Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

I also forgot to say that the records for Edward King Elliot prove the Tasmanian connection as it looks like he married a Jessey Kemp (wonder if that first name is a coincidence or could they also be Jewish?) in Tasmania, and as previously mentioned his aunt Hester Maria Elliot (who married William Page Ashburner) died out there. So I will also share these findings with my Australian 4th cousin, she will love it! :-)

Amanda
    In case we overlooked the George Elliot line - he had a sister Mary Elliot. See the Benjamin Goldsmid Synagogue Scribes Will extract 1808 and the full will. I have read the full will which gives a bequest of £20 to Louisa Elliot wife of George Elliot and sister in law of Benjamin Goldsmid and a sum of £20 to Mary Elliot sister of George. In 1808 the bequest of £20 to Mary Elliot suggests she is unmarried.

This might help track down George Elliot and his lines.
    In addition, Benjamin Goldsmid names his PRAGER relatives including his brother in law George Prager and also Levien and other in laws.

I would look for a George Elliot with sister Mary as a start in family trees and then seek sources which confirm the lines where possible.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Starting to feel at home

*Sorry I mistyped Hester Maria as Edward King Elliot’s aunt when in fact she was his sister.*

Amanda
    #21 -The marriage of Edward King Elliot to Jessy Kemp was not a Jewish one.See The Courier(Hobart)Tasmania Sat 18 April,1846
    "At the Church of St.Mary, Green Ponds on the morning of Thursday the 16th inst. by the Rev.w.Bedford DD,Edward King Elliot Esq of the 43rd Regiment Bengal Light Infantry to Jessy,daughter of Anthony Fenn Kemp Esq of Mount Vernon, Van Diemens Land

The matrilineal line of descent is the orthodox Jewish line and not the father's line so children born to a Jewish mother are considered to be Jews.

By the way, I noted the surname spelling of Elliot with one 't'. In some of the online family trees the father of George Elliot has two 't'. I know that surname spellings could vary significantly for the period but caution is needed in ascribing parents and other in laws without documentary evidence. Currently, there is no evidence to link the Elliot to Derbyshire without proof.The marriage of Louisa Salomons to George Elliot was not Jewish nor was that of Edward King Elliot. Any children of Louisa would be considered to be Jews but it looks as if the Jewish links were weak through later marrying out by individuals.

Another possible important link- I noted on British Newspaper Archives the following article reference ( I do not have subscription and could not see the same reference in the British Newspapers Archive 1800-1900 via my library)...Deceased George Elliot Finsbury Square merchant deceased, Louisa Elliot his wife and Benjamin Goldsmid Elliot gent same place...Perry's Bankruptcy Gazette Sat 31 Dec 1836.
    I can't see the reference in The London Gazette Archives.

The George Goldsmid Elliot is an interesting name and suggests that this is the George Elliot/Louisa Salomons line but more research required.

I also noted in newspaper archives reference to a George Elliot, Calcutta in 1790.

You might want to look at the names closely.

The citation regarding George, Louisa Elliot and George Goldsmid Elliot appears in The Names and Descriptions of Proprietors of all Government Funds and Securities Transferable at the Bank of England whose stock and Dividends have been transferred for the Reduction of the National Debt with the dates when the the first dividends respectively became payable thereon. London 1836

Nb The Elliot's had Consols dated Jan 1824.

Who is George Goldsmid Elliot and are these the same people as per George Elliot/Louisa Salomons?

Amanda
    Apologies-I should have said Benjamin Goldsmid Elliot- he died 1824 age 25 Batavia. I will look further tomorrow.

See Probate Benjamin Goldsmid Elliott late of the City of Batavia the Island of Java 31 Dec 1828 translated from the Dutch. His wife is named as Catherine Elliott formerly FRASER.
    I have seen on Ancestry.Co at least one family tree with this line and children.
    I would suggest a close check on the data to ensure accuracy.

The relationship between George Eliot can be seen in the following extract from Harold Pollin,1982 Economic History of the Jews in England P53. Referring to the death of Yehiel Prager aka Israel Levien Salomons and his business Pollins wrote..."None of the sons was capable of managing the London House, and the job fell to George Elliot, who had been a ship's captain on the East Indian route and who married a daughter of Yehiel Prager. But neither his efforts nor those of another son in law ,the financier Benjamin Goldsmid proved fruitful. The firm came to an end in 1796".

Another extract from Gedalia Yogev,1975 Diamonds and Coral:Anglo-Dutch Jews in eighteenth century trade refers also to the failure of the Salomons firm..." For several years Esther tried to save what remained of the business assisted by George Eliot ( an old friend of her brother Lieb) and supported by her son in law Benjamin Goldsmid and his brother Abraham..."

The History of the Frasers of Lovat,Alexander Mackenzie refers to the wife of Benjamin Goldsmid Elliot.."Katherine who had married Benjamin Goldsmid Elliot died at Inverness 7 Feb 1890 without issue."

Nb An Ancestry.Co family tree has Catherine aka Katheine Elliot nee Fraser dying in Canada. Caution is needed regarding the data.

Starting to feel at home

Hi Phillip
    Apologies for the time lapse in my reply, I have just got back from work and am catching up. You have been busy! That’s great to hear the info about George Elliot, that book does look very interesting!
    Hopefully I will get the chance to respond properly this evening
    Many thanks

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast