There is a reference to the death of Lillas daughter of William Don and sister of William Gilbert Don - she died Cawnpore 17 June 1857- See Wikipedia for the Indian Mutiny and the Cawnpore massacre.

Starting to feel at home

From my notes:
    Page 117 of the research paper reads:
    Coffin 773
    coffin material lead (intact) inscription “Mrs Louisa Elliot died 11/10/1811 aged 33 years”. Coffin plate rectangular.
    Osteological age/sex coffin intact (skeleton not analysed). It also gives dimensions.

I think she was in the crypt, which was one of the parts of the church they needed to clear of human remains. Sorry I won’t have time to look further until tomorrow.

Thank you Amanda. I am focusing my research on the children of Louisa Salomons and George Elliot with a specific focus on the Jewish roots. As you know there are numbers of family trees online which have not identified Hester, Louisa or their siblings as having Jewish roots. The burial of Louisa and Hester in Christian cemeteries.
    LINC Tasmania online website has..Headstone photo of Hester Maria Ashburner died 1838 Longford Christchurch Anglican (Pioneer Cemetery)- see also Longford Christchurch Cemetery website which has the inscription for Hester.."In Memory of Hester Maria wife of Wm.Ashburner of Sillwood died March 4 1838"

See-Biographical Register of the Tasmanian Parliament 1825-1980 Scott and Barbara Bennett,House of Assembly, Parliament of Tasmanian 2016- a short part biography on William Page Ashburner P10

Starting to feel at home

Just saw something on Biographical Register of the Tasmanian Parliament 1825-1980, chapter xx page 10.
    “ ASHBURNER, William Page
    Merchant?, farmer. B. 28 Dec? 1791 Bombay, India; s. William, merchant, and Elizabeth nee Cotgrave?; m. (1) 13 July 1815 Bombay, India, Hester Maria Elliott (Elliot?); at least 6s. 3d.; (2) Sept 1845 Lond., Anne Beale; at least 1s. D. 30 March 1862 Brighton, Eng. Ang.
    Merchant with Forbes & Co., Bombay, India?; intended to settle NSW but chose Tas.; arr July 1827 from Eng, with family, granted land near Westbury, ‘Sillwood’; magistrate; granted and purchased additional land, declared insolvent Dec 1843, property offered at auction; to Lond. 1844; ret. Tas. 1846; appears ret. ‘Sillwood’ late 1840s; to Eng. with family Feb. 1854; continued attempts to sell properties through 1850s, possibly ret. Eng. c1860.
    Sec. ctee to build bridge S. Esk R., Westbury Road Trust; JP 1832. VDL Soc.; Churchwarden Westbury, delegate of lay members Carrick 1852; Hort. Soc.; opposed transportation.
    MLC (aptd) Oct 1838-Feb 1844.
    Launceston Examiner, Cornwall Chronicle, Hobart Town Courier, 1827-56.

Edit: sorry just saw that you already mentioned this :-)

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast